Server time (UTC): 2019-11-13, 18:42
Sign in to follow this  
Ruan

Suggestion: implement scarcity to game

Posted (edited)

I believe that there is a lack of scarcity dayzrp. You can find everything you need where ever you go.

There is nothing pushing people together. In an apocalyptic scenario like this, you can't loot the same town for almost two and haft years and still expect a can beans on the floor! That's the reason people are so spread out, and why most drama feels forced

I can tell you where you can find a lot of people and settlements. They are by the only things on the map that has some level of scarcity, guns. That has been a fact since the beginnings of standalone.

One suggestion, make food spawns rare in towns, and or move them to warehouse. This does two things; it encourages people to move to large towns, and it makes people take up some of the survival mechanics in-game. 

More importantly, what it does for RP. It encourages trade, and it legitimizes some professions in-game. The only thing that is worth trading in-game is guns and ammo, a want. If you add another tier to that, such as food ,a necessity, or medicine you will find that the people that have access to a lot of food can sell that for guns or protection.

What this survival RPG needs are the survival aspect. There is no scarcity, the very thing that brought civility to the world. all there is is a utopia with a bit of forced drama.

Edited by Ruan
Wording

I'm sure a person would have to completely alter game files, spawn rates, etc to achieve that, or create a mod that does so for said results. I'm also sure that this mod would conflict with every other mod installed in the server, as it wouldn't be able to alter the spawn rates of the items placed into the game by those mods, such as Mass'sManyItems, and the new vehicle and Base Fortification mods. While me personally I agree with the suggestion I don't see it happening easily if at all.

Now, this is an idea I can get behind to perhaps change up the type of gameplay experience that we have right now on the server.

It brings a mutual connection to those who like to focus particular aspects of the game.

1. PvP-orientated players who simply play on the server to commit hostilities of dominating the world and killing those who oppose them, versus the general civilian population who survives with what they have and band together in small clusters of nomadic groups across the map.

It takes these two "labels" on the spectrum of DayZRP player playstyles, and gives each end of the stick a purpose that rely on the other.

With can all say from experience that having too much PvP/Hostilities and having too much CampfireRP kills the server. There's always a balance, but it's these two classifications that cause a certain mentaility that just isn't always healthy in an apocalyptic environment, if you're strictly thinking upon what a real world scenario would be base on.

We should expect 2 1/2 years into the lore, to have difficulty finding the necessities, and this may bring some good ol' RP to the table between the players and groups.

I don't know man, I see where your coming from but I think its fine the way it is. Especially when you make one resource in set locations..... to me towns make sense... idk.  Mine as well just add in a Walmart in the server and tell players to go there to get food.... 🙂

Eh. It would be nice if areas had specialty items. Like the coast full of canned goods, fish, and medical supplies. The North full of military hardware. Imagine if essential items like food, meds, and vehicles only spawned at the coast, more people would travel there for sure, in contrast only pistols would spawn at the coast. The middle area of the map would spawn all manners of mid-tier gear like hunting rifles, shotguns, and police equipment.

Would be nice to see some sort of strategic resources (be it food, medicine, different kind of building materials, fuel, working power plant that can support whole South Zagoria or only selected grids) divided among the map for people to control and trade. But let stop dreaming, this is DayZ.

1 minute ago, DerrickStorm said:

Would be nice to see some sort of strategic resources (be it food, medicine, different kind of building materials, fuel, working power plant that can support whole South Zagoria or only selected grids) divided among the map for people to control and trade. But let stop dreaming, this is DayZ.

One thing you can do is take out food spawns in residential areas. then make an item, such as a crate of food, that spawns in industrial areas. that would probably be the most basic way of implementing this. only one item added, and some editing to the spawn tables. I'm sure it wont be that easy.

In my opinion, the only things that should be rare-ish are food and military weapons. Food should be the most rare of the two. Civilian weapons should be more common instead of military weapons.

I wouldn't mind military weapons being more scarce, but imma -1 the food. I spend most my time IG running from A to B trying to find people, cba to die of starvation.

-1. I come here to RP, not run around for 2 hours and not find anything, the more time you need to spend surviving the less time you have for RP'ing. Little to no loot = Less time RP'ing. More loo t= More time RP'ing.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Craig said:

-1. I come here to RP, not run around for 2 hours and not find anything, the more time you need to spend surviving the less time you have for RP'ing. Little to no loot = Less time RP'ing. More loo t= More time RP'ing.

I don't think it's going to be like that. Food shouldn't be rare, but It should be rare in places like towns. I would also be inclined to give more food to fresh spawns if that helped

I do believe making food a commodity though will significantly increase player interactions. Rp on the server is all he said she said bull shit, you only get robed for the shit you say. if you were to add something like this, you could get deeper reasons for conflict, for groups and players alike.

Plus you are placing more value to roles on the server. Right now there are no real roles outside of what is created via Rp. there is no need for fishermen, hunters or farmers. But if you add something like what I'm proposing they all of the sudden have value.

What this altimetly dose is get people moving and reling on each other, while still keeping most of the aspects that makes Dayzrp enjoyable. Instead of finding food in house, you can just find someone selling food, or go to a settlement.

If a campfire RP group wants to stay to themselves and survive, then there fishermen and hunter will need to feed them. It gives them responsibility in the group, makes them feel like they are contributing in a greater way, rather then just the Rping it being necessary.

If a large or hostel group wants to survive, they need to move to an industrial area, or make another group give them food.

This would give meaning to people on the server, while at the same time only slightly change the way people interact.

Edited by Ruan
Wording

Posted (edited)

Even thought I love this idea I feel that more areas need to be touched upon for RP getting to somewhat of a less staler form.
Gear does push people together as I remember when food was low I ran towards GM to get myself food and medical aid almost dying on my journey and it was honestly the most interesting RP scenario I've had here but as of now the atmosphere of the server has changed and so little by little it has just become about how many people you can fit under your belt or what CP people can join to gain rights.

Edited by Eagle

No

You limit where items spawn you limit where people actually go on the map for one. You also limit how much i'm actually going to enjoy this game, bc fuck looting for like 20 hours to find a handgun and all the magazines for every other handgun bc "scarcity". I genuinely hate this game when weapons etc. are scarce af. Don't mind food being a scarcity, but all other items should be accessible.

27 minutes ago, APositivePara said:

I genuinely hate this game 

Ftfy

I’d love if bullets and food were scarce enough to pose a challenge. Everything else is meh.

There is already a scarcity of some of the more popular items like the M4 and AK variant rifles, you can still find it in the world but there is a bigger chance that another player has already found it or is currently using it / storing it.

With that in mind, I think we have a decent scarcity, smaller unwanted items can be found in many places, highly sought after items are scarce.

I actually quite like this idea I find weapons and food and such quite easy to find it, would change the type of gameplay experience people would have so they may have to ally with others to survive for example food for weapons or ammo or trade weapons and ammo for food or medicine it would connect those together as we are now 2 and a half years from when the infection happened it would be more difficult to find things and would give a reason for both hostile, hero or neutral groups to trade. It would create interesting scenarios and interactions between people. 

5 hours ago, Eagle said:

about how many people you can fit under your belt or what CP people can join to gain rights.

Is that how DayzRP is meant to be played? Is this a life server, or is it survival server?

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

There is already a scarcity of some of the more popular items like the M4 and AK variant rifles, you can still find it in the world but there is a bigger chance that another player has already found it or is currently using it / storing it.

On the gun side, I'm actually indfrent to it. If we are talking real world, it would make sense that there are so much guns around. It's a country recovering from a civil war, and almost all of the population has died of... Plus you can't eat a gun. I don't mind the spawn rate to be honest if not more guns haha.

Posted (edited)

I don't know what you really want then if you are saying the weapon spawn rates are fine. Canned goods are already fairly rare, I barely even find them and instead I eat more grown vegetables or cooked game meat. What else could be done?

Also just so it's established, devs have stated that the loot economy is not as dynamic as it was pre-beta. It's now sorted into spawn types instead of spawn zones that were organized something like green, orange, red. Green being the coast, orange being the middle of the map, and red being the entire North. It use to be that high-tier military weapons would only spawn in NWAF, Tisy, or helis. Now it's just divided into general military. That means you have an equal chance of finding an AK at any checkpoint or small military base no matter where it is. Food and medicine also was mostly spawning at the coast, now it's just tagged under civilian or medical categories. In some ways pre-.59 was far superior then the current build. 

So it'd be kind of hard to do anything to make certain more rare without almost removing them entirely.

Edited by Zero

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Zero said:

I don't know what you really want then if you are saying the weapon spawn rates are fine.

I'm indifferent if it changes. If the community wants less guns that's fine.

(Side Note) 

If things play out how I would imagine, I think you'll fine less guns around anyways. Here's the my reasoning behind that. there are quite a few people that do gun running, because that's one of the only roles at the moment. I believe, by creating more roles people will naturally drift towards them.

26 minutes ago, Zero said:

Canned goods are already fairly rare; I barely even find them and instead I eat more grown vegetables or cooked game meat. 

I don't know about that, I find food all the time I threw away four bags of rice the other day, and it's not like I loot that often. It's all about your play style, if you already farm for your food, then you are set. But those that loot are then made reliant to those that make there own food. Or move to a place that can withstand them.

I could image box trucks taking pallets of food to anarchy already.

Edited by Ruan
Added Side Note

2 minutes ago, Ruan said:

I'm indifferent if it changes. If the community wants less guns that's fine.

I don't know about that, I find food all the time I threw away four bags of rice the other day, and it's not like I loot that often. It's all about your play style, if you already farm for your food, then you are set. But those that loot are then made reliant to those that make there own food. Or move to a place that can withstand them.

I could image box trucks taking pallets of food to anarchy already.

If that's the case then sure, canned foods could probably be lowered. I just don't find them that often.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ruan said:

Is that how DayzRP is meant to be played? Is this a life server, or is it survival server?

Life server, the whitelist Is easy as all hell and the RP nowadays has no flow to it expect in a few situations.

Edited by Eagle

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Life server, the whitelist Is easy as all hell and the RP nowadays has no flow to it expect in a few situations.

I guess my second question would be, should it be that way? and what can we do to change it, if its not something the community wants?

i think its necessary to make an unpopular decision though. if we make the game a bit harder, sure people may complain about the change. but if it brings people together in different ways, and it improves the RP, I'm all for it.

Edited by Ruan

Posted (edited)

Tbh I just think we should limit everything. Guns, ammo, food, medicine. Maybe up the civillian weapons a bit to counter-balance the scarcity of guns.

+1 from me though.

Edited by Duquesne
I'm a dumb

Get rid of everything and make people fight with sticks