Server time (UTC): 2019-11-13, 05:51
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Longbow

How should I be RPing with no Mic (proper use of in game text)

Just a quick question to make sure i'm doing this correctly.  Unfortunately I am away from home for an extended amount of time and do not have a mic to use for the server (plus I have to be quiet all the time).  So in game I've modeled my character's backstory to basically not be able to talk.  I'm getting pretty good with the emote wheel and I carry around either a piece of paper or a journal with me for me to RP writing things down to communicate.  When I do this do I just type in game via the text bar?  Does it need to be prefaced with // or is that for out of character chat.  Is the chat itself localized too or is it server wide?  I have been using a * to indicate an action   like : *"writes vigorously on the journal  etc then just texting normally as if I had written the stuff in a page.  Hope I'm at least close! Just want to make sure I'm not messing it up and hurting other's RP experience.  Thanks!

Posted (edited)

When I do this do I just type in game via the text bar? 

• Yes.

Does it need to be prefaced with // or is that for out of character chat?

• Asterisks (*) indicate to the reader that it's an emote. Dashes (-) are sometimes used instead too.
  • Two Forward-Slashes (//) indicate to the reader that it's an Out of Character message. (Review Rule 3.8)
  • I personally prefer if players use quotations (" ") when vocalizing theirTextRPing, but it's not a requirement. Typing regularly indicates that you're speaking In-Character.

Is the chat itself localized too or is it server wide?

The communication in your text-bar indicated the type of chat it is... You'll probably see either a blank box, or it will say "Direct Communication" , "Radio", "Vehicle", etc.

To answer your question, generally as of the moment text chat is strictly to your localized area, I would say about up to 20m in radius from your position.

Edited by Camo

You're welcome. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. 🙂 

I mean you don't have to play your character so that he can't talk, you could just text rp which is basically talking just in text.

Posted (edited)

Best way to text rp is not to text rp, get a mic

Edited by YNW Pep

7 hours ago, YNW Pep said:

Best way to text rp is not to text rp, get a mic

I have a mic at my set up at home but am currently deployed.  Thanks for the advise.