Server time (UTC): 2019-11-19, 11:37
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smokes

Clarification questions regarding databases?

Hi,

So my questions are regarding the hot topic of databases and what you can and can't do with them.

As the sample entry attached reads, there is clearly a forum account linked in their database example of Bela Kovar. Players can provide 'private frequencies' and can share discord or forum information, I think that's fair and reasonable and probably what has happened in the example. But I think its also fair to worry about anyone's information being filled out even if it wasn't gathered IC.

I understand people have checked forums for a long time to see if someone is online and playing or who their characters are; I imagine it's a hard call to make by staff using OOC information IC as you have to prove they know it but the website logs that information and that has been used as evidence. Now with a ledger, I can take all that information offline and refer to it whenever necessary. I'm not accusing anyone of doing that, I'm just saying it's possible. And If I were a member of staff, think about the information I could then put into a database/ledger if unchecked.

I'm personally worried with players having a massive amount of information that may or may not be gathered OOC. Currently as we all know, you can go in to most situations not knowing the other person, a blank slate so to say. We remember things through stories or experiences that are personal to ourselves. With a ledger, I might refer to information on it that I didnt experience, say a friend was robbed by Joe Smith. I might now rob Joe Smith or anyone he hangs out with based on something someone else in my group wrote.  Now I might not be punished for GearRP because I could just say 'Yeah his name is on our ledger, Jim Smokes said he was robbed by Joe Smith 5 weeks ago so we're going to rob him and go'. I might also see a characters name I've never personally met tied to forum user I may like or dislike, now that I have that information my encounter changes because I know exactly who it is. See where im going? 

Anyways, rant over. Here are my questions.

Will/Should ledgers be audited by staff members not part of a group, or is it a 'trust them with it' kind of policy?

What information can be put on a ledger? does that include discord usernames and forum names as 'private frequencies'?

Should players role play out when they check ledgers / should they announce IC that they are going to radio in and ask someone to run a check on information you provide? Or is it acceptable for them to just have the knowledge at hand?

What is preventing me and other groups from making a ledger full of forum names and their characters and announcing that said information was gathered in character through various means and other people?

If ledgers are to be role played in game, can they be found on say, a high ranking member or perhaps in a base? Can they even be found?

Should spies within a group be reasonably able to share a ledger with others? Could I take screenshots of a document (like a google doc or a spreadsheet) and share it with other groups as IC information or is that Metagaming?

Should they (ledgers/databases) be able to be checked by investigating staff members in reports or is it equivalent to just telling a story to a friend IC and therefor taken 'as is'?

Do entries in a ledger or database need to be signed (like in the example) or can I just dump random information into it without keeping a trail?

I think its a slippery slope (to audit) because eventually you'll just have to start checking everyone's discord and keeping an eye on all the channels, however I personally think there is an important difference between normal text information that is considered private and a database or ledger type system. I'd like to be clear on that.

Before I end, I want to say that I appreciate the effort Anarchy has put in to creating gun licenses and actually having a process where they can see who does and does not have a license and other important information regarding said individual. It allows them to further their role play without tripping over themselves. They set a big goal and are accomplishing it, which is great for them and the server as a whole. I also don't expect groups to memorize all that information, it's a lot to remember and they should have the ability to write it down and share it among themselves. I have nothing against them as a group and would just like some clarification from a member of staff on the issue. I know JimRP and Randy are always doing their best to make sure everything in Anarchy is up to order/code and something like this would never happen with them, but they/yall are the only example I have of a ledger/database.

Thank you for understanding!

I apologize for bringing something up that was only provided due to a pending report but I felt it was necessary to ask as I have not seen ledger/database role play before and want to have a clearer picture so I know what guidelines myself and others should be following.

2019-10-04 13_58_09-S1_ Metagaming_BadRp_Possible Invalid Execution_Possible Power gaming - VMC outs.png

2 minutes ago, Jim Smokes said:

Anyways, rant over. Here are my questions.

Will/Should ledgers be audited by staff members not part of a group, or is it a 'trust them with it' kind of policy?

No. Why would we? This is essentially a compilation of IC information they have obtained, no different then taking notes. I do this with all my characters, so I can remember who I've interacted with.

What information can be put on a ledger? does that include discord usernames and forum names as 'private frequencies'?

Anything anyone wants to put in a Ledger that they obtained ICly. Obviously Discord usernames/forum profile names would be used for an OOC reference, as players frequently use those to refer to their 'private frequencies'. There is no issue with doing this.

Should players role play out when they check ledgers / should they announce IC that they are going to radio in and ask someone to run a check on information you provide? Or is it acceptable for them to just have the knowledge at hand?

This is something that is case by case. If I'm the person filling out the ledger, I see no issue with claiming that I remember it. If it was someone elses entry, I'd encourage them to emote checking it out. This level of detail is something the staff team doesn't normally micromanage, as its part of the roleplay scenario.

What is preventing me and other groups from making a ledger full of forum names and their characters and announcing that said information was gathered in character through various means and other people?

Your personal integrity.

If ledgers are to be role played in game, can they be found on say, a high ranking member or perhaps in a base? Can they even be found?

If the individual keeping it wants to roleplay this out, sure. This is again not something staff is going to be micromanaging. There is for example a player that keeps a Journal, and I recall her saying it has been 'taken' from her, and she grants someone else access to it as an ingame thing. This is up to the individual player or players keeping the ledgers/documents.

Should spies within a group be reasonably able to share a ledger with others? Could I take screenshots of a document (like a google doc or a spreadsheet) and share it with other groups as IC information or is that Metagaming?

If you ICly have access to the document you can ICly steal information off the document. This is the same with any other form of spying.

Should they (ledgers/databases) be able to be checked by investigating staff members in reports or is it equivalent to just telling a story to a friend IC and therefor taken 'as is'?

If staff ever require it, access to the relevant parts should be offered up.

Do entries in a ledger or database need to be signed (like in the example) or can I just dump random information into it without keeping a trail?

You can do whatever you want, if your character doesn't keep track of it then there you go. The example you linked shows that this group does.

My answers are in purple. This is my stance on how things work. 🙂

Sign in to follow this