Server time (UTC): 2019-11-12, 04:29
Sign in to follow this  
APositiveElmo

RE: Hostage Compliance

So, after a situation this evening whereby I was taken hostage and subsequently executed in a manner that I believe to be invalid, though I will not be pursuing a report on the matter as its not worth my time, an interesting point was raised to me by a friend of the player who shot me regarding the execution of hostages. After consulting this rule, the phrasing of it seems to me to be slightly ambiguous:

Spoiler
  • 4.6 If you successfully capture a player through a hostile action and then take him into your custody, he is now considered your hostage. You must do everything in your power to keep your hostages alive and in a relatively good health. That includes protecting them from external threats like zombies and leaving them with a realistic chance of survival when they are released. A character that is taken hostage may be executed once for a hostile incident that happened in the past where the hostage was personally responsible for, or participated in a death of your ally. In any other circumstances, hostages may only be executed in the following scenarios:

- Hostages do not comply with your demands after repeated requests or try to escape.

- Hostages pose a direct threat to you or your group, for example by picking up a weapon when not allowed to.

- Hostages do not value their life, for example they repeatedly talk back or insult you despite being told to stop.

- Approved group of the hostage or their allies refuse to negotiate or open fire on hostage takers.

- Demands from negotiations with approved group of the hostage have not been met after a reasonable time has elapsed.

Relevant text highlighted in bold for reference. The rule states that hostages may be executed if the approved group of the hostage or their allies refuse to negotiate or open fire on the hostage takers. My question is: does this include allies of the hostage that decide to go non-compliant after being initiated on after a short period of compliance and, if so, is this an intentional addition or an oversight in phrasing?

First off, sorry this was left for so long without an answer.

Now the rule does state that it includes allies of the hostage's group, however each situation like this is case by case.

If a hostage is killed due to their group/group allies deciding to fight back it can be considered ruleplay especially if a chance was there for the hostage takers to gain RP and work out a way before resorting to just pulling the trigger.

So like a lot of the rules its all situational but in general RP>PVP. No matter what the situation involves (taking a hostage, getting robbed by someone etc.) everyone should always ask themselves "I have kill rights but should I use them?" remember that with NLR rules that person you kill will not remember the situation meaning that it isn't only your RP that wont progress it is theirs aswell. Sometimes its better to take someone you have kill rights on hostage to gain greater RP storylines and grow your character rather than just getting the quick kill. 

Sign in to follow this