Server time (UTC): 2019-12-11, 04:43 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
KordrugaRP

Base Building Limitations

Base Building Limitations  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rover said:

Storage has been limited in a few ways: There are only so many tents/barrels/sea chests, and crates can no longer store guns or be buried, so people aren't making hundreds of them anymore. Amazing how that works.

Performance being the issue is affected by all persistent objects; this includes base fabricated walls/towers/etc. 

The big complaint I've seen about bases being 'abused' comes from hostile-themed players that are struggling to break into them. And frankly this to me seems how it should be; Bases should be hard to break into that is kind of the point of having them. But if grenades haven't balanced this out, and currently there is no viable way to online-raid (so to speak) a base, it should be looked into. I'm all for breaching charges that blow fences/walls off, and making them extremely rare. 

Nice to see you slap the problem on “hostile” people and groups there buddy very nice of you 

Edited by ne_om

Posted (edited)

Group size should dictate how big a base somebody can build. There's 1000s of entities on the server, including boxes, walls, fences let alone all the individual items inside each box. It all affects server performance and tbh 1 dude building a huge fuck-off stash and stashing a ton in it makes looting for the average player harder and limits server stability. Multiply this by several people and you got issues, especially on a non-kos / rp server with rules protecting their stash. 

Voted yes

7 minutes ago, Rover said:

-snip-

The big complaint I've seen about bases being 'abused' comes from hostile-themed players that are struggling to break into them. And frankly this to me seems how it should be; Bases should be hard to break into that is kind of the point of having them. But if grenades haven't balanced this out, and currently there is no viable way to online-raid (so to speak) a base, it should be looked into. I'm all for breaching charges that blow fences/walls off, and making them extremely rare. 

Also... this is a load of bollocks. I have virtually no difficulty cracking into people's bases when i want to. There's several ways we can do it. The problem is that whenever we look inside there's 1000s of entities, very few of which we're actually allowed to remove because of the griefing rule in place. If people engage in 0 hostility with us, we have no reason to remove any of the 1000s of hoarded entities in there. The amount of times a simple 3x3 compound has has numerous boxes with like 500-1000 of each ammo type, several of each tool, numerous weapons. That's your issue. It's not "lemme store one for when i need it," it's "lemme store everything possible here."

Edited by APositivePara

1 hour ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Bases give people a sense of security both in game and real life. Since we can not lock doors or use gun safes and since tents are not used as RP items but storage units. With a massive strong group running around and raiding people all the time, walls and bases add an obstacle for them to confront with first. It enforces RP because straight up raiding with out communication is no fun. Its sorta like how a padlock works on on a safe. It's not there to stop a criminal but remind a good person to not take that negative step. To me, walls and base remind me to focus on RP and not raiding. Plus it adds to player creativity. I enjoy building because I find it fun. Especially towers. 

Nobody should be hording gear tho??

1 minute ago, ne_om said:

Nice to see you slap the problem on “hostile” people and groups there buddy very nice of you 

I'm not sure what you mean by problem. I have yet to see a complaint raised by a solo player, a passive group, or a neutral group that bases are too strong. I've only seen the problems and concerns raised by those in hostile groups that are having issues to break into it.

There is no negative connotation to my use of the word hostile group. It wasn't a veiled shot. Hostile groups are a thing, that is literally how we tend to classify groups. 'Hostile, neutral, and hero'. 

11 minutes ago, Rover said:

The big complaint I've seen about bases being 'abused' comes from hostile-themed players that are struggling to break into them.

I have to disagree, Rover.
The main complaint is RPers building ridiculous structures to hoard all the gear they'll never use. If hostile RPers want to get into a base, they will. That isnt the issue. The issue is strain on the server because people want to protect their 400 RP SVDs

1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Nobody should be hording gear tho??

I don't understand. Will you please elaborate? I never said anything about "gear" so will you please elaborate or rephrase the question? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rover said:

I'm not sure what you mean by problem. I have yet to see a complaint raised by a solo player, a passive group, or a neutral group that bases are too strong. I've only seen the problems and concerns raised by those in hostile groups that are having issues to break into it.

There is no negative connotation to my use of the word hostile group. It wasn't a veiled shot. Hostile groups are a thing, that is literally how we tend to classify groups. 'Hostile, neutral, and hero'. 

Coz your solo and “passive” people are the ones hiding behind 4 walls thick and refusing to RP with anyone coz they don’t want to lose there grand dads M249 saw. And there to afraid to go out into the big bad world, it’s dayz RP not gear up and hide away. These camps have destroy all aspects of RP, because people sit behind and chat pure shit behind there walls coz there is no way is “HOSTILE” people can get to them. 

Edited by ne_om

The big complaint I've seen about bases being 'abused' comes from hostile-themed players that are struggling to break into them. 

Uhm.. What?

Okay first of all, imagine actually being a hostile player and not being able to follow your group goals or RP style because most other survivor / campfire RP'ers are hiding away behind big structures with all their super duper gear hording. Meaning hostile RP'ers are getting bored because they can't find anyone to do hostile RP with. They leave the server and stop playing and all that's left is people hiding inside their bases. Newcomers can't find anyone to RP with anymore and also stop playing.

This whole basebuilding thing is ruining the server and your mindset needs to change Rover.

8 minutes ago, APositivePara said:

Also... this is a load of bollocks. I have virtually no difficulty cracking into people's bases when i want to. There's several ways we can do it. The problem is that whenever we look inside there's 1000s of entities, very few of which we're actually allowed to remove because of the griefing rule in place. If people engage in 0 hostility with us, we have no reason to remove any of the 1000s of hoarded entities in there. The amount of times a simple 3x3 compound has has numerous boxes with like 500-1000 of each ammo type, several of each tool, numerous weapons. That's your issue. It's not "lemme store one for when i need it," it's "lemme store everything possible here."

When a base has no one in it, yes. Its very easy to break into. Most of the times the conversation is brought up around bases and needing the rules changed, its included 'base defenders hiding behind their walls talking shit.' My understanding is it is a lot harder to break into a base when there are active defenders inside of it to shoot people trying to cut through locks/walls or boost over. 

I think people making random loot-vault small bases isn't what is spawning the conversation of needing the rules changed, its the group-bases that are being well defended. Or am I completely off base here? 

Coz your solo and “passive” people are the ones hiding behind 4 walls thick and refusing to RP with anyone coz they don’t want to lose there grand dads M249 saw. And there to afraid to go out into the big bad world, it’s dayz RP not gear up and hide away 

2 minutes ago, Fae said:

I have to disagree, Rover.
The main complaint is RPers building ridiculous structures to hoard all the gear they'll never use. If hostile RPers want to get into a base, they will. That isnt the issue. The issue is strain on the server because people want to protect their 400 RP SVDs

@Fae See the quote above yours from @ne_om. If you skim through the thread, there is a number of other people making similar comments, and in the last few times this has come up, one of the most common refrains voiced is defenders hiding behind their walls. 

Uhm.. What?

Okay first of all, imagine actually being a hostile player and not being able to follow your group goals or RP style because most other survivor / campfire RP'ers are hiding away behind big structures with all their super duper gear hording. Meaning hostile RP'ers are getting bored because they can't find anyone to do hostile RP with. They leave the server and stop playing and all that's left is people hiding inside their bases. Newcomers can't find anyone to RP with anymore and also stop playing.

This whole basebuilding thing is ruining the server and your mindset needs to change Rover.

Dropping straight FACTS 🔥

Uhm.. What?

Boy it looks like I really touched a hot-button there with that comment. Not just you, but the others that have commented on it.

I am not backpedaling off my statement, but please understand I'm also not trying to shit on hostile-RP'rs. Its a part of the server. But just like everyone else needs to adapt, they need to adapt on how to get into those structures, or how to get around the problems they cause. If you read this thread, you'll see newcomers pointing out these massive super-bases act as hubs.

Imagine playing a neutral group that built up a big base to protect themselves, and being able to protect themselves. What a novel thought, right?

Respectfully disagreeing with you completely on this one. My mindset is fine, I'm just in the other camp from your own.

3 minutes ago, Rover said:

see the quote above yours from @ne_om. If you skim through the thread, there is a number of other people making similar comments, and in the last few times this has come up, one of the most common refrains voiced is defenders hiding behind their walls. 

So now you are just labelling people as hostile and non hostile rp'ers. Who says they don't enjoy other styles of rp too? You're not really doing yourself a favour here, Rover 😄 I am confused as to what you're trying to achieve here...

Regardless, Basebuilding has been ruining the economy of the server. Like @Fae said, certain people are just hoarding their RP SVD's without having to go out and actually RP with someone.

Just now, Phoenix said:

So now you are just labelling people as hostile and non hostile rp'ers. Who says they don't enjoy other styles of rp too? You're not really doing yourself a favour here, Rover 😄 I am confused as yo what you're trying to achieve here...

Don't strawman my statements. 

If someone is voicing a complaint about being unable to force their way into another groups base I am going to label them a hostile RP'r as that is hostile RP, yes. This in no way means they don't do other forms of roleplay. I also am not understanding where the sudden kickback against being called a hostile roleplayer is coming from. Its a viable form of roleplay. I am not using the word negatively. Its not like I'm calling them PVP'rs. Hostile roleplay is a key ingredient to most stories. 

Posted (edited)

Don't strawman my statements. 

If someone is voicing a complaint about being unable to force their way into another groups base I am going to label them a hostile RP'r as that is hostile RP, yes. This in no way means they don't do other forms of roleplay. I also am not understanding where the sudden kickback against being called a hostile roleplayer is coming from. Its a viable form of roleplay. I am not using the word negatively. Its not like I'm calling them PVP'rs. Hostile roleplay is a key ingredient to most stories. 

You need to stop, you’re digging a hole 

Edited by ne_om
Due to elmo spelling checking me

Not to mention people dont tell us when bases are abandoned so we can't go in and remove them so they just sit there and add extra strain on the server until they decompose themselves.

Honestly get rid of basebuilding, make people interact with each other that doesn't involve fucking around in a huge walled off complex and basically memeing.

Make people go out and actually progress their stories, fuck the walls. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

-snip-

Regardless, Basebuilding has been ruining the economy of the server. Like @Fae said, certain people are just hoarding their RP SVD's without having to go out and actually RP with someone.

DayZPVE is what base building makes this game. I'm okay with base building when controlled, but anybody who says "we've already limited storage capabilities" is off their rocker. You've limited the number of guns that can be stored, which is great, but like i previously said, there's 1000s of entities that are being stored and are not being despawned naturally. Server economy is still bollocks, and I'm back to the issue we had in 0.62 where i introduced the idea of monthly persistence wipes so help server economy. The only way I can get a gun is grabbing it off a fool who has too many already (assuming i don't have a stash myself). Not that this particularly bothers me right now because my character is inherently hostile.

3 minutes ago, ne_om said:

You need to stop, your digging a hole 

Also chill, the dude has actually clarified he's not giving anybody an unjustified label. We are hostile RP'ers. Raiding falls under hostileRP. The dude's chill, he's saying what he feels is the issue, barking at him ain't helping. 

Edited by APositivePara

@APositivePara I can definitely get behind monthly persistence wipes if not bi weekly.

Posted (edited)

@PhoenixWhat about a server wipe every (ex:3-6 months)? I'm in for that. Maybe scheduled wipes? I can stand by that. 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

3 minutes ago, Fae said:

Not to mention people dont tell us when bases are abandoned so we can't go in and remove them so they just sit there and add extra strain on the server until they decompose themselves.

Honestly get rid of basebuilding, make people interact with each other that doesn't involve fucking around in a huge walled off complex and basically memeing.

Make people go out and actually progress their stories, fuck the walls. 

As sad as it is and as true as this whole statement is, @Roland is not going to remove basebuilding because half of the new playerbase is only here for basebuilding. So this would mean less new players joining the community. 

It shouldn't matter, because what really matters is keeping the veterans happy and trying to get new players in the meantime, yes, but it shouldn't be the main focus. I just hope someone listens to us voicing our concerns.

Just now, Crimson_Tiger said:

What about a server wipe every 3-6 months? I'm in for that. Maybe scheduled wipes? I can stand by that. 

3 to 6 months?
*Spits out drink*
I'd say once  to twice a month honestly

-snip-

3 to 6 months?
*Spits out drink*

Base building has gotta be worth it tbh @Phoenix, this ain't like rust wherein resources often spawn outside your front door. Base building in DayZ can sometimes take a week depending. Having to do that repeatedly a month will kill base building, even for people actually wanting to maintain a settlement like Wolfpack / Legion. His lower end of the timescale would personally be my upper limit, but ye monthly to bimonthly wipes seem appropriate to me again.

3 to 6 months?
*Spits out drink*

It was an example. Every month will not work. It will push away new players. Especially with how base building is now. If it was cheaper and faster, then yes, I would agree with Monthly. But as it stands, no. 

1 hour ago, Rover said:

Ignoring anything to do with the RP value of bases (Of which I think there is plenty), I feel base building should be limited just to improve server stability. My stance would be more limiting all bases to only approved bases made through the map editor for approved groups. This would serve as an incentive for people to actually form approved groups, and keep them 'large' to get more base elements. Also this way, Staff have direct control over the shape/size/location of bases and can keep them from being glitched/too overpowered.

Agreed. Set a minimum group size too for receiving such benefits. 15+ sounds nice, maybe 20+.

7 minutes ago, ne_om said:

You need to stop, your digging a hole 

You're*

1 minute ago, APositiveElmo said:

Agreed. Set a minimum group size too for receiving such benefits. 15+ sounds nice, maybe 20+.

You're*

Thanks for the spell check lad will edit my post just to help you out 

Thanks for the spell check lad will edit my post just to help you out 

You're welcome.

At the moment I think we only wipe when DayZ updates force us to wipe, we change something in our mod that needs a wipe, or the server stability gets to the point you have to wipe to keep it alive.

I'd be alright with persistence wipes on a regular basis so long as they are scheduled so no one is caught off guard or surprised. But as others have brought up currently basebuilding is a draw to the server, so it may be something we don't want to curb too sharply, to take away the point/fun of it for those engaging in it. 

11 minutes ago, APositivePara said:

Also chill, the dude has actually clarified he's not giving anybody an unjustified label. We are hostile RP'ers. Raiding falls under hostileRP. The dude's chill, he's saying what he feels is the issue, barking at him ain't helping. 

Thank you.