Server time (UTC): 2019-11-18, 20:06
Sign in to follow this  
KordrugaRP

Base Building Limitations

Base Building Limitations  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

- USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST -

Agree with this 100%

If not possible, I'd honestly be down to have the materials required to build raised again. Which I know some may not agree with, but I feel that if materials required is raised, than the amount of bases built will minimize OR at least take longer to achieve. Staff have said themselves that they want bases to be an END game goal for groups, and right now it still doesn't feel end game. Just feels like a couple days more work.

I honestly would get rid of base building all together, because I hate it.

But yes, making it harder is a better idea. Its far too easy to slap walls together and people shouldn't be able to wall off entire cities on their own.

I disagree... what would be the point, to increase the performance of the server? At the moment the server is not laggy at all, everything is fine as it is...

I mean, the staff is already deleting abandoned bases, so that they don't accumulate, and I think that they already deleted the base of the Runners, at some point, because it was affecting the server...

So actions are already happening, and all works fine...

4 minutes ago, William89 said:

I disagree... what would be the point, to increase the performance of the server? At the moment the server is not laggy at all, everything is fine as it is...

I mean, the staff is already deleting abandoned bases, so that they don't accumulate, and I think that they already deleted the base of the Runners, at some point, because it was affecting the server...

So actions are already happening, and all works fine...

The server crashes multiple times during an hour play time. That is not a server working fine

Posted (edited)

All the fucks I could possibly give, yes. 

I even personally think we should remove the ability to build bases. It's not immersive at all; do you see me building fucking plank walls in the zombie apocalypse? 

I think base building has lead to the turtle tactic, where people won't leave their bases, their things for even days at a time. It has contributed to mass hording, GearRP and has lead to many many new players get the wrong idea of what this community is all about. So yes, I like the idea of the basebuilding limit, but I preferably feel as though we should delve deeper into restricting bases. 

Just a thought, what if a number of players leave that group @Kordruga? Does the group need to remove those walls? 

Edited by King

I'd support this.  How would this limit be enforced?

I voted no, leave base-building as it is... 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Kordruga said:

The server crashes multiple times during an hour play time. That is not a server working fine

I did not notice, but, if that is true:

1st I would ask the staff if those crashes that you have seen are due to an excess of bases.

2nd If yes, then I think that base building should be limited in a 'per group' manner, not 'per individual'.

7 minutes ago, EmonOkari said:

I'd support this.  How would this limit be enforced?

In no way, I don't think that it would be possible. That's one of the problems here! XD!

Edited by William89

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, William89 said:

---If yes, then I think that base building should be limited in a 'per group' manner, not 'per individual'.---

Dear god, I hope not. I don't want to be required to be in a group in order to build a fortified structure. If players want limitations, how about disallow bases that serve no other purpose but to block off a one-way entrance to a house (or med-clinics/police-stations,etc)., simply to just store shit away inside of it. Instead, force said players to fend for themselves in the woods, making walless camps; just like the good ol' days where your goal is to seek the best hiding spot to place your tent or barrel to store your stuff away. Keep bases for groups or individuals with roleplay purposes. For example, a trade shop. *cough cough spoiler* 😉 

Spoiler

TrentsTradingEmporium.jpg.54912e9bbc4ee63574a0356c1353d29f.jpg

20190209214701_1.png.e3d767137f3658ef40d997cd72ceaa70.png

Edited by Camo

@Kordruga Have considered that perhaps those crashes happen because the mod that we are using is too big, and it adds way too many items to the game? Perhaps that could be the reason for those crashes, rather than too many bases.

Perhaps we should rather remove some items to increase the performance? Like less guns and less clothes?

As much as I love the idea of having places like diesel or ravens nest around. It’s not what has come of base building. Instead we play a Monty Pythonesque game of king in the castle. Finding roleplay has now become run across the map to specific spots where super fortified bases exist and the people inside the bases yell over the walls talking to the people on the outside . This isn’t the fault of any particular group or person but just the way the game works atm. Leans a bit to much towards rust at the moment for me.

dedXuO.gif

Posted (edited)

I dont like bases at all, but i understand why people want them.

I think make bases based off of group size and only if the group is official. Its not realistic to just see new bases pop up every couple of days with like 3 stories of walls and massive gates all over the place in a zombie apocalypse, im sure theres a few structural and civil engineers running around chernarus helping people make they bases.

@Roland Also, why not try out for a period of time Deer Isle with base building disabled, and see how people feel about it, force people to go out and explore and interact with one another rather than rush building a base and grab all the loot and be the greatest rp'r with half the weapons stashed away in they tents. Bring back the old dayzrp dynamic but with deer isle.

1 hour ago, William89 said:

@Kordruga Have considered that perhaps those crashes happen because the mod that we are using is too big, and it adds way too many items to the game? Perhaps that could be the reason for those crashes, rather than too many bases.

Perhaps we should rather remove some items to increase the performance? Like less guns and less clothes?

Im not sure if you sarcastic or not, less guns and clothes? take out the 4 custom guns in the game and get left with less than the base game offered back in .59?

Edited by Apollo

We should just ban the people that hide in their bases all day with avoiding RP.

I mean I like the idea @Kordruga, however is it possible to limit it to three units/structures? What about when you die? Can you just respawn and build 3 new walls?

Fences don't have an "owner" in the game, so it's not possible to limit base building to X per player. And there's absolutely no way we're going to enforce that manually by tracking building logs.

And no, we can't just disable base building on one map, both maps use the same DayZRP mod.

Posted (edited)

I dont see this as possible to enforce. I would favor a Rule that only official groups or people with an RP purpose could build a base but as it stands, I'd say leave it as it is.

I would rather base building require less parts and less time to build but longer to tear down. 

If the raiding wasn't so constant and bad then people would build smaller bases. Plus tents are all used by groups for storage instead of RP. I've done what I can to limit what my group builds but our base is minuscule compared to other groups. 

There is a massive base in Cherno taking the entire Square and not even half the space is being used. I get some lag there. It used to be open to the public but not anymore. 

If we want to reduce server lag then that massive base in Cherno can be shrunk down a little bit. That could help reduce lag in that region. 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

Well it’s killing rp one way or the other . I’ve ran around the map a few times and pretty much the only time I find people on a full pop server is in or right next to these super bases. It blows. Can nothing be done?

Could be enforced similar to other RP servers on other games, not through code but through logs. 

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

And there's absolutely no way we're going to enforce that manually by tracking building logs.

If it were to be reported, surely that isn't a huge task for GMs? 

3 hours ago, King said:

Just a thought, what if a number of players leave that group @Kordruga? Does the group need to remove those walls? 

Could be a thing. Forcing groups to constantly remodel if their numbers fall or rise is a cool idea. Meaning groups can't just build a fortress and sit inside it.

Ultimately, this discussion is aimed at the issue of huge camps for a small number of people and camps made purely for holding gear. Most bases are fine

Posted (edited)

100% my bruddha base building is out of control ATM

People are building mega structures that look like something out of age of empires atm. 

And act all high and mighty behind there 4 layered walls but when there out in the open it’s a different story. 

Personally I’d want base building totally removed and go back to how it was in the mod, it worked and worked well and was fun. 

Oh and the hoarding issue, anyone who says they ain’t using there mega base to hoard stuff is chatting pure nonsense, 4 cars and 5 tents full of AR’s hmmmmm all for trading I think not, like magpies 

Could also combat this idea by upping the amount of stuff it takes to build massively to make it harder

Edited by ne_om

While I initially votes yes, I've come to realize that it wouldn't fix much. Aside from the one example provided (the Library) all current bases I know of are held by groups who with that logic would still be well within their right to have as much of a base up as they have right now. This isn't going to stop any megabases from happening, because its the biggest groups that build the biggest bases.

I still don't have a issue with limiting things (but staff already said in here that it'd be hard to track and keep in check) but it wouldn't solve anything whatsoever. This sounds like a rule that'll only hit small groups/dynamics and leave the current bases entirely untouched. And making it even more costly to build doesn't solve anything either because the biggest groups have the manpower/extra time to put into compensating for that.

I'm still in favor for prefabed bases for approved groups that have been approved for a x amount of time (since almost every group seems to get approved within a week currently), but that puts more strain on the staffteam.

In the end, I feel these discussions aren't about building bases itself, but down to the fact people stash too much Roleplay in there or hide behind their walls and don't want to come out. I wonder what discussions/complaints would arise if one day both persistent containers and basebuilding as a whole would be removed.

Remove base building fully and make bases in the editor with set rules, keeping the amount of things on the lvl of 20 people can do x and so forth 

3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Remove base building fully and make bases in the editor with set rules, keeping the amount of things on the lvl of 20 people can do x and so forth 

This 100% Would help with server performance since the bases would be focused on the people that have the most use for them. While it might not be fair to limt base building to groups of 20+ this is the reality that we live in.