Server time (UTC): 2019-11-18, 20:08
Sign in to follow this  
RavenousRP

Give admins server box access

Give admins server box access   

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand completely that the server is Roland and he may not trust anyone with the access to it. However i feel as if you're admin and worked your way to that position that some responsiblity should be given to them as rolle can't be there to do it all the time, hence the server down now and when he sleeps or is busy nothing can be done about it

I agree partially. I think perhaps admins need to have a more direct line to Roland perhaps over discord or website pms as he most likely restarts it remotely anyway. Having admins access to a server box is a pretty big risk to take IMO. 

You would think the people at the top would be trusted with it like it was in the past not sure what changed..

+1

I thought Admins had it already. From my experience, server owners tend to no play on their own servers because they are holding too much responsibility and not delegating enough responsibilities to others that they trust. So yes, please give Admins the ability to help Roland out. 

+1

Back when I was an admin we were able to do this. I don't know what changed in those years between then and now, but at least one or two admins should be trusted with the access to deal with hard resets. The server is down now, and Rolle is sleeping.

I've admined on a Rust server and we have about 3-4 senior admins who have access to the box. they are trusted and had worked hard up the ranks and are well respected by the community. We do have a script on our box as to when it detects that the server crashes it will reboot the server ,exe  since I am not sure how Dayz servers run but it might be an option if it isn't already in.

+1.

Believe that admins should have access in order to fix issues such as now. 

Roland can't be around 24/7 but between the members of the admin team, someone is likely around.

The fact that he can't trust staff with such a simple thing says a lot about this community, sadly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Roland said:

Root access to the machine is not possible for anyone but me for security reasons. However I'm working on installing omega manager on our dedicated server which will not only give access to the staff to restart game servers, but will also do a bunch of other things like auto update mods and the game. 

Soon.

So thats a yes on Mass's / other mods on the workshop then ? or are we stuck to developer mods ?

Edited by Apollo

14 minutes ago, Apollo said:

So thats a yes on Mass's then ? or are we stuck to developer mods ?

Not that this is related to this thread, but Rolle already stated that he doesn't want Mass due to it containing certain items he don't want to be part of the game.

10 minutes ago, Hofer said:

Not that this is related to this thread, but Rolle already stated that he doesn't want Mass due to it containing certain items he don't want to be part of the game.

my bad i got excited for the possibility of workshop mods i edited it

Posted (edited)

I voted no.

Only people that should have access to it is Rolle and JimRP. Sometimes Rolle isnt around but JimRP is, JimRP should be able to do it. I'm not sure what set up Rolle has or if it's possible but I strongly believe both owners should have the access to the server box.

Edited by FalkRP

17 minutes ago, FalkRP said:

I voted no.

Only people that should have access to it is Rolle and JimRP. Sometimes Rolle isnt around but JimRP is, JimRP should be able to do it. I'm not sure what set up Rolle has or if it's possible but I strongly believe both owners should that the access to the server box.

Why I voted no 

This has now been installed. Servers will now automatically scan for any game/mod updates, if detected there will be a message in game about it and server will shutdown, update game/mods and start again completely automatically. It also has a more advanced crash detection system which should automatically restart server if it ends up in a limbo state (like it did last night).

Basically, I don't have to do anything anymore 😄 

2 hours ago, Roland said:

This has now been installed. Servers will now automatically scan for any game/mod updates, if detected there will be a message in game about it and server will shutdown, update game/mods and start again completely automatically. It also has a more advanced crash detection system which should automatically restart server if it ends up in a limbo state (like it did last night).

- USER WAS CAUTIONED FOR THIS POST -

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Exciting news. Great work, Rolle!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Roland said:

Nice now we don't have to shout your name hoping you'll answer.

Edited by Eagle

This hopefully would make the day to day player experience much better, glad to see it added.