Server time (UTC): 2019-12-12, 22:41 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
KordrugaRP

Base Building Limitations

Base Building Limitations  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, UndeadRP said:

As much as I love the idea of having places like diesel or ravens nest around. It’s not what has come of base building. Instead we play a Monty Pythonesque game of king in the castle. Finding roleplay has now become run across the map to specific spots where super fortified bases exist and the people inside the bases yell over the walls talking to the people on the outside . This isn’t the fault of any particular group or person but just the way the game works atm. Leans a bit to much towards rust at the moment for me.

dedXuO.gif

I 100% agree with this statement right here. Although my PC is currently busted, I stay up at nights having nightmares about attempting to roleplay with people while starring at their 3 stack high wooden walls like I am playing Rust.

I'd support Settlement-Only base-building for approved groups.  Maybe lower the approved group-size down from 20? 

What about making base building cheaper and faster? Also tearing stuff down could be faster too. Allow getting into a base a little easier. That way raiders can break down walls to the people who like to sit behind the walls and mock the attackers, and people who like to build for an RP reason or build RP hubs can still build what they need. 

It doesn't make sense to remove base building, plus Roland won't remove it. People are capable of building structures. To not have base building doesn't make sense in RP. 

switch base building from rust to using the offline editor to make nice looking stuff and i'd be all for bases, until then i'd rather see them gone so i'm not stuck roleplaying with wooden walls

18 hours ago, Jean said:

Building limiting, only huge groups could make them..etc. Yeah make more limitations to those players that have the less. I saw it with the barrels and crates limitations (no able to put guns on it). I understand the principal reason, to do not allow people to stor guns. But suddenly if you limit the base building people that play in small groups they are losing base, and the possibility to have a store safe. At the end you hit on the people that has the less. Big groups would build a bigger base and they will protect all their tents. No allowing small groups to grow as they do.

18 hours ago, Jean said:

Not everyone is doing that. You have seeing that in our case. For example we move outside and we enjoy also time inside. My group consider staying in the base all the time really boring. But even if you would want that you cannot force people to walk if they don't want to. Maybe if they wouldn't be in a huge group or they would feel less safe, they would move more. Back to the stage of big groups have more changes to get better things and safety etc.

I think we are missing a big point in this entire discussion. Jean mentioned it a bit in these two posts. 
Everyone is looking for different rp here. For example a hostile group would like to find a lot of people on the road and hate the fact that they cannot find anyone.
While other groups like to roleplay around bases and do not relay on constant on the road interaction.

Some people have mentioned that it is all about dynamic travel rp. This is just one way of roleplaying which may not be suited for everyone.
Now speaking for myself. We from Redwood Radio really depend on base roleplay, since we use our radiostation for both internal and external RP, since we go on the road to
find people to take back to the station. We as a small group would really suffer from for example the proposal of only 20+ member groups being able to have bases and I think I am speaking on behalf of a lot of small groups here. 

My point here is that everyone has different needs for roleplay. Some prefer to stick around bases, some like to travel around. I don't think we need to change basebuilding, because of this. By removing the basebuilding aspect of the game, you leave a lot of people cold. Let everyone just do what they love to do.

31 minutes ago, baskorthuis said:

I think we are missing a big point in this entire discussion. Jean mentioned it a bit in these two posts. 
Everyone is looking for different rp here. For example a hostile group would like to find a lot of people on the road and hate the fact that they cannot find anyone.
While other groups like to roleplay around bases and do not relay on constant on the road interaction.

Some people have mentioned that it is all about dynamic travel rp. This is just one way of roleplaying which may not be suited for everyone.
Now speaking for myself. We from Redwood Radio really depend on base roleplay, since we use our radiostation for both internal and external RP, since we go on the road to
find people to take back to the station. We as a small group would really suffer from for example the proposal of only 20+ member groups being able to have bases and I think I am speaking on behalf of a lot of small groups here. 

My point here is that everyone has different needs for roleplay. Some prefer to stick around bases, some like to travel around. I don't think we need to change basebuilding, because of this. By removing the basebuilding aspect of the game, you leave a lot of people cold. Let everyone just do what they love to do.

Exactly, everyone can choose the rp they want. It's like forcing the people to do not do what they want. But it's something organic that happend as a reaction. There was a lot of hostile RP and the people that didn't like it, they made a group and they are numbers now. Later they builded a base and they protect from other rp they don't like. So the thing is, can you force players to play the rp they want. Some hortile groups see now that they can't do what they were doing before. Something will have to change in them to win against these walls but it shouldn't be forced by the limiting. Can you blame the players to do whatever they want? They found the rp they want, and they are just keeping it safe. Hostile Rp was for a long time really annoying sometimes, and this is only the effect of it.

If they want to build a fortress and sit in it all day internal rping with no outside interaction they can do it on a private server. 

37 minutes ago, Jean said:

Exactly, everyone can choose the rp they want. It's like forcing the people to do not do what they want. But it's something organic that happend as a reaction. There was a lot of hostile RP and the people that didn't like it, they made a group and they are numbers now. Later they builded a base and they protect from other rp they don't like. So the thing is, can you force players to play the rp they want. Some hortile groups see now that they can't do what they were doing before. Something will have to change in them to win against these walls but it shouldn't be forced by the limiting. Can you blame the players to do whatever they want? They found the rp they want, and they are just keeping it safe. Hostile Rp was for a long time really annoying sometimes, and this is only the effect of it.

I totally agree. Let people RP how they want. And hostile RP for a while was too common so people walled up. When the hostlities die down, more people will come out of thier walls. Just give it time. 

21 minutes ago, YNW Pep said:

If they want to build a fortress and sit in it all day internal rping with no outside interaction they can do it on a private server. 

And if they want to go and commit hostile RP all the time and focus on PvP then they can go to an official server. 

So yes, I agree.

1 hour ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

And if they want to go and commit hostile RP all the time and focus on PvP then they can go to an official server. 

So yes, I agree

- USER HAS BEEN WARNED FOR THIS POST -

Bases should be for approved groups. I liked the proposal of the bases made in offline mode and then adding them to the server.

I can go multiple days without having found anyone on the road, it's just getting boring.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YNW Pep said:

- USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST -

Anyway, forcing people to only go with your style of RP is wrong and base building gives people options and more RP to try out. 

If you prefer Hostile RP all the time, thats fine. If you like internal RP behind walls, thats fine too. If you just love to build? Thats great! 

Besides Roland said he's not removing base building or limiting it so the issue is resolved. Great discussion y'all. I enjoyed seeing all the different perspectives. 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger
Grammar

I have recently tried the base building mechanic within the game. while it has its positives, during my time owning a compound it really does have its negatives. I would prefer base building to be disabled. I don’t think it adds anything good to RP. Before people was able to build compounds with tents and active members to guard said camps and everything was fine. A lot more groups was dynamic and would constantly roam their respective area’s, now groups stay within their confined walls. Even though I’m guilty of doing the same thing, and it’s hypercritical to say, I hated sitting amongst the very walls I built. 

on another note, I also think removing base building would remove the use or threat of 2.3 ALOT. Groups are constantly attacked because every group has a base or a place they are constantly at. Before groups used to travel between towns and are much harder to come across. Now you know exactly where to go if you are looking for a fight, and let’s face it what group is actually going to comply when they think they are safe within their own walls.

Edited by C-J

I don't think limiting it to "per person" because usually its a few people in the group doing the majority of the building while the others are looking for building supplies. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, King said:

I even personally think we should remove the ability to build bases. It's not immersive at all; do you see me building fucking plank walls in the zombie apocalypse? 

I mean the biggest "zombie" show "The Walking Dead" has groups with names just like this server right? They all have there own area.. Places like Alexandria, The Hill Top, The Saviors (their factory), The Kingdom, etc etc. They all have their own large front gate with people on watch just like in this server. I think its quite immersive. I do believe the larger bases should be limited to groups of __ amount of players, and smaller dynamics/solos can secure a house, shed, something not huge. etc. Hoarding is a bigger issue though in my opinion. Everyone has a damn assault rifle, I think AR spawns should be lowered again so not everyone is some elite soldier. 

4 hours ago, ImNovaaa said:

I don't think limiting it to "per person" because usually its a few people in the group doing the majority of the building while the others are looking for building supplies. 

I mean the biggest "zombie" show "The Walking Dead" has groups with names just like this server right? They all have there own area.. Places like Alexandria, The Hill Top, The Saviors (their factory), The Kingdom, etc etc. They all have their own large front gate with people on watch just like in this server. I think its quite immersive. I do believe the larger bases should be limited to groups of __ amount of players, and smaller dynamics/solos can secure a house, shed, something not huge. etc. Hoarding is a bigger issue though in my opinion. Everyone has a damn assault rifle, I think AR spawns should be lowered again so not everyone is some elite soldier. 

I can fully stand by this. I also watch "The Walking Dead" and all groups build bases. Base building is part of survival. Limiting that is unrealistic. Well spoken! 

One of the problems with letting people roam around in your base is that people tend to be very hostile. for example up at Green Mountain when I was running the charity center I was 90% of the time the only one on maintaining and keeping up the base but I know if I had left the front gate open then people would have been robbing and breaking into the charity stashes.

Using the library as an example, it’s a cool concept but it’s location and layout is extremely questionable. Anything similar to it is as well and should probably be removed. Bases should be incorporated into already existing compounds / towns or in forests to avoid massive empty bases in the middle of fields. 

If it was up to me personally I would say that base building should be disabled entirely and instead have groups make bases in the map editor. 

Edited by Zero

Remove base building and let staff build some bases which people can fight over ig if they want to?

idk if that makes sense... just thinking about alternatives.

7 minutes ago, Ron said:

Remove base building and let staff build some bases which people can fight over ig if they want to?

See, something like this sounds good.

Want a bigger base? Fight for it OR Ally those inside and work out a deal for you to live within the walls. Diplomacy would become a large amount of RP within the server and would make shit less stagnant because everyone will want a piece of the pie.

On the other hand, base building is one of the only features that're somewhat fun when it comes to DayZ however I think it's a good sacrifice to make for RP and server stability.

+1 to Rons suggestion.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:09 AM, Ron said:

+1

But allow people to build bases but only small ones.