Server time (UTC): 2019-12-16, 00:56 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
KordrugaRP

Base Building Limitations

Base Building Limitations  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was more roleplay when base building wasn't a thing.

remove it.

Removing base building will hurt the server and especially new players.

I still favor base building for only recognized groups. 

41 minutes ago, WongRP said:

There was more roleplay when base building wasn't a thing.

remove it.

Truer words have never been spoken 

2 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Removing base building will hurt the server and especially new players.

I still favor base building for only recognized groups. 

How will it hurt the server? We had more RP and more encounters before base building was implemented. Base building technically is still new and we did fine without it

Base building goes away then no more having to initiate to get RP or no more people talking shit behind the walls and then initiating on you... I think we should get rid of it for awhile and see how things go.

1 minute ago, WongRP said:

How will it hurt the server? We had more RP and more encounters before base building was implemented. Base building technically is still new and we did fine without it

Bases give people a sense of security both in game and real life. Since we can not lock doors or use gun safes and since tents are not used as RP items but storage units. With a massive strong group running around and raiding people all the time, walls and bases add an obstacle for them to confront with first. It enforces RP because straight up raiding with out communication is no fun. Its sorta like how a padlock works on on a safe. It's not there to stop a criminal but remind a good person to not take that negative step. To me, walls and base remind me to focus on RP and not raiding. Plus it adds to player creativity. I enjoy building because I find it fun. Especially towers. 

I find base building to be the equaliser, where there are groups who want to be safer and protected from hostilities. It helps build hubs for people to head to, I have had my beast rp in peoples camps. 

Bases are nothing new, we used to build tent cities which people complained about before. The main difference now is people can parkour into places. Most bases can be broken into and out right removing them just means people making camps on the far edges of the maps again, The only benefit i can see is being able to run along the edge of the map for free loot. 

Some bases may be a bit big but they are not easy to make so folk have put a lot of time and effort to get a small advantage that can be beaten with common sense and some forward planning. 

as a wise man once said "Give me 10 good men and I'll impregnate the bitch"

Just now, Crimson_Tiger said:

Its sorta like how a padlock works on on a safe. It's not there to stop a criminal but remind a good person to not take that negative step.

I'm pretty sure keeping people out is exactly how a padlock is supposed to work.

Get rid of base building, its hindering all RP. Everyone hides behind walls and are too paranoid to let any newcomers in at all. Or, if its a big place like Cherno or Polana there's no actual RP its just a large collection of people fucking around because they have nothing to do.

Remove codelocks and barbwire from the loot table and all problems are fixed.

2 minutes ago, Fae said:

I'm pretty sure keeping people out is exactly how a padlock is supposed to work.

Get rid of base building, its hindering all RP. Everyone hides behind walls and are too paranoid to let any newcomers in at all. Or, if its a big place like Cherno or Polana there's no actual RP its just a large collection of people fucking around because they have nothing to do.

Pretty sure cherno is a trade hub they let folk in and out all the time, just not the bad people 😛

1 minute ago, AndreyQ said:

Remove codelocks and barbwire from the loot table and all problems are fixed.

barbwire yes, but codelocks i dont know. Mabye limit the ammount of code locks to a base?

7 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Bases give people a sense of security both in game and real life. Since we can not lock doors or use gun safes and since tents

So... gear is why you don’t want bases removed. Fair enough, thanks for your reasoning behind your answer.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WongRP said:

So... gear is why you don’t want bases removed. Fair enough, thanks for your reasoning behind your answer.

I didn't say gear. If that's how you wish to interpret it then that's you. But I gave my answers. There is more than one.

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

5 minutes ago, WongRP said:

doesnt the legion have two car tents filled with barrels and crates in cherno being 3 code locked gates each?

Just now, nisbo said:

doesnt the legion have two car tents filled with barrels and crates in cherno being 3 code locked gates each?

They have WAY more than that. They have most of the tents, most of the barrels and sea chests and the LARGEST base. 

1 minute ago, nisbo said:

And yet we want the change interesting logic your trying to push forth.

Guys.

Try to stop straw-manning each others arguments. It doesn't improve your position or help sway any opinions. 

I don't think limiting the amount of buildable items per person is going to resolve the issue, unless the limit is made so small that solo-players will not be able to build anything. With the sheer size of some of the larger groups, this won't really handicap them if they organize, and it seems like most complaints are around large groups with large bases.

Ignoring anything to do with the RP value of bases (Of which I think there is plenty), I feel base building should be limited just to improve server stability. My stance would be more limiting all bases to only approved bases made through the map editor for approved groups. This would serve as an incentive for people to actually form approved groups, and keep them 'large' to get more base elements. Also this way, Staff have direct control over the shape/size/location of bases and can keep them from being glitched/too overpowered.

My two cents.

8 hours ago, William89 said:

@Kordruga Have considered that perhaps those crashes happen because the mod that we are using is too big, and it adds way too many items to the game? Perhaps that could be the reason for those crashes, rather than too many bases.

Perhaps we should rather remove some items to increase the performance? Like less guns and less clothes?

Structures and other persistent items such as crates have proven to be the biggest performance killers along with players who have high ping. A few extra items don't do much at all.

1 minute ago, Rover said:

Ignoring anything to do with the RP value of bases (Of which I think there is plenty), I feel base building should be limited just to improve server stability. My stance would be more limiting all bases to only approved bases made through the map editor for approved groups. This would serve as an incentive for people to actually form approved groups, and keep them 'large' to get more base elements. Also this way, Staff have direct control over the shape/size/location of bases and can keep them from being glitched/too overpowered.

could also get the map up, showing the base locations, like we had ages ago for settlements

2 minutes ago, Rover said:

Guys.

Try to stop straw-manning each others arguments. It doesn't improve your position or help sway any opinions. 

I don't think limiting the amount of buildable items per person is going to resolve the issue, unless the limit is made so small that solo-players will not be able to build anything. With the sheer size of some of the larger groups, this won't really handicap them if they organize, and it seems like most complaints are around large groups with large bases.

My two cents.

You are absolutely correct Rover! Thank you for getting us back on track. 

Again, removing base building and limiting base building will hurt the community more than help. Especially for non groups of people and new players. It also gives people a chance to be creative. There is honestly nothing cooler that seeing a beautiful base in an open field. With this, I retract my earlier statement that I made. I feel ANYONE should have the right to build anything they want. Not limit it to approved groups. 

17 minutes ago, nisbo said:

That we do and people can walk in and out of that base any time they want, they could also get into those tents easily. We do not care about the gear you should be able to tell since most of Legion agree with removing base building. It's more like 3 gates locked then 2 gates but yeah.

18 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

They have WAY more than that. They have most of the tents, most of the barrels and sea chests and the LARGEST base. 

Largest base with the least built up wallks in a BIGGER area. We have 2 car tents 5 sea chests 5 barrels all of which stored into TWO tents. Yet, again, we are the ones asking for change. The other tents are for the people that come in and want stuff free to leave and take lmao. good try tho.

#RemoveBaseBuildingSoPeopleCan'tHideFromTheirShitTalk

I've been working on prefab building for a while and I'm hoping I can have it done soon. Maybe with that, we could limit certain aspects of base building.

For anyone interested, prefabs work like the watchtowers currently do where you build a structure in steps. I imagine making small huts for solo players cheaper to build while larger houses or structures for groups would take some serious effort to complete. These structures need a clean slate of land to build a foundation on, much like tents work when pitching them.

The idea would be for a huge compound you'd need to start a foundation in a field and then you can chose which steps you wish to build first, the walls around or the internal structures but it would all still count as one persistent structure, meaning less strain on server.

I'm personally very against limiting building access by placing walls or gates in the entrances and such so I'd opt for removing the vanilla walls and replace it all with prefab structures in the future.

There's still a bit of time to it's completion and time will tell if it's a good idea at all but in my mind it should help with performance issues as well as offer both solo and group players a choice of what to build. The only negative thing is that you can't customize your base layout as you could with individual walls.

Sooo, if the argument here is performance then why don't we list the maximum mount of allowed storage per group? Scale it off group size somehow, I know most other servers do this. Admins here have the ability to check group size through the interface, so while it would certainly place additional strain on the admin team I hope it wouldn't be too bad.

That would also improve the loot that can be found for everyone else on the server.

In terms of base building, I say be stricter on making sure people only use the amount of structures they really need, I dont agree at all that you get less roleplay from people hiding in bases as a new player, quite the opposite, the neutral/friendly and trading outposts on the server allowed me to get RP whenever I wanted it when I was a new player because I knew where to walk to interact with people - and even hostile RP tended to focus on these settlements/the surroundings.

If the argument here was for "de-localizing" RP more, then I'd probably agree - but from my personal experience as a new player 2 weeks ago I don't necessarily agree with the "it removes RP especially from new people".

7 minutes ago, Arrow said:

Sooo, if the argument here is performance then why don't we list the maximum mount of allowed storage per group? Scale it off group size somehow, I know most other servers do this. Admins here have the ability to check group size through the interface, so while it would certainly place additional strain on the admin team I hope it wouldn't be too bad.

That would also improve the loot that can be found for everyone else on the server.

Storage has been limited in a few ways: There are only so many tents/barrels/sea chests, and crates can no longer store guns or be buried, so people aren't making hundreds of them anymore. Amazing how that works.

Performance being the issue is affected by all persistent objects; this includes base fabricated walls/towers/etc. 

The big complaint I've seen about bases being 'abused' comes from hostile-themed players that are struggling to break into them. And frankly this to me seems how it should be; Bases should be hard to break into that is kind of the point of having them. But if grenades haven't balanced this out, and currently there is no viable way to online-raid (so to speak) a base, it should be looked into. I'm all for breaching charges that blow fences/walls off, and making them extremely rare. 

Get rid of basebuilding entirely. It ruins the roleplay aspect because all these newcomers are hiding away in their bases storying high grade gear and not coming out to rp. amongst other reasons, that's the biggest one for me.