Server time (UTC): 2019-10-21, 23:52
Sign in to follow this  
Crimson_Tiger

Make Pistol Calibers Great Again

Pistols/ Sub-machine Guns Damage  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I love a good pistol. Revolvers preferably. But in this game, hand guns are so weak that I found that most players refuse to carry them or only carry them for looks. 

Now, I'm not saying, make pistol calibers better than plate carriers or as good as rifle. I'm witnessing everyone with a rifle and skipping over sub-machine guns because they are weak. But a .45acp has a reputation of being a slow heavy hitter and 9mm for its range and accuracy. But 30 of those rounds should be able to do more than what DayZ believes it can.

EDIT: Here are some questions asked of me to help justify my reasoning:

To what degree? About a 5-10% improvement in damage when it comes to fleshy targets and a 0-2% increase to armored targets. 

For what purpose? Killing players and infected.

Why do you think they are too weak? In video games, hand guns and submachine guns are given a reputation of being weak and are often ignored by players. I want them to be a viable option so people do not feel it is necessary to have an AK or M4 to think they stand a chance against rival players. Players do not really fear pistols/sub-machine guns because they know how weak they are. In reality, everyone fears a gun. Even pistols.

Are you looking to start PVP'ing with a handgun? Potentially. Depends on where the RP leads me. I have been playing on PvP servers and using only a hand gun when issued. They can not not down an unarmored player unless shot 10-14 times center mass.

What do y'all think? Do you like pistols? Do you carry one in game? You like submachine guns? Do you carry one? Vote and pick what you like. Or explain what you believe should be done.

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

Pistols and SMGs work pretty good currently, no need to change them.

I think they're both fine the way they are. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Would never waste a life using pistol round RP bullets but on deathmatch servers, pistol caliber shoots pretty good. 

you can easily gat a roleplayer with 5-6 accurate hits. Feels legit. The only reason why nobody carries pistol calibers is because there are better alternatives.

A sub-cartridge will never match 5.56.

I think thier range/accuracy is perfect. So lets keep the range/accuracy how it is. I think thier damage is broken. I think it needs to be increased slightly. Only slightly. 

1 minute ago, King said:

Would never waste a life using pistol round RP bullets but on deathmatch servers, pistol caliber shoots pretty good. 

you can easily gat a roleplayer with 5-6 accurate hits. Feels legit. The only reason why nobody carries pistol calibers is because there are better alternatives.

A sub-cartridge will never match 5.56.

True but I just want to give people more options who like to travel light. Really light. 

Posted (edited)

Both work as of current so there is no real need for a change.

Edited by Eagle

Pistols / SMGs take a couple more rounds to kill an armored player than an assault rifle.

That's working as intended IMO.

I see where you are coming from, but pistols are meant to be weaker.

The issue is that people tend to find a rifle before they find a pistol, so long as they look in the right place, so pistols naturally become obsolete in combat. Although most people have always used silenced pistols to kill zombies so I wouldn't say they are that useless..

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I see where you are coming from, but pistols are meant to be weaker.

The issue is that people tend to find a rifle before they find a pistol, so long as they look in the right place, so pistols naturally become obsolete in combat. Although most people have always used silenced pistols to kill zombies so I wouldn't say they are that useless..

I agree, they are fantastic for dispatching the infected. I do not believe they are meant to be weaker, but more as a secondary. When I first joined this server, players told me, "Don't waste your time with a pistol." Why not? A pistol is just as threatening as any fire arm. Most PvP and general RP interaction are with in pistol caliber range. If someone takes out a hand gun, then people should see it as much as a threat as anyone other weapon. Especially since pistols can be hidden more easily. Even when on your hip. I'd rather see a small improvement to them. same goes for sub-machine guns. Bring the fear they have in real life, and put that in the game. 

But I sincerely do appreciate your input on this discussion. I enjoy seeing other people's opinions on things. 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Both work as of current so there is no real need for a change.

I'd rather see a small improvement to them. same goes for sub-machine guns. Bring the fear they have in real life, and put that in the game. Not a BIG improvement, just a small. A few percentages better... 5-10% increase in damage. 

It's not the weapon that signifies the damage, but the actual that is fired.

Essentially, you wish to increase the damage of the 9x18, 9x19 and the .45 ammunition types, and I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

Those calibers are working as they should, you can kill another person with them, but faced against armor you will have a hard time, as expected.

I voted yes; to support the idea of increasing damage of handguns versus unarmored targets. Armored targets should remain protected (at center mass), unless you manage to riddle them with 8+ rounds, then they may take damage, as their plate carrier would likely be fucked by then.

I voted no; to SMGs, as SMGs fire-rate is plenty enough to get 30 rounds into someone in under a second. 15-30 rounds is plenty enough to kill any target when hit at center mass.

1.05  update will rebalance vanilla ammo once more and zombie health as well so wait and see how it works out then.

I also voted no to both, I think they fulfill their place in the gun library.

59 minutes ago, Misho said:

1.05  update will rebalance vanilla ammo once more and zombie health as well so wait and see how it works out then.

I also voted no to both, I think they fulfill their place in the gun library.

A rebalance? That sounds exciting. Hopefully they make pistols a little more intimidating. 

But thank you for your input and participation. I really appreciate it

18 hours ago, Ducky said:

It's not the weapon that signifies the damage, but the actual that is fired.

Essentially, you wish to increase the damage of the 9x18, 9x19 and the .45 ammunition types, and I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

Those calibers are working as they should, you can kill another person with them, but faced against armor you will have a hard time, as expected.

I don't wish to increase the damage much if at all against armored targets. Mostly fleshy targets like unarmored players and zombies. Roughly 5-10%

And on a side note, the 9x18 Makarov round is not in the game, it should be. But instead it's the .380acp which is 9x17.

Not trying to be disrespectful but I do appreciate your participation and respect your vote and opinion. 

I think giving all weapons a similar damage output negates the need for hoarding certain weapons as much, it means people can RP realistically having a certain weapon like handguns or smg (Please though don’t tweek Mp7 it’s already the best gun) 

@Roland What you're input on this? According to the poll, the majority of the participating voters wish to buff sub-machine guns and pistols. Not by a lot, only slightly. Think we can have that implemented in the next update?