Server time (UTC): 2019-12-15, 22:21 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
KordrugaRP

Base Building Limitations

Base Building Limitations  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am writting without read all your comments to do not change my mind or argue with anyone. But for example when we created teh area around of the library "the Wall" was to allow people that played alone to make a house inside the walls to feel secure to have a place to feel comfortable and where they could rp without being initiated.

Since everytihng that is RP now is related to Wolfpack and they are now at south, no so much people comes to the north, so our base is not disturbing anyone because isn't neither in the middle of the city. Literally noone would pass through that area if it wouldn't be there.

Building limiting, only huge groups could make them..etc. Yeah make more limitations to those players that have the less. I saw it with the barrels and crates limitations (no able to put guns on it). I understand the principal reason, to do not allow people to stor guns. But suddenly if you limit the base building people that play in small groups they are losing base, and the possibility to have a store safe. At the end you hit on the people that has the less. Big groups would build a bigger base and they will protect all their tents. No allowing small groups to grow as they do.

I don't explain myself good, but I try to make you see that sometimes things that you think are small changes for good, I wonder for whom. And things that you find useless like library area, if it works or if it would work it would grant another place where to RP.

1. Get rid of basebuilding
2. Keep settlement scheme in place for approved groups
3. Add more hot spots using the tools we have to areas of the map that encourage people to go there (remember the good old prud lake cabin, ravens nest pub and the gas station?)
4. Watch as RP is better and all players (neutral, hostile and hero) have to meet and actually interact and create storylines.
5. Profit (Well that's for Rolle as the RP will be better and more people will see that via streaming and other social media and see a constant full server)

Sorry forgot to add:

People now use the base building system to wall off an area for RP and only allow people they want in to RP with. RP should be dynamic and include all playstyles.

Whats more enjoyable, talking to the people you know day after day or randomly coming across someone that might make you change your playstyle for abit (pretending to be chernarussian to nationalists when you meet them) or meeting that random new guy on a road that just makes the night so fun and gives you a laugh.

Voodoo we have every kind of person coming to the library I can tell. We interact with all of them. Noone will mention you that we were ignoring or avoiding rp even if the RP was going to be hostile. The walls is to allow us to have a safer rp time to time and not being in a risk all the time.

Just now, Jean said:

Voodoo we have every kind of person coming to the library I can tell. We interact with all of them. Noone will mention you that we were ignoring or avoiding rp even if the RP was going to be hostile. The walls is to allow us to have a safer rp time to time and not being in a risk all the time.

The point is meeting people on the road and having dynamic traveling RP

That doesn't happen if people just hide in their bases

Posted (edited)

I am A ok with getting rid of base building. I would like to be able to rp and not get 5 fps while near mega bases.

Edited by Joe
Correction

Just now, Phoenix said:

The point is meeting people on the road and having dynamic traveling RP

That doesn't happen if people just hide in their bases

Not everyone is doing that. You have seeing that in our case. For example we move outside and we enjoy also time inside. My group consider staying in the base all the time really boring. But even if you would want that you cannot force people to walk if they don't want to. Maybe if they wouldn't be in a huge group or they would feel less safe, they would move more. Back to the stage of big groups have more changes to get better things and safety etc.

16 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

1. Get rid of basebuilding
2. Keep settlement scheme in place for approved groups
3. Add more hot spots using the tools we have to areas of the map that encourage people to go there (remember the good old prud lake cabin, ravens nest pub and the gas station?)
4. Watch as RP is better and all players (neutral, hostile and hero) have to meet and actually interact and create storylines.
5. Profit (Well that's for Rolle as the RP will be better and more people will see that via streaming and other social media and see a constant full server)

Sorry forgot to add:

People now use the base building system to wall off an area for RP and only allow people they want in to RP with. RP should be dynamic and include all playstyles.

Whats more enjoyable, talking to the people you know day after day or randomly coming across someone that might make you change your playstyle for abit (pretending to be chernarussian to nationalists when you meet them) or meeting that random new guy on a road that just makes the night so fun and gives you a laugh.

I agree with points 1, 2, and 3. 

4 is more a personal viewpoint.

Some people like internal RP, and primarily having internal RP. Nothing wrong with people that do, same as some people do zero internal RP and rely on outside stimulus for it. We don't dictate one way or another how people should roleplay, so long as it all falls within the scope of the rules. My personal favorite kind of roleplay is the dynamic on-the-road style.  I usually travel from big base to big base, dropping in long enough to get the latest news, then move on to the next one. 

6 minutes ago, Jean said:

The walls is to allow us to have a safer rp time to time and not being in a risk all the time.

But that's the whole point. There shouldn't be safer RP.

Every RP encounter should have abit of risk to it otherwise people start to get used to it then as soon as 1 hostile situation happens people start to moan about it (which leads to a campfire rp vs hostile rp situation all over the forums)

Just now, Voodoo said:

Every RP encounter should have abit of risk to it otherwise people start to get used to it then as soon as 1 hostile situation happens people start to moan about it (which leads to a campfire rp vs hostile rp situation all over the forums)

Then the problem is not the base building. It's the size of the groups. No limitations for them.
Hostile groups cannot handle a huge based civilian group. They suicide against their walls. And players in huge civilian groups don't risk going outside, or if they risk it it's not much because between all of them can get enough suppplies for all of them and defend them. So if you look at ti is a problem of group size.

Just now, Voodoo said:

Exactly. With bases people can break laws and the Tampa Police Department can't do anything about it because they stay in their mega bases. 

Base building restricts the TPD from doing what they do best. Protect and serve the people of florida. 

Posted (edited)

My biggest issue with bases honestly is the performance. I don't have the best PC and as soon as I get near one if those mega bases like for example the library, my game just freezes for like a minute. 

That being said, it's not just that but also all the issues of dynamic rp why I decided to have my group stay nomadic. We might stay at places longer from time to time or even visit allied bases, but usually we are always on the move. Being holed up in a base and not leaving it ever doesnt even appeal to me at all. 

So im definitely for limiting basebuilding. Keep it reasonable. I also very much like the points @Voodoo made. 

Edited by Franny

I like the idea of the prefab bases/structures based on official/approved group's size. May be the best compromise between the two sides of thought. Sucks to take away from peoples creativity but  the mega structures can be lame at times, RP can be mixed, and I think it contributes to hording (a habit RPers should strive to change on their own rather than rely on rules). I've seen/experienced good and bad. One way that I see bases providing a positive RP experience is at night. Walls provide those who want to engage in legitimate fireplace RP a place to do it safely. Without that in place they may not engage in the fireplace RP out of fear of being a big bright target. Smaller unofficial groups could still engage in that kind of RP but at more of a risk from hostile RPers, which is how it should be.

I imagine solos building around a prefabbed group compound to make a settlement of sorts. In general, maybe the larger groups should rely less on looting and focus more on RP. Hire people to do that for them for the sake of RP. Have solos farm and bring them food. Have looters go on loot trips. Maybe those larger groups provide security on these loot trips. And then actually engage in trading for the sake of RP. Maybe the security is apart of the trade. We provide security for x amount of this ammo type if found. One personal experience I had was I brought a bunch of ammunition to a large compound once thinking I should be able to get something (I was looking for a belt and antibiotics) for this and was basically told all they wanted was batteries and/or dex. Not very engaging RP in my opinion. But this is more a symptom of players gaming habits/mentalities. Its hard to break habits that so many survival type games have ingrained into our brains. Loot/horde. Rinse/repeat. Stop looting because your bored. Create story lines. 

I can see how a change in base building improves RP but I also think how we RP can be improved to create a better experience for all. 

Sorry if this came off overly negative. It was and IS NOT my intention. I intended it to be more constructive than it may sound. More encouraging if you will...

2 minutes ago, Jean said:

Then the problem is not the base building. It's the size of the groups. No limitations for them.
Hostile groups cannot handle a huge based civilian group. They suicide against their walls. And players in huge civilian groups don't risk going outside, or if they risk it it's not much because between all of them can get enough suppplies for all of them and defend them. So if you look at ti is a problem of group size.

Well the group size issue is based on dynamics being allowed. Now there is little to no point in having a group unless you plan on initiating (So groups being made as just a hostile thing). Currently no one needs to join a group because they can share defence rights.

That's the main issue, you initiate on a camp then suddenly the whole server comes alight to use their defender rights simply because they RP'ed with the camp 5 minutes before then left to the nearest town.

If you want to keep basebuilding then its a simple rule addition to keep all players in the same league:

•  When a base is occupied by its owners a lock may not be placed on the main entrance. A lock may only be placed when camp owners have left the camp.

A simple rule addition like that would mean that owners would be required to post guards on their gates to RP with people wishing to get in. It gives a small weakness to a camp rather than the camp being an OP structure where the only interaction needed is someone hiding behind a fence. Settlements work because they always had 2 entrances and no lockable gates meaning people had to ID check those they let in or simply just question them.

Currently this is how a settlement feels when you turn up:

Seems like we can only have prefabs and then remove the ability to actually "build" bases and instead just use deployable tents/homes if you're wanting to impact server performance. 

Persistence based items is what drags the server down, and I dislike seeing massive structures with either A; no body home ever (after several visits AKA Abandoned) or B; a small group compared to the base size. Been wanting that group base prefabs to be a thing soon, so official groups can just submit designs and have them loaded upon server start. Check in with X timed wipes each month to see if X group is still official then remove the structure for the next load after the wipe if they're not whilst also adding in the new ones.

Sure it takes some maintenance to maintain a healthy server but it's not impossible. 

Anyways, -1 since we cannot limit base construction based on individual players though if we could it'd be +1 of course. 

remove it entirely

it will only benefit the server from there

Anybody remembers last winter, when nobody wanted to play DayZ because it was a 'broken, underdeveloped game', which was completely unplayable, and which was missing base building? At that moment, base building was seen as an absolutely essential characteristic for a game to be fun.

I am really impressed to see how much the community has changed in just a few months! 🤣

I see the point of those who want to remove base building. I miss more random encounters in the Triangle... But I also like visiting 'castles', there is always people there, like NPCs!

1 minute ago, William89 said:

Anybody remembers last winter, when nobody wanted to play DayZ because it was a 'broken, underdeveloped game', which was completely unplayable, and which was missing base building? At that moment, base building was seen as an absolutely essential characteristic for a game to be fun.

I am really impressed to see how much the community has changed in just a few months! 🤣

I see the point of those who want to remove base building. I miss more random encounters in the Triangle... But I also like visiting 'castles', there is always people there, like NPCs!

nobody wanted to play because of the horrendous white snow, not because of wall campers not being a thing.

sir.

2 hours ago, Misho said:

The idea would be for a huge compound you'd need to start a foundation in a field and then you can chose which steps you wish to build first, the walls around or the internal structures but it would all still count as one persistent structure, meaning less strain on server.

I'm personally very against limiting building access by placing walls or gates in the entrances and such so I'd opt for removing the vanilla walls and replace it all with prefab structures in the future.

I lack the knowledge to know if that will help... But for sure it sounds like A LOT of work. Thank you and thanks to all the Developers for your efforts!

Ah

Base Building is bad for server pop.

People build massive bases and hoard and hide in secure bases and that leads to less pop running around and that makes people leave.

Base bulding makes people leave, either restrict it or remove it 

Instead of completely removing base building, maybe limit or lower the potential for ingame construction, but lower the requirements to request a server-side settlement? A lower amount of members in a group, or something. This would mean that the base constructed wouldn't take up as much time to build in itself, and there isn't a constant rigmarole around finding supplies and etc. 

ohhhhhhhh boy here we go, basebuilding IMO has literally turned these servers from "OH my god, how random was that. Never thought I'd bump into some here" to " OH my god, how boring is this, runnning around seeing no one. Better show up to that spot where everyone goes and then possibly get hit with an harassment ban"

There is so many random and useless (AND IMMERSION BREAKING) bases out there that you'd have to visit Chernobyl to grow more fingers and toes to count them on, and I can't even imagine how much stress the server must be on to load them all in. If I could remove them entirely I would, but then that would be unfair to those, who actually build them and use them which benefits more than just a random small amount of people. On to my suggestion, no one should be allowed to build bases. The only way to get a base is to build one on the offline editor and then showing it to the staff team, the base must follow some basic guidelines one example could be 1. Being Realistic. Bases that glitch through walls and walls/gates put in places that doesn't fit IG and clearly woundn't IRL is a no no.

Another requirement would be a short detailed paragraph on why you're building a base in the first place, whats the IC reasoning behind it? Does it help you and your group (If you're in one) achieve certain goals, if so which goals? Will this be a private base, meaning you don't want anyone knowing where it is or will it be public, meaning you don't mind people knowing where it is? How does your base impact the server Lore and RP wise?

I think you catch my drift here, this would help weed out those who are serious about building useful bases to help achieve goals and/or provide some central hub for RP, and those wanting to build stupid unrealistic bases to store mountains of gear behind. With something like this implemented, staff could determine the seriousness of those wanting the base and the impactfulness of the base, and check out how realistic it is going to be.

I think Craig is onto something. Based on some of the comments I've read, if building is removed people will leave and if it stays the way it is people will leave. There needs to be some middle ground that can be come up with.

Craig, how would this limit gear hording? They could get approved by going through the motions and still horde gear... Could storage space in a prefabricated base be limited somehow?

Base building is pretty ridiculous imo. No one moves, at all. I honestly off the top of my head can count the groups that roam vs have a base they rarely leave on one hand. It just doesn’t feel like dayz when everyone is stationary. 

Having had bases and being nomad I can see both arguments l.

Once someone invests time and resources into building they become attached this reduces or eliminates people wanting to go out and seek role play because they want to guard all of their weapons, tools and yada yada cause they don’t want to loose it.

Being nomadic and having stashes we were able to participate at times in hostile/campfire RP and always ran into people with little care for equipment if it didn’t go our way or we got robbed.

Truth of the matter is both have benefits but they can seriously reduce the amount of RP you could make base materials even harder to access or make it so a specific item is needed to raid like on some servers they have the c4 which is hard to access and expensive to build that destroys walls.

If people feel their bases are mostly safe it would encourage more of them to roam instead of guard it like a chained dog and cry when they get raided.

You truly can’t police base sizes unless you remove it or a mod is created like the exile arma for base building which I don’t think will be around anytime soon tbh these discussion about base building are pointless because it’s either it goes or it doesn’t and I just can’t see that happening .

I don’t really care what people want as it’s their choice 

Posted (edited)

I accidentally in my sleepy state last night clicked ‘no’ when I meant to click ‘yes’.

So, my vote is for ‘yes’. However, seeing as we can’t limit items built by players etc., I think there needs to be a better system implemented.

I think the whole pre-approved base idea that was posted here: Group Settlements

Could work out for the benefit of the server and appease both sides of the argument here. I’ve read through each post of this thread and can see where both sides stand as my group has been on both sides. However, if the pre-approved base idea can’t work I feel a few things are necessary for base building:

-   You leave a base behind (no longer using it/group inactive/you are inactive) tell staff so that they can remove it. [ I have kept on top of this since a while ago when Roland had asked groups to let him know when bases could be deleted, its pretty easy to shoot staff a message to get it cleared]

-  Monthly or Bi-Monthly wipes. This will force people to potentially move locations, create new hotspots to keep things fresh in a sense.

I also feel like its also on the base builders and groups who do base build to make sure they are base building for a reason. Currently Cherno, as everyone knows, is Wolfpack/Legion. This compound also has several groups and individuals living inside the walls as well, as it was intended. It was meant to be a hub where we had several people come down and trade, make businesses etc. However, the reason we even had to make walls is to give us some form of defense from the inevitable attacks.

As for gear hoarding – I believe that is also on the groups to realize you need to only keep things necessary. Groups paying other groups for protection will likely have extra gear laying around in their bases, but I feel like this shouldn’t be seen as gear hoarding. We have had to collect items and hold them for payments for our own roleplay. I have also personally made sure that anything that sits in a tent for longer than 4 days or is not useful to us (besides some ammo, weapons, food, medical supplies) is tossed onto the ground to respawn and go back into the loot table. So in regards to the whole gear hoarding topic brought up with bases, I feel like group leaders should be more aware and make sure this isn’t occurring [however we cant always prevent that].

Edited by PhoenyxxRP