Server time (UTC): 2019-11-13, 08:32
Sign in to follow this  
Basko

Realistic Farming

''Realistic Farming''

Farming in dayz has always been a great way to spent time around campsites while still being productive. From searching for the necessary tools to the start of a garden plot and the moment of harvest. The rewards of a good farm can help camps out a lot, because maintaining a steady food supply is something every camp needs to work on. Although at the moment it is too easy. Getting a full harvest only takes a short amount of time and garden lime doesn't even serve a purpose at the moment, because the growing speed is already really fast. These are all changes that came along with 1.0 while it was more balanced in 0.63 in my opinion. There are a couple of small things that need changing to make farming more interesting, fun and time consuming again.

- Increase the time it takes for the plant to grow to its complete state 
(garden lime becomes more usefull, because it will actually make a change in growing speed again)

- Increase the time between the following harvests

- Decrease the amount of food per harvest

Let me know what you guys think about this!

1266265635_dayzrp1.jpg.fedcb7b9692fde3d195e3e4319143fa7.jpg

I agree to this.

Gardening is really way too easy and fast right now. I would like to see some change in here, though I think with the above stated changes, there should be one more change be added. The harvested food is not really that good against hunger, you have to eat a ton of it to actually really be full. I'm of course not speaking of making it the super food, yet it should give a bit more to deal with, when time and everything is increased to balance things a little bit.

It would also be nice if you could grow potatoes, though I'm not sure if that's in reach right now.

+1

I support this whole heartedly. It will create a stronger need for farmers and characters based on survival over military skill.

55 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

+1

I support this whole heartedly. It will create a stronger need for farmers and characters based on survival over military skill.

This will also be more important with the new changes to food in the next dayz update with possible food poisoning from rotten or infected food .

Farming community would be nice especially on deer island map 

yes please! Farming is so odd right now you can have a tent full of food in minutes! 

Can't help but agree.

Could also help with roleplay too, I've seen people with one garden plot down calling themselves a farm. Perhaps if this happens I'll get to see a full damn farm, tens of plots everywhere and people working their asses off. That'd be nice.

Actually makes a lot of sense, I believe these would be good changes to make for the server. We could also manually adjust it depending on the season i.e. Drastically reduce growth rate in winter while it is its fastest around autumn or spring.

As the person who was solely in charge of farming while part of a settlement group i +1 this 100%

Farming takes way too short of time and the harvest you get is gigantic compared to the time you spent farming. By farming for 40 min i easily filled up a car tent with food for out group. While this was nice sure it doesn't make sense at all. I didn't use plant material either cause i couldn't be arsed if i had it might have taken only 30 min. There is no need to use plant material because shit goes fast af. 

Personally i'd like to see farming become more dynamic than dig + plant + water once and done. If we really want to enhance farming, A) make it take longer, B) make it yield slightly less so it can't be relied upon 24/7, C) make it so that you have to water maybe once or twice more.

But ye nerf farming, make it something that takes more work / longer to carry out.

Imagine asking the developers to waste time changing how farming works.

Sounds about boring to me, -1

5 minutes ago, JackZRP said:

Imagine asking the developers to waste time changing how farming works.

Sounds about boring to me, -1

There have been a lot of talks on the forum about people being bored and not having something to do. While farming might not be something for you, it might give some other people a lot more to enjoy in the server. Therefore I think it will definitely be worth the time of the developers.

+1

But I would go further, and try to add more seed varieties. For example, now we can just grow 4 types of vegetables, and 1 drug... I would like to add useless plants, like any type of flowers: tulips, roses... would be great for trading! (I know, it's the apocalypse.. but... I would like to see them anyway).

+1

Realistic RP when?

Edited by Jackfish

This will be needed for my Chernarussian farming group.

I say no, I do not support this idea. -1

As much as I prefer realism. Gathering food and water resources in the game as a whole would need to be rebalanced before I would consider this.

•  Anyone can just run around a city looting buildings or shooting a horde of zombies to get plenty of canned-goods/bottled-water and supplies in a short period of time. You'd think 2 years into the lore, food would not be spawning anymore, or would be "ruined" as they would likely begin to be expired.
  • Another reason I disagree is, that we can't build crops anywhere. So if I wanted to create a greenhouse, or terraform ("pile dirt") onto the concrete of an area, I currently cannot. That would cause issues for those creating a settlement on an incline (hill), or a dense area of buildings.
  • There's a lack of resource gathering in regards to the survival mechanics of the game, that were greatly removed since the 0.62 patch. One key importance to me is trapping and fishing; no small-critter hunting either.
  • Energy gained from food items lacks balance; A person can eat a basket of fruit, before they are fully energized, which in reality you'd be puking out applesauce three times before you reached that limit. Seems odd.
Edited by Camo

19 minutes ago, Camo said:

Energy gained from food items lacks balance; A person can eat a basket of fruit, before they are fully energized, which in reality you'd be puking out applesauce three times before you reached that limit. Seems odd.

Unlike you, I do support the idea. Though I don't have a very strong opinion...

BUT I do have VERY strong opinion on this point that you are saying here. Food is not balanced at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so DIFFICULT to play as a VEGETARIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to eat tomato after tomato after tomato... and still die of hunger...

I had to change. Now I eat vegetarian burgers! XD!

1 hour ago, Camo said:

I say no, I do not support this idea. -1

As much as I prefer realism. Gathering food and water resources in the game as a whole would need to be rebalanced before I would consider this.

•  Anyone can just run around a city looting buildings or shooting a horde of zombies to get plenty of canned-goods/bottled-water and supplies in a short period of time. You'd think 2 years into the lore, food would not be spawning anymore, or would be "ruined" as they would likely begin to be expired.
  • Another reason I disagree is, that we can't build crops anywhere. So if I wanted to create a greenhouse, or terraform ("pile dirt") onto the concrete of an area, I currently cannot. That would cause issues for those creating a settlement on an incline (hill), or a dense area of buildings.
  • There's a lack of resource gathering in regards to the survival mechanics of the game, that were greatly removed since the 0.62 patch. One key importance to me is trapping and fishing; no small-critter hunting either.
  • Energy gained from food items lacks balance; A person can eat a basket of fruit, before they are fully energized, which in reality you'd be puking out applesauce three times before you reached that limit. Seems odd.

I do see where you are getting at here. Though I don't see how your points would want you to disagree. The food system indeed needs a lot more balancing, but by adjusting the farm mechanics I think we are making a step in the right direction. Roleplay wise you can just try to stick more with farming and avoid canned food because your character knows it might not be good anymore.

I even think it is important to change this farming mechanic first, because this is something that to the dayz developers is 'finished'. Normal servers probably have other priorities like adding more guns for pvp. Though the food system as in spawning cans of food might be something the dayz developers will still look into. Take the reintroduction of food poisoning for example. This is making it less interesting for dayzrp devs to look into in my opinion.

Coming back to my point. I think changing the farming mechanic first is the best step to take for now.

Edited by baskorthuis

6 hours ago, baskorthuis said:

There have been a lot of talks on the forum about people being bored and not having something to do. While farming might not be something for you, it might give some other people a lot more to enjoy in the server. Therefore I think it will definitely be worth the time of the developers.

- USER HAS BEEN WARNED FOR THIS POST -

1 hour ago, JackZRP said:

- USER HAS BEEN CAUTIONED FOR THIS POST -

1 hour ago, JackZRP said:

Like I said, it might not be something for you. Now jokes aside please and keep it on topic.