Server time (UTC): 2019-11-19, 06:38
Sign in to follow this  
Mirotvurce

RP language

Hey guys, I'm new here in the community and still waiting to be whitelisted, to shorten my waiting I already thinking about some inGame features which I didnt find specified anywhere. One of them is main language used. So I have a few questions:

1. what is the main language in RP?
2. Is it problem to talk czech and occasionally english if required when my character is built on that language?
3. is Chernarus main language russia?

Thanks for response.

1: English, despite many different roleplay backgrounds, we still use English because not everyone is multi-lingual. 

2: Yes and no. If you talk Czech whilest RPing with other individuals it can be seen as an issue, I recently saw a report with this mentioned, will update when I find it.

Voodoo: "-name redacted- and -name redacted- looking over the video evidence we can hear your group speaking in another language other than English. We advise for the benefit of all involved that when in a situation such as this you speak English so that everyone in the situation can understand what is going on especially those you hold as a hostage."

3. Fae got that one, my bad.

Edited by Gaden

The main language is RP, speaking Czech is fine but most people wont understand you.

The main language in Chernarus is Czech.

Ehm.

Main language is a fictional one called chernarussian. It is basically Czech tho.

Just now, AndreyQ said:

Ehm.

Main language is a fictional one called chernarussian. It is basically Czech tho.

Thats what I mean, yes, oops. Its called Chernarussian but it is just Czech

Awesome, that'll make it so much easier for me since I'm from Czech Republic. I understand that it could be difficult to communicate but its part of the RP. 

6 minutes ago, Mirotvurce said:

Awesome, that'll make it so much easier for me since I'm from Czech Republic. I understand that it could be difficult to communicate but its part of the RP. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to put in your character bio that your character knows Czech. I guess to back up anything involving language. At least that is what I was told. 

Either way, welcome!

Just now, Crimson_Tiger said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to put in your character bio that your character knows Czech. I guess to back up anything involving language. At least that is what I was told. 

Either way, welcome!

My character comes directly from Cherno but I'll surely specify it if I past whitelisting.

I usually throw in a single czech word or two into most english sentences. You can also speak a full short sentence in czech and then repeat it in english so everybody can uderstand. The problem that you may encounter is some people RP being Chernarussian without fluently nor basicly knowing the czech language so you speaking fully czech and them not understanding would lead to some confusing situation. You just have to find a good balance so everybody is happy.

Edited by DerrickStorm

I speak Russian a bit when I RP...

Whenever I understand other side knows Russian I try to speak to them as soon as I get they might not know it as well or I am struggeling, I quickly say: "oh sorry actually we should continue in English now..."

I also pretend sometimes my character forgets to speak English: 

So when I meet someone I say something in Russian then give it 1-2 second paus and then say in English with a thick accent "sorry, what I meant was..." 

So make it good for all is a good advice 🙂

Edited by Shanoby

I sometimes speak Czech when it fits the RP, but I translate in //OOC text chat if there are characters who speak the language present. I say a sentence or two tops, then switch back to English, partly because I don't want to confuse the other party and also because I can't be bothered typing it down. 

English for generall speaking. Use short czech phrases specially playing Czech  / Chernarusian character it makes special addition @Major you got one more soul to harvest here.

Besides im from Czech rep. too so hit me with anything you need  @Mirotvurce - peacemaker eh? we can go even on voice if you need and want .

Edited by PaulB

so @Craig once knocked me off guard when i was in domordci and asked in a serious voice 'why when there is noone around do we not speak in chernarussian'. I literally thought he was serious for a few seconds

16 minutes ago, andysuter said:

so @Craig once knocked me off guard when i was in domordci and asked in a serious voice 'why when there is noone around do we not speak in chernarussian'. I literally thought he was serious for a few seconds

It was something along those lines, for a moment I thought you were gonna type about that time in Kab when I said a certain word.

Just now, Craig said:

It was something along those lines, for a moment I thought you were gonna type about that time in Kab when I said a certain word.

haha... no... that was the best RP moment ive ever seen but deffo not for use on the forum lol

I haven't read through all the responses because I'm tired and lazy. Here's the deal, and frankly I don't give 3 adjacent fucks what the rules say on not using other languages or the people who got yelled at by GM's because they spoke some other language occasionally in-game for the purposes of immersion or verisimilitude, because that's stupid we are big boys and girls here and can handle stuff like that. I'm not talking about in hostilities I'm talking about generally. 

The obvious exception is some stupid Bulgarian kid who is like 16 years old and manages to BS the whitelist and literally speaks nothing but that the entire time in-game and has no knowledge of English and therefore can't navigate the world of rp and subsequent hostilities. 

English is English.

Czech is Czech. 

Chernarussian is Czech but we don't call it Czech, native Chernarussian characters speak Chernarussian. It's the same language but this isn't seen as odd ICly because it just exists as two different languages. Confusing? Don't think about it too hard. Calling the Chernarussian language as spoken by Chernarussian characters Czech ICly would be world breaking, as the accents are typically different canonically.

People should speak English normally with occasional additions of whatever their second language is at their discretion. Some people who have played cartel members will use Spanish slang and basic greetings and phrases. If two such individuals were both fully fluent speakers then if they are walking behind their group having a conversation in Spanish then that's just cool for passerby's and for their immersion on a broad level. If I'm hiding nearby and I hear that it is going to provide an extra level of RP for me as my character doesn't speak Spanish. I don't know what they are saying. That's cool, and it beats this: *speaks in Spanish* "We are going to Lopatino and meeting the Redeemers"

Same for Chernarussian. Don't impede comprehension for non-speakers in times where what is being said must absolutely be understood, IE firefights, run-up hostilities, etc. 

Russian was the predominant language from the State's point of view until 1991, and prior to that date Chernarussian speaking would probably mainly have been done outside institutions as the Soviets would have clamped down on all non-Soviet or non-Russian culture and language. The Chernarussians have reclaimed this properly, and now Russian is just considered a language most ethnic Chernarussians can understand and might use even if not as their main language. Somewhat similar to the ethnic differences of pro-Ukrainian areas versus Donbass pro-Russian areas. 

The Chernarussian language is a form of Czech that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. It is perfectly fine to speak it in game, but please do keep in mind that this is an English server and it is important that you prioritize the use of English over the use of any form of Czech. Especially in larger situations.

8 minutes ago, Hebirura said:

The Chernarussian language is a form of Czech that uses the Cyrillic alphabet.

Is it tho? Signs in cyrillic are just a post-soviet souvenir, at least from what I understand. For example look at hospitals (small clinic and big buildings), where on the walls you'll find informations in both Czech and Russian language.

Edited by DerrickStorm

7 minutes ago, DerrickStorm said:

Is it tho? Signs in cyrillic are just a post-soviet souvenir, at least from what I understand. For example look at hospitals (small clinic and big buildings), where on the walls you'll find informations in both Czech and Russian language.

Correct.

3 hours ago, DerrickStorm said:

I've always been under the impression that this was the case, that's the way I've always had it laid out to me when I asked the question.

Edited by Hebirura

6 hours ago, Hebirura said:

I've always been under the impression that this was the case, that's the way I've always had it laid out to me when I asked the question.

It's a fair mistake due to like 98% signs being in Russian. Also most of the countries that were under "influence" of ZSRR have some sort of "souvenirs". Novodmitrovsk? Nope - Poland:

Spoiler

palac-kultury-i-nauki-w-warszawie_1.jpeg

Edited by DerrickStorm

4 hours ago, DerrickStorm said:

It's a fair mistake due to like 98% signs being in Russian. Also most of the countries that were under "influence" of ZSRR have some sort of "souvenirs". Novodmitrovsk? Nope - Poland:

Hide contents

palac-kultury-i-nauki-w-warszawie_1.jpeg

I'm aware of that much. I was more thinking the case that the country ended up like Mongolia and others with their language that ended up just switching completely to the Cyrillic alphabet. But, the more you know.

Edited by Hebirura

I always find it best to just learn a few phrases and words in Czech if you're playing a character who understand the language. But I always RP *Speaks in Chernorussian* before typing out a sentence to keep it wavy.