Server time (UTC): 2019-11-22, 11:28 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Glitch

Deer Isle is dope

Why does no one play on a new map full of secrets and unique locations. The map is smaller too so you don't have to work as hard to find RP. Just curious as to what keeps some on Chernarus? 🙂

I like not being chased by 1000 infected for sneezing.

@AndreyQ and I agree, Deer Isle is the superior map. We’re starting free running lessons in Stonington this week 😎

I hate the map. Course though my only experience of it was wandering around in the dark, sleep deprived and high off my ass so I might just be biased.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Chernarus is obviously the better map as it's actually completed. I don't understand why people like this one though. It's simply just like playing on an unfinished blown up Utah Island from Arma 2. I personally don't care for it mostly due to the fact that alot of the towns and maps, roads and such, are simply laid out in a way that makes little to no sense IRL. Sure, SZ's railroads don't make much sense either but yikes. Having a road wide around through massive untextured field gives me edge of map vibes from the OG map from mod anyway. 

Modders shouldn't waste their time with creating Original Content and should just bring back things from Mod that we loved and crave. It's why SA started in the first place because they fueled their success on nostalgia. Sure it took em a number of years to bring it into something of its own and workable but at least now it's truely something that pulls enough from the old and adds in the new features to appeal to new and old players alike. Bring back Namalsk. I would die for that, creepy atmosphere and weather all. 

TL:DR Deer Isle = 👎

Edited by Kolya Vorona

When it rains in deer isle its like playing Russian roulette with a full cylinder. That or the fact its Black Friday everyday for zombies. I love Deer isle it just needs a bit of work with the rain I enjoy the zombies and the lore but Chernarus is the place that we all know and love.  

I was interested in checking out deer isle but I was unsure of what happens to your character when you switch. maybe someone can explain what happens to me?

16 minutes ago, rhothar said:

I was interested in checking out deer isle but I was unsure of what happens to your character when you switch. maybe someone can explain what happens to me?

You just have to reloot. You will have two separate physical players but the same character. So in your case you will be Thomas on both maps.

9 minutes ago, Glitch said:

You just have to reloot. You will have two separate physical players but the same character. So in your case you will be Thomas on both maps.

Thank you for your response. In that case I am going to check out deer isle the next chance I get. sounds like a fun place 😆

I love Deer Island. The zombies are finally a challenge

Took down about 90 in the industrial part of Stonington just before the server crashed. No I didn't count them, but I one shot each in the head for 3 AK74 mags worth. Fun times.

Map is cool. Smaller maps are always better imo because they can be a lot more unique. Chernarus is so bad because there are probably four or five unique locations, the rest are just copy pasted towns. It’s a shame it was decided to deer isle in Chernaus Commie Land and not set in the United States of Freedom. Getting tired of maps I can not relate to. If it was set in Western Europe then that would be better. Eastern Europe is just so different in terms of culture and history. It's cool, don't get me wrong, but a map set in the U.S. would be amazing.

Edited by Zero

Yeah the map is an absolute blast but people complain about it due to multiple reasons.

Too many infected.

This is actually what makes the map so fun to play. On Chernarus I can run into any place without using any part of my brain and I will survive just fine. I can't do the same on Deer Isle. People been wanting a lore wipe for such a long time now and while Deer Isle is still in the current lore, it provides the feeling of something fresh with the amount of zombies that are around. Having to sneak into place and actually use my brain when moving around is so much fun and engaging.

Map is not finished.

I do agree that the map is still WIP, no one was hiding that. However, it is mostly the north part of the map that is lacking. There are points of interest all over the map, that make Chernarus look like the most boring and stale map. That is actually the problem that Chernarus has, is that while finished, most towns are just copy and paste. There are barely any place on the map that are amazing and set a nice stage for RP. If there are they are all set in opposite points on the map or remote ones that barely anyone goes to. Compare that to Deer Isle, where the main town itself has so many little secrets and places to explore that are not in eye sight. And that is only one town. There are multiple spots around the map that look sick.

Most RP that I got from Deer Isle has been pretty good. Interactions feel different and I enjoy finally exploring places that I have never been before and finding out the cool secrets of the map. Of course Deer Isle does have its issue and most of them aren't even because of the map. My main issue with it has been changing from S1 character to my S2 one. While the timer is 6 hours it is still plenty of time and does not encourage much people to try the map. I wanna play on Deer Isle but I also have to hop on Chernarus and play with my group. This wouldn't be a problem if staff could just reset the timer for such characters as it is as clear as day that there is no alt abuse(reason for the timer in the first place), but for whatever reason is not so easily possible.

Overall, I enjoy playing on the map and find it more fun than Chernarus. Hope people pick up on it more and realise the beauty that it holds.

A good point that is brought up is that Deer Isle isn't supposed to be "everything the same, just different terrain". The difficulty is increased, the spawns are different, it is supposed to be a different experience than good old Chernarus so that you the players have a choice and can play the version that you prefer. Which I think is perfect, because we all like different things and having a choice to play the setting that you personally enjoy motivates people to keep playing.

I hope the same will happen with upcoming official DayZ DLC map, as well as Namalsk that is being worked on by modders and each of those maps will have their unique atmosphere, game play style and target audience.

Personally I just kind of find deer Isle boring. Not my cuppa tea. Way too many infected too for my liking.

Can we just remove the top section of deer isle, like splice it off?

Smaller map is actually p pog, and whilst i haven't spent much time on Deer Isle it was so much easier to navigate and I bumped into so many people on my way to my frens.  

1 hour ago, APositivePara said:

Can we just remove the top section of deer isle, like splice it off?

Smaller map is actually p pog, and whilst i haven't spent much time on Deer Isle it was so much easier to navigate and I bumped into so many people on my way to my frens.  

Im afraid we can't, but given that we can define the moving toxic zone from the toxic zones mod, maybe we can also define that debug (anywhere unfinished) also becomes toxic.

It's just a thought, I haven't explored the ability.

29 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Im afraid we can't, but given that we can define the moving toxic zone from the toxic zones mod, maybe we can also define that debug (anywhere unfinished) also becomes toxic.

Make the north part a KOS zone. I'll deal with the rest.

39 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Honestly stuff to limit the playing field would be dope. Force more RP spots, still keep the map nice and open to explore but the current size of deer isle feels nice. I can run from one side to the other in about 20 minutes, bump into multiple people. Solid. 

Now that we have toxic zone mod on the server, we can deploy it on the unfinished part of the map,

Players are split between the two servers (on time it was 30 on chernaurus and 25 on deer isle) i really dont like that 😞

45 minutes ago, Coco said:

Players are split between the two servers (on time it was 30 on chernaurus and 25 on deer isle) i really dont like that 😞

Nothing wrong with variety. 2k hours on the same map gets stale after a while

I dislike deer isle. I feel like its been rushed in multiple "finished" areas, also I do not think a small map is necessary better for RP. because as a hostile rp'er you need alot of distance between you and the victim after the entire situation. or else it will become a constant gun fight each time

Edited by C-J

I found the map very tiny (I know it's unfinished) But I also dislike how it splits the playerbase. Kinda sucks when you search for a specific individual for a day just to realize their not even on the same server.

I've played for maybe 5 hours on the island. Its just there is more RP for me on the Chernarus map. Since I rarely leave camp there would also be no logical explenation for me to leave to the island.