Server time (UTC): 2019-11-17, 06:12
Sign in to follow this  
BigLittleShōrts

Make the map smaller? Evolve the story?

Posted (edited)

So everyone loves Chernarus, or at least we have no other option right now in Standalone. Max 80 people, even though Bohemia recommends 60 for stability, on a huge map means a lot of wandering and dead time here. Obviously you could look to the forums, try and find where the hang outs are and exclusively go there, there's obviously the main traffic ways too but it's a lot of space to cover for so few people. 

My main question is, is there a way to make the current map smaller? I'll list some reason, thoughts and questions as bullet points.

- Would making the map smaller improve server performance? Creating a divide between a part of the map and chopping it off, make it lore based (at least for a short period of time perhaps as a test).
- If so, could we then increase single server population? This would help increase interaction server wide as well as the smaller size.

I feel with a smaller map, more people per server and a little more server performance to play with, there's a lot of possibilities for lore based PCB's or overhauling DayZRP to be more creative. Maybe entering "a new age" as more features come into the game such as more vehicles and weapons to allow the core experience to evolve.

A bigger focus on co-existing, common cause, new community type feel with a city/town walled off and modified to be a central hub. I feel there's a large scope here to move passed the vanilla experience while creating something really unique. I wouldn't want a life server with a currency system and effectively everything boiled down to drug running etc but it would be great to create an environment where being a civilian-type character has more reward and value and the fighting PVP aspect really means something.

Got carried away but I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Edited by BigLittleShōrts

S2 seems to be your cup of tea now mate 😄

I like the idea. Not sure if it's possble or allowed to do though.

We are already planning on "chopping off" the western and northern border of Chernarus on S1, just waiting for the radiation mod to be finished - hopefully in nexy DayZRP patch. This will make the map smaller and increase player density on the remaining play area. The radiation creeping over the borders will have a lore explanation of course and will be linked to some people migrating off-shore to Utes island (S2).

18 minutes ago, Roland said:

We are already planning on "chopping off" the western and northern border of Chernarus on S1, just waiting for the radiation mod to be finished - hopefully in nexy DayZRP patch. This will make the map smaller and increase player density on the remaining play area. The radiation creeping over the borders will have a lore explanation of course and will be linked to some people migrating off-shore to Utes island (S2).

Will this cut off the map to be more along the lines of the DayZ Mod Chernarus, or even more?

2 minutes ago, Hofer said:

Will this cut off the map to be more along the lines of the DayZ Mod Chernarus, or even more?

The plan was to cut off approximately 1km from the edge, so on the western border about up to Kamenka, On northern border a little past Novo. But we can always adjust it to cut in more 😄 

Wow. So, let's cut out the things that make Chernarus+ any good. Expanded areas, small towns and nice looking locations. Might aswell change to A2 and use normal Chernarus if these additions are made.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Roland said:

The plan was to cut off approximately 1km from the edge, so on the western border about up to Kamenka, On northern border a little past Novo. But we can always adjust it to cut in more 😄 

No thanks, might as well go play on call of duty sized maps with that. 

Please do not even consider cutting off from the map, if something a bigger map would be nice. 

Tbh wish we could have an expanded map of chernarus to the west but thats not happening so

Also fully agree with @Isaiah CortezPVE

Edited by MajooRB

10 minutes ago, Roland said:

If that's all you're cutting access to, I don't see the issue. Also, after seeing that you would use the radiation mod for it, would we also be able to have irradiated areas in-map that require special gear to access?

Seems fine to me.

Making the map smaller is a great compromise to lowering the server pop for balance issues. You might lose some fringe towns, but thats just fine. Radiation happened, its an IC thing, part of the lore, players can mourn it in game.

Cut it! Get all these campfire RPers out from hiding..

Posted (edited)

Cut the map it's to big for 80 ppl to run about, story could be the Russians have started to push along the border to take their claim as no one wishes to take responsibility for the country.

Edited by Eagle

damn that would be a shame the far west side (mid to south) is some of the best looking areas in my opinion alongside the far north (eastern parts)

15 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Cut the map it's to big for 80 ppl to run about, story could be the Russians have started to push along the border to take their claim as no one wishes to take responsibility for the country.

Chedaki took half of Chernarus. Problem solved. 😉

1 hour ago, Roland said:

but the north and west are the most beautiful places on the map.....

Yeah, exactly what the others have been saying - Please don't cut the map, at the very least not there. You're planning on removing the best parts of the map. 

So this is the plan right? Looks bad to me. 

unknown.png

Posted (edited)

How about we cut the south and east instead?

Coast just causes lag anyway with the insanely thick mist, and nobody plays on the east!

Edited by RedSky

5 minutes ago, Isaiah CortezPVE said:

Why does it look bad? More RP.

In my opinion I don’t think the size of the map is what limits people’s RP. I think it’s the fact that everyone, myself included, are all just staying in one area and just rping there. It’s gonna be impossible to do so but you might need to see a way to get people to get out of their zones and move around again.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Inferno453 said:

In my opinion I don’t think the size of the map is what limits people’s RP. I think it’s the fact that everyone, myself included, are all just staying in one area and just rping there. It’s gonna be impossible to do so but you might need to see a way to get people to get out of their zones and move around again.

There is only one way to let people move again..

@Roland drop the gas on Cherno pls

Jokes aside, the only reason the RP is so boring these days is because 40 people sit in Cherno. I miss the days where you could find all kinds of RP around Chernarus.

Edited by Jackfish

Just now, Inferno453 said:

This is also a large part of it. I've counted at least 20 people at Chernogorsk before. Cutting the map down won't make it more likely to find people, it'll just give those that like the wilderness less area to live in. They'll be forced into cities. If you ask me, something needs to be done about the mega-settlements. I don't know, a horde event maybe? 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Is that a war declaration on Novodmitrovsk? The Tower will endure.

Joking aside, the only thing I'm hoping this "cutting" the map will be is that you need proper equipment to venture into those parts, not literally make them unreachable and uninhabitable. The only way I'd ever agree to that is if for completely selfish reasons the Municipal Tower would be placed back in Chernogorsk, and even then it'd still feel dirty because you'd be cutting out a lot of people's favorite spots (and also the favorite place to get guns for people that need guns to RP, that being Tisy).

Thinking of it, it would make far more sense if the radiation creeped in from the sea. After all, the NATO fleet got Hiroshima'd there, so the fallout from that could make its way up to the Chernarussian coast and make the entire coastal area a bad place to be.

-1  Don't cut the most beautiful natural areas out of the map.  Part of the joy of this game is exploring.