Sign in to follow this  
APositiveElmo

5 Points

Link to the source of punishment (report/post): 

Spoiler

image.png.d2abe15f1148c393644f1271026a7cb5.png

image.png.dd407348be94b0c1bf970d6f2bb17782.png

Why the verdict is not fair:

Well, let's get the obvious out of the way first, there is nothing NSFW about this photo. There is no gore, there is no nudity, it is just a patriotic politician next to the Irish tricolour. Its no different to a picture such as this:

Spoiler

1sPnBnj.jpg   

Gerry Adams has strenuously denied any membership of the Irish Republican Army and any associated splinter groups. Furthermore, he has been arrested by British authorities for allegedly being a member of the IRA, only to later be let go due to insufficient evidence. He is an Irish politician, a member of the Sinn Féin party, that I follow and personally respect, plus he's got some cracking meme potential, hence my profile picture. Sinn Féin are a recognised and legitimate political party in the Republic of Ireland and are in no way considered an extremist group; they do in fact hold seats in the Northern Irish Assembly, the Irish Dáil Eireann and the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Culturally, socially and politically they are important to the fabric of our nation and labelling them as an extremist group is not only offensive, but ignorant of the role they played in establishing peace in Northern Ireland. A quick Google search and a glance at their wikipedia pages will confirm this. I have linked these resources for the benefit of staff:

Furthermore, there have been numerous instances of posts of men like Che Guevara, Joseph Stalin, Kim Il-Sung, Kim Jong-Un and many other controversial politicians on these forums that have not received points. I believe staff simply looked at the Irish flag and whose profile I posted on before deciding that I was making an IRA meme and pointed me.

What would you like to achieve with this appeal: Points revoked, staff educated.

What could you have done better?: Nothing.

Edited by APositiveElmo

Hi Elmo,

A separate team of staff have looked over the original punishment and your reasoning stated in the appeal and have deemed the points to be justified.

Regardless of whether the person mentioned in the status update is or isn't connected to the IRA, we believe that this status update was only posted in order to provoke the ongoing IRA situation staff have had to handle within the last two days and only served the purpose to provoke staff decisions and stir the pot more.

Therefore, we believe that the staff team handing out the points at the time made the right decision.

With the above said, the following applies:
/Appeal Denied, Points remain

Signed: @Phoenix & @Peril w/ notes