Server time (UTC): 2019-12-10, 01:09 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Zero

When does “Role-Play > Rule-Play” come into effect???

It appears another one of my friends has bitten the dust, though I admit my bias I would ask this question even if it was a random community member. Does the term “roleplay over ruleplay” ever come into effect, and if so when does it?

The situation that led to a ban (not his permanent removal) seems like this situation would go with the latter, as in rolands example in Eagles question (or is it an appeal?) he cites examples of when this would take effect and has. It just seems kind of dumb to ban someone over something like this when it makes sense in the situation.

I also had the same feelings when Nihoolious was banned a few years back after someone challenged him to a fight and he knocked him unconscious with a bat (might have killed him). Nihoo was hit with a rule break over the situation which was extremely fucking stupid given that the two parties agreed to a duel (no rules were set). 

Edited by Zero

Well to me roleplay over ruleplay comes into effect where although by rules you are allowed to do something yet for the sake of RP you should not do.

My example would be I raid a police station and you show up by starting to run into it.

I say: "please stay away I'm looting this place, you can have your chance once I'm done..."

You deny me that and keep pushing me. I'm afraid for my life so I tell you to get out of building or I am forced to shoot you. I do not know who you are so, I go into defence mode.

That is initiation dropped.

Now lets say you have 6 friends outside and tell them this guy just initiated one me, lets kill him. Or maybe you are alone, does not matter.

Although you have various ways to solve it:

1) you leave me be

2) you come and try to kill me with your friends or alone without telling me you got backup.

3) surround the building and wait for me to come out and surrender, to then rob me/ torture me or just talk.

If you choose the 2nd one you instantly cut off RP and it will end with my or yours death and no RP left.

That is small and simple example I do believe where RP could be done yet, for the sake of bloodlust and gear I or you get killed instead.

Edited by Shanoby

This is a tough one. The only example of Rule-Play I have seen comes from a conflict on a group I was once part of. Even Roland called it sketchy despite rules having been broken and not broken. I personally didn't have anything on me but due to the questionable behavior of the group(s) it led to a report war and a Rule-Play. 

I still believe that if the rival group had just made their intentions clear first and foremost then a lot of the Rule-Play could have been avoided. But it's in the past and I just filed the event under the "Experience" tab in my mind. I see the value of communication even more than ever. 

I think to avoid this conflict of Rule-Play > Role-Play, just apply more communication. If the other side isn't communicating, doesn't mean you shouldn't. 

9 hours ago, Shanoby said:

Well to me roleplay over ruleplay comes into effect where although by rules you are allowed to do something yet for the sake of RP you should not do.

My example would be I raid a police station and you show up by starting to run into it.

I say: "please stay away I'm looting this place, you can have your chance once I'm done..."

You deny me that and keep pushing me. I'm afraid for my life so I tell you to get out of building or I am forced to shoot you. I do not know who you are so, I go into defence mode.

Now lets say you have 6 friends outside and tell them this guy just initiated one me, lets kill him. Or maybe you are alone, does not matter.

1) you leave me be

2) you come and try to kill me with your friends or alone without telling me you got backup.

3) surround the building and wait for me to come out and surrender, to then rob me/ torture me or just talk.

If you choose the 2nd one you instantly cut off RP and it will end with my or yours death and no RP left.

That is small and simple example I do believe where RP could be done yet, for the sake of bloodlust and gear I or you get killed instead.

Well said. 

"Rule play" is prioritizing the "rules" over the "Role play." 

To give you an example that can be interpreted fairly universally. 

I hold up a man, tell him to put he hands up and to say absolutely nothing or I'll kill him. 

He simply says "I'll comply" 

And I proceed to shoot him. This is ruleplay. Because I technically had kill rights because he didn't listen to what I said, but I should not have used those kill rights because he was being compliant and all he said was that he would listen. 

Essentially, if there is roleplay to be had, don't use the rules literally to just gas your enemies. Make the situation fun.

Happy roleplaying.

17 hours ago, Shanoby said:

1) you leave me be

This could actually be considered baiting. Because if you force somebody to initiate on you with your actions and he does indeed initiate on you, and you have marksmen placed all around and kill him the second he does it, it's baiting. 

4.7 You may not bait other players into situations where you provoke the player into using hostile actions and then using kill rights to kill them. This is known as baiting.

Edited by Gaden