Server time (UTC): 2019-10-21, 23:57
Sign in to follow this  
Apollo

Mods on the server

Posted (edited)

I know we use our own mods but am curious as to why this server doesnt use much of the mods available, they add a lot to the gameplay.

Edit: So with what @JimRP & @Ducky said @Roland will you be adding the mods that don't need constant updates like Mass's Many Items Overhaul ? and if so is there a possible eta ?

Edited by Apollo

While many of the custom mods add a lot to RP there's one big issue with it. Updates.

We don't know when they're updated. With the nature of how Steam Workshop works, it automatically updates for everyone who has the mod installed. Every time a mod is updated our servers have to be restarted to apply the latest mod version.

By adding more outside mods the servers would more often be unplayable until restarted and the mods applied as we have no control over the external mods.

The more we rely on the outside (External Mods) the bigger chance of downtime we have.

If we installed a clothing mod which added 300 new types of clothes, that plenty of people are using ingame, or guns or whatever else, we will have to wait until the author of that mod updates it to the latest version of DayZ, should a new standalone come out that day.

Some authors are very good and quick to do this, others are not.

The reason why we can take liberties with mods such as Summer Chernarus is that, effectively, all it does is change the textures on the map, textures which can easily be reverted back without causing any issues, but if everyone is using clothes that is part of a mod, we wont be able to disable that mod and keep playing cause it will cause all the clothes and items on characters to be deleted, or worse, cause really bad errors.

Ideally, anything that does not inherently create new scripts or has anything to do with loot will work since we can turn it off or on at a whim (Summer Chernarus, Winter Chernarus)

And other things we use for development and general server performance such as CF (Community Framework, solves so many problems.)

Some of these are necessary, others are ideal and we can easily change them without causing issues.

I hope this answered your question, I can assure you that, if you have suggestions feel free to post other mods as reference, we may not add the mod directly, but we are more than happy to take inspiration, I can guarantee you that.

I support the addition of Mass's Many Items Overhaul mod (just gotta remove the heavy plate carrier crafting recipe and a few clothing items from the loot table and that's it) to the server as well as Windstride's pack but it's up to @Roland since he's the one who has to update the files when updates get rolled out for said mods. 

23 hours ago, Apollo said:

I know we use our own mods but am curious as to why this server doesnt use much of the mods available, they add a lot to the gameplay.

Edit: So with what @JimRP & @Ducky said @Roland will you be adding the mods that don't need constant updates like Mass's Many Items Overhaul ? and if so is there a possible eta ?

MMIO will need constant updating, it adds a bunch of new classes (items) which means that, if a dayz standalone update gets pushed, we have to wait for Mass to update his mod before we can start the server.

Otherwise, anyone wearing any of his 300 clothing items will lose them and the items inside, or even worse, it may cause very severe bugs.

It wouldn't be the first time someone had an item that technically doesnt exist, causing a billion errors.

Sign in to follow this