Server time (UTC): 2019-11-14, 20:11
Deer Isle Purge
TODAY | 2019-11-15 00:01:00 (server time) | Starts in 3 hours, 49 minutes | Deer Isle Server | PvP
Sign in to follow this  
PhoenyxxRP

Tempban for WIP Character Page

Greetings,

Another one of those 'invalid character page' threads. Not looking to stir trouble but seriously questioning what the goal of this is. 

Recently it seems like staff has started to look at certain members character profiles, looking for the flaws/etc. Props, but why the sudden change? There are some new white lists being accepted that have character pages that are insanely inaccurate to lore and to Chernarus has, just wondering why it's suddenly peaked the staffs interest to threaten a tempban on certain players.

For example, my recent message from a support member was because I had a WIP character set as active. The reasoning behind this character being WIP, since I needed to explain to the support member, is because if I kept a certain main character of mine active, it would be metagamed while the other character I have is archived and no longer apart of the story therefore I can't set her to active. So in order to avoid both scenarios, I made a WIP character and haven't had the time to make a backstory because of work and school. I also haven't even been on the server for 3 days.

This means that I cannot join the server, even if active, until I have filled out a 500 word bio. Meaning it saying WIP won't allow me to play and get active time on this character. Yet, I'm being told to complete it or receive a tempban? Seems a little odd due to the fact that I can't even join the server. Plus i have had WIP profiles up before, and have seen plenty of people with WIP up before but never once heard of them being Tempban or told they would be tempban if they didn't fix it. 

Note: the support member heard me out and agreed not to tempban me as long as i dont have 'active hours' on that character (which again... can't do that if I dont have 500 words in the bio right..?). However still trying to figure out why this seems to be the gameplan for staff currently in regards to character pages.

So my question for you guys to answer in case you don't want to read the above is:

- Why the sudden change? It feels like character profiles really didn't matter in the past as I've seen all kinds of character pages from robots, to dogs, to 10ft giants.

- What is the point of singling out members and threatening a tempban upon them when this hasn't really been the case in the past. Ya'll can argue that it's been a thing since 2018 or whatever, but I have never heard of this occurring nor have seen this happen. (Others have agreed that they haven't heard of this either)

- If i cant join the server with an active character that says WIP, why even go out of your way to message someone to tell them what they know needs to be done? Isn't this just a waste of staff time? Couldnt this time be spent doing other things to increase the enjoyment of the server?

- Why does it feel like only certain people are being singled out for these things? There are whitelists being accepted that are breaking the same 'rules' you are pushing on other members and current members with the same WIP as mine that haven't received the same message that I did. Is it an individual discretion for staff (when it comes to both viewing whitelisted users character profiles and new whitelist applicants)? (if thats true, maybe think about making a standard procedure of things character profiles need to have included for staff to follow and stick too)

The only reason I ask if its individual discretion is because upon whitelisting several months back, my application was denied for 'lack of detail' in which apparently 6 paragraphs of detail pertaining to arriving in chernaus wasn't enough yet my friends who whitelisted at the same time, just met the 500 word limit and had no detail about arriving in chernarus.. yet they were accepted right way.

Anyway thanks for your time! 😄

Again just looking to clear up some things bouncing around in my head. 

Greetings,

I'll do my best to answer your questions. If there is something that I miss, or you question has not been answered, you are more than welcome to ask again and I'll be more than happy to talk with you about these questions via private message if you do not wish to continue via this thread!

- Why the sudden change? It feels like character profiles really didn't matter in the past as I've seen all kinds of character pages from robots, to dogs, to 10ft giants.

There has not been a sudden change, the staff team have been taught this since 2018 and I know for a fact since I joined staff almost 6 months ago, every single staff member has been taught this is the way we operate. We are currently discussing where to go from here in regards to character pages and we will hopefully have the issue resolved within a few days. With the new system we are discussing, things will become much more clear and will also ensure that everybody know's what is acceptable and what is not.

- What is the point of singling out members and threatening a tempban upon them when this hasn't really been the case in the past. Ya'll can argue that it's been a thing since 2018 or whatever, but I have never heard of this occurring nor have seen this happen. (Others have agreed that they haven't heard of this either) & If i cant join the server with an active character that says WIP, why even go out of your way to message someone to tell them what they know needs to be done? Isn't this just a waste of staff time? Couldnt this time be spent doing other things to increase the enjoyment of the server?

I can assure you though, that nobody is being singled out. Each and every new character page is checked to ensure that there is no lore conflicts amongst making sure the information is correct. If you have an older character that has been flagged up, it's due to the character being reported. When below 500 characters, supports usually keep an eye to ensure the character hasn't been made an active character, if your character is a WIP and inactive, it will be left to check at a later date. However, should you have an active character that is a current WIP, you are sent a reminder to get it fixed before heading on and playing, this is the way it has been for at least 6 months since I joined staff. The temp ban is part of the template provided for supports to use when they first join the team and it's most likely a mis-communication when it comes to you being temp banned when you haven't filled in the 500 characters for the backstory yet.

- Why does it feel like only certain people are being singled out for these things? There are whitelists being accepted that are breaking the same 'rules' you are pushing on other members and current members with the same WIP as mine that haven't received the same message that I did. Is it an individual discretion for staff (when it comes to both viewing whitelisted users character profiles and new whitelist applicants)? (if thats true, maybe think about making a standard procedure of things character profiles need to have included for staff to follow and stick too)

During the whitelist process, the Gamemasters are looking at what people's writing skills are like, as well as making sure that they do not conflict the lore in anyway and to find out how and when they made it to Chernarus, the issue is that most newly whitelisted players create complete new characters with backstories that are completely different to what their character was within the whitelist. For the whitelisted players that use the same backstories, the support team pick up on and check to ensure that all the little details are correct. They will go into more detail than during the whitelist for the reasons stated above. In addition, the other characters pages that people think are invalid and have been reported have most likely been private messaged already and we are waiting for them to fix it or they have already been temp banned but have never fixed it, that is what is comes down to, not staff members targeting certain members. As for your point about a standard procedure, this is something that is currently being discussed and will be implemented within the coming days to ensure that everyone is on the right track. You must also be aware that it is at the discretion of the specific support member on whether to accept a character page or not and with the ongoing discussions and changes that will be made, adding a standard procedure is something we are looking into so that we can improve on the character page checks.

I hope I managed to answer your questions, if I missed something out or you need anything else answered, you are more than welcome to ask away and I'll do my best to answer any further questions that you may have.

Sign in to follow this