Server time (UTC): 2019-11-13, 10:53
Sign in to follow this  
OldSchool

The main reason for Combat Logging

Combat log character reset  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's be real here, the reason members combat log is usually because they're afraid that an encounter might have them lose their preciously earned gear. Can we agree that in that case it would be justifiable to reset their character if found guilty? I think it would be a very strong incentive for people to stay in game and take a chance instead, because as it is, if you combat log, you might get reported and punished for a 3 day ban and 10 points, but you log back in with all your sweet gear. I find this mildly annoying and unfair. Feel free to discuss in a civil manner.

Honestly this seems like good justice, in certain situations.

If someone logs out in the middle of combat, a hostage situation or even right after seeing a group in the distance I think it's a good reason to wipe them of their gear.

If someone logs out a minute before their combat log timer runs out, I don't think we should go as far as to wipe them of their gear when they thought they weren't doing anything wrong.

In all honesty id want to go back to character resets for all rulebreaks like the good ol days rather than just for combat logging

Most CLs I dealt with as a GM were either people deliberately ignoring the timer or people who missed it by 1-2 minutes. Personally I don't think missing it by a minute or two, but trying to wait it out anyway, should result in a gear wipe. Offences like KoS/RDM I can get on board with a gear wipe, as typically you loot the people you kill. Of course, people could circumvent this by dumping their gear before a verdict is posted.

11 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

In all honesty id want to go back to character resets for all rulebreaks like the good ol days rather than just for combat logging

Honestly, I think that'd be better but I'm seeing a majority of the player base would be against it.

1 minute ago, OldSchool said:

Honestly, I think that'd be better but I'm seeing a majority of the player base would be against it.

No need to go against it if you dont break rules 😉

I'd be fine with character wipes for any rule break to be honest, though it would suck if I began the logout process and someone suddenly ran up out of no where. (The character remains in the server even after disconnect, though I'm sure these instances would be so rare it would be pointless to even factor it in.)

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I'd be fine with character wipes for any rule break to be honest, though it would suck if I began the logout process and someone suddenly ran up out of no where. (The character remains in the server even after disconnect, though I'm sure these instances would be so rare it would be pointless to even factor it in.)

It's still a valid point but I completely agree that this should be the punishment for a combat log   

I don't think it should be protocol, like missing the timer by 30 seconds results in a character wipe, that's a huge yikes.

However, if seen fit as a punishment, much like we PK the characters for NVFL offenses, this should be a possibility to add an extra deterrent from breaking the rules.

And it keeps the loot economy in check 😉 

3 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Agreed

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2019 at 1:12 AM, OldSchool said:

Let's be real here, the reason members combat log is usually because they're afraid that an encounter might have them lose their preciously earned gear.

Is it though? Thats the "campfireRPer avoiding RP - combat log", which from my experience is alot more rare than the "I just PvPd/had a hostage and either forgot to set a timer or just couldnt be bothered to wait my 30 - combat log"

But yes, wiping a character for rule breaks might be an alright idea but I dont see why CL would specifically be the one rulebreak that should get your char wiped. 

Edited by Osku

1 minute ago, Osku said:

Is it though? Thats the "campfireRPer avoiding RP - combat log", which from my experience is alot more rare than the "I just PvPd/had a hostage and either forgot to set a timer or just couldnt be bothered to wait my 30 - combat log"

I think both are realistic you’ve got the combat loggers from a hostile situation or PVP cause they don’t want to loose their gear and you have campfire RP’ers that log out because they have a custom outfit or weapon they never intend to use but it completes their look and they don’t want to loose it to a hostile situation so they log 

It would be a valid, though I feel it should only apply in situations where it's actual combat logging, not in situations where someone misjudges the timer by a couple of minutes. If it's a clear case of someone avoiding consequences to their character/equipment by logging far too early without permission then I'd be fine with having a character wiped for it. But to stress it once more, I think it should be judged case-by-case because otherwise it'd be far too easy to get someone whacked for logging out 2 minutes before the timer's up.

3 minutes ago, Kenyi said:

It would be a valid, though I feel it should only apply in situations where it's actual combat logging, not in situations where someone misjudges the timer by a couple of minutes. If it's a clear case of someone avoiding consequences to their character/equipment by logging far too early without permission then I'd be fine with having a character wiped for it. But to stress it once more, I think it should be judged case-by-case because otherwise it'd be far too easy to get someone whacked for logging out 2 minutes before the timer's up.

Well combat logging is subject to conditions.

In the past if someone leaves a minute or two early they wouldn’t be given a punishment due to it being so close to the timer and an honest mistake of misjudgement

Donno y i voted no, think its fine if the timer has more than 2-3 minutes left since players that have less probably knew about the timer, waited it out nearly completely but missed it by a little, but player above that 3 minute left mark should be reset. 

Combat logging done intentionally: scummy thing, should result in a character reset.

Combat logging done accidentally: shouldn't result in a character reset. Usually done with a few minutes left on their timer and they miss-timed it. No need for further punishment. 

Think it should be at GM team discretion personally. Save the character reset for serious rulebreaks or for malicious rulebreaks. 

Every combat log is different. I think if they are found guilty, then punish them harshly. If it was a power failure or something terrible happened and they had to go, then I don't think so. I say leave it on a case by case basis but if it was intentional, make them restart. 

Posted (edited)

pretty sure the majority of combat logging is when people log off before their timer runs out, and not the blatant stuff where they log out while in a hostile situation. Like a guy recently got a warning for being 30 seconds before his timer

Edited by nisbo

I'd be absolutely fine with this as long as it was implemented at staff discretion, to avoid cases where someone is technically guilty of combat logging getting their shit wiped just because they logged off thirty seconds too early.  As long as we can target this correctly, I see no reason not to implement it.

On 8/24/2019 at 7:54 PM, Voodoo said:

Also this.  If you kill someone on sight, don't spawn them back in with the same gun they used to commit a major rulebreak.  Add some more levity to punishments.

I do agree with @Voodoo, More severity and punishment for rule-brakes such as KOS ect seems fair along with a ban. Also more on the point if they are guilty of combat logging, in a major way, not as stated above me for missing 30 seconds or something , I believe people should have there gear reset. Thats the thing they are trying to avoid and to me thats just gearRP.

eh not always gotta be a case to case 

Someone logs of seconds of mins after a hostile action sure why not

Like a min before or seconds before the timer is up. Then it should be verdicted after the circumstances

Instead of resetting character based on individual rules broken I think character resets should be applied based on the length of ban. For example, if you are banned for 5 days or more you get your character reset.

You could also use character reset as part of an aggravated punishment in smaller ban cases, such as combat log, if the guilty party has broken the same rule before.

This is actually a fantastic idea, I doubt it will be implemented but a great idea nonetheless!

+1

On 8/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, Conor said:

Instead of resetting character based on individual rules broken I think character resets should be applied based on the length of ban. For example, if you are banned for 5 days or more you get your character reset.

You could also use character reset as part of an aggravated punishment in smaller ban cases, such as combat log, if the guilty party has broken the same rule before.

I totally agree there, gear play is stupid to be blunt it is every where!