Server time (UTC): 2019-11-17, 08:51
Sign in to follow this  
Coco

Remove text initiation on moving cars

HostileRP on moving cars  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recently i've been hearing a lot of people complaining about this and all of them go like this: .

- You get your car and tell your boys to get in (3~4 people).

- You start driving to your location.

- On the distance you see a group of 2~5 people chilling on the road.

- You pass them, but not before this pops up in chat "Everybody in the vehicle put your fucking hands up or we will shoot you!".

- Think its one of your boys talking in the backseat but dont pay too much attention because youre focused on not crashing.

- *Bang* *Clack* *You're Dead*.

- Vehicle crashes and everyone falls unconscious.

- *Bang* *Bang* *Bang*

Honestly i feel like this should be made against the rules because there are ways to stop a car and realistically rob a car (Roadblock for example) and this would be better RP than just text with no emotive function.

Edited by Coco

I don't agree with Text initiation in general. 

I agree, as I've been in the exact situation described above. And frankly its extremely annoying that to drive a car you have to pay attention to your rev meter, the road, lag, and dayz car bugs on top of watching constantly for a text message to pop up. Also considering if I don't stop in 3 seconds (usually shorter with how most people like to count), which it takes much longer than that to read the message and fully stop the car, I'll be dead. I feel as though with this being an rp server, it should be realistic. So if I realistically can't hear someone talk, I can't hear them talk. They shouldn't be able to extend their range/avoid the existence of solid objects and background noise of an engine by using a text chat. 

Text is done cause cars are loud as fuck. It makes sense and should remain this way.

1 minute ago, APositiveElmo said:

Text is done cause cars are loud as fuck. It makes sense and should remain this way.

Yes but what im trying to say here is not on moving cars

Just now, APositiveElmo said:

That's precisely why text initiation shouldn't be allowed on cars. The driver wouldn't hear you telling them to put their hands up. Hence why you make a road block, then tell them after they stop the car. 

Naah, if its done over voice and you don't hear it we are gonna have the same topic but then its gonna be about invalid initations. 

As far as I remember, text initiation on cars were made necessary, because initiating only via voice always led to the argument in reports:
Accused: "But I initiated"
Victim: "But I couldnt hear you over the loud car."
Staff: "Any evidence?"
Both: "Nah."
- Problem - 
Text initiations are the only way to ensure that cars dont become mobile safezones, because initiating via voice on them doesnt work.

2 minutes ago, Malet said:

As far as I remember, text initiation on cars were made necessary, because initiating only via voice always led to the argument in reports:
Accused: "But I initiated"
Victim: "But I couldnt hear you over the loud car."
Staff: "Any evidence?"
Both: "Nah."
- Problem - 
Text initiations are the only way to ensure that cars dont become mobile safezones, because initiating via voice on them doesnt work.

simply slap some logs in the middle of the road, or a fence kit if you want to get fancy. Then they either stop or wreck their car and save you ammo/effort robbing them

Or even use the roadblocks that are already a part of the map. People slow down at those enough that they would hear voice chat.

Edited by Nexino

We put the rule in place for people who can't hear as they pass by, we can't remove it.

9 minutes ago, Nexino said:

simply slap some logs in the middle of the road, or a fence kit if you want to get fancy. Then they either stop or wreck their car and save you ammo/effort robbing them

Or even use the roadblocks that are already a part of the map. People slow down at those enough that they would hear voice chat.

Lemme pull a log out of my backpack.

Edited by TurkRP

14 minutes ago, TurkRP said:

Lemme pull a log out of my backpack.

I mean 90% of the map is nothing but trees lol. 

You want me to initiate on a car, not on a turtle

27 minutes ago, Nexino said:

simply slap some logs in the middle of the road

Abuse of game mechanics, my dude.

Is the rule no longer text AND voice? Regardless, bring back road block rules. 

Just now, Oy said:

Abuse of game mechanics, my dude.

Is the rule no longer text AND voice? Regardless, bring back road block rules. 

How? 

If I cut a tree down in the middle of the road IRL no cars are getting past. 

23 minutes ago, JimRP said:

We put the rule in place for people who can't hear as they pass by, we can't remove it.

The issue i have with it is that you wouldn't hear them IRL either. So IRL to stop a car someone would use a roadblock or something to stop them, not a magical text message. 

Just now, Nexino said:

How? 

If I cut a tree down in the middle of the road IRL no cars are getting past. 

You said "slap some logs", not a tree. If there's an actual tree across the road, that's something else ofc.

4 minutes ago, Oy said:

You said "slap some logs", not a tree. If there's an actual tree across the road, that's something else ofc.

Yeah I gotcha. 

I just dislike with this being an RP server that is as realistic as possible on a game, it has a rule that is completely unrealistic. 

Edited by Nexino

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Recently i've been hearing a lot of people complaining about this and all of them go like this: .

- You get your car and tell your boys to get in (3~4 people).

- You start driving to your location.

- On the distance you see a group of 2~5 people chilling on the road.

- You pass them, but not before this pops up in chat "Everybody in the vehicle put your fucking hands up or we will shoot you!".

- Think its one of your boys talking in the backseat but dont pay too much attention because youre focused on not crashing.

- *Bang* *Clack* *You're Dead*.

- Vehicle crashes and everyone falls unconscious.

- *Bang* *Bang* *Bang*

Honestly i feel like this should be made against the rules because there are ways to stop a car and realistically rob a car (Roadblock for example) and this would be better RP than just text with no emotive function.

-1 to this suggestion, here's why...

I'm personally leaning that Text Initiation should be required in order to initiate on a car. Not very easy to hear anyone over the roar of the engine, and frankly if you want to initiate on a car (via VOIP) you should setup an appropriate roadblock, that's obvious to the driver, or else they could just suspect someone is trying to KOS them.  I don't know about you, but if I think someone is KOSing me, I would evade their shots, and report them afterwards. The GMs don't need more reports to handle.

19 minutes ago, Oy said:
48 minutes ago, Nexino said:

---Abuse of game mechanics, my dude.---

I don't see how this is AOGM? You cut down some wooden logs and piled them onto the middle of the road; sorta like you would if you were placing barrels,boxes or some other obvious obstruction on the road.

Edited by Camo

3 minutes ago, Camo said:

I'm personally leaning that Text Initiation should be required in order to initiate on a car. Not very easy to hear anyone over the roar of the engine, and frankly if you want to initiate on a car you should setup an appropriate roadblock, that's obvious to the driver, or else they could just suspect someone is trying to KOS them.

I don't see how this is AOGM? You cut down some logs and piles them on the road, just like you would if you were placing barrels or some other obvious obstruction on the road?

Tbh I was picturing firewood logs when I replied at first. My derp brain not used to base building yet.

But even with big logs, it can be a bit iffy. I don't know how vehicles interact with items these days, but any decent sized truck would just roll right over them and keep going. There would have to be enough of them to make a proper road block, like you said, an obvious obstruction on the road. But then we're out of "slap some logs down" territory and talking about building appropriate roadblocks.

TL;DR: Bring back road block rules

9 minutes ago, Camo said:

-1 to this suggestion, here's why...

I'm personally leaning that Text Initiation should be required in order to initiate on a car. Not very easy to hear anyone over the roar of the engine, and frankly if you want to initiate on a car you should setup an appropriate roadblock, that's obvious to the driver, or else they could just suspect someone is trying to KOS them. I don't know about you, but if I think someone is KOSing me, I would evade their shots, and report them afterwards. The GMs don't need more reports to handle.

I don't see how this is AOGM? You cut down some wooden logs and piled them onto the middle of the road; sorta like you would if you were placing barrels,boxes or some other obvious obstruction on the road.

You just said above that you think to initiate on a car there should be some sort of obvious obstruction in the road...

1 minute ago, Nexino said:

You just said above that you think to initiate on a car there should be some sort of obvious obstruction in the road...

I'm confused by your statement? Yes, that is what I just wrote? What about it? 🤨

3 minutes ago, Oy said:

Tbh I was picturing firewood logs when I replied at first. My derp brain not used to base building yet.

But even with big logs, it can be a bit iffy. I don't know how vehicles interact with items these days, but any decent sized truck would just roll right over them and keep going. There would have to be enough of them to make a proper road block, like you said, an obvious obstruction on the road. But then we're out of "slap some logs down" territory and talking about building appropriate roadblocks.

TL;DR: Bring back road block rules

Ah, alright. Haha. Yeah, well, I mean, I thought it was a great example because it's the quickest way to build a roadblock with what you have on-hand. There's trees everywhere. Unless you can find 3-4 barrels nearby or have a car to block the center of the road.

I never heard of road block rules, was that a thing prior to the July 2017 lore wipe?

6 minutes ago, Camo said:

I'm confused by your statement? Yes, that is what I just wrote? What about it? 🤨

Ah, alright. Haha. Yeah, well, I mean, I thought it was a great example because it's the quickest way to build a roadblock with what you have on-hand. There's trees everywhere. Unless you can find 3-4 barrels nearby or have a car to block the center of the road.

I never heard of road block rules, was that a thing prior to the July 2017 lore wipe?

It was a thing back in mod days. It hasn't been attempted during standalone afaik.

I like the idea of road blocks taking some effort, though. With all these new barriers and tank traps, people could set up some pretty damn decent road blocks if they put in the time and effort.

2 hours ago, Nexino said:

That's precisely why text initiation shouldn't be allowed on cars. The driver wouldn't hear you telling them to put their hands up. Hence why you make a road block, then tell them after they stop the car. 

Text is, for purposes of character communication and excluding emotes, audible in-game; therefore the driver can hear a text initiation. It is easy to pay attention to the location which the text comes from, if you miss it, you're blind or not paying attention and that is your fault, not the initiators. 

No need to fix what's not broken, leave it as it is.

This rule is to benefit you in the car! So if you don’t hear it you can now see it also due to the car being stupidly loud, I don’t see why you’d want it to be removed, it’d just end up in reports “I didn’t hear you say stop the car so shouldn’t of fired at me” 

As Malet has said, voice is hard to hear in many situations. If you can hear voice, good on you, but everyone does not have the same hearing. Some people have to turn down their volume to hear IG voice. Text initiation is by far the safest way to KNOW if there was an initiation.

With a text initiation, you know what is happening, as it is there on your screen to understand. If it was all focused on voice, I BET money you would never understand the initiation and cars would be the definition of "You can't shoot me cause I'm protected by the rules."

Placing shit in the road is going to make it worse as some things, at high speeds, do not load in on time and you may as well consider yourself dead if there was something in the road that has not loaded in yet.