Server time (UTC): 2019-11-17, 06:18
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisW

Need something to do?

Brad-Pitt-Clapping-67915.gif.c7ec12c0b9efaebc1444949e5d31972e.gif

Absolutely unbelievable, a great production by @ChrisW.

He made some good points here, major lore events (pun intended @Major) are too difficult for the lore team to handle and history has proven itself once again.

However the lore team in conjunction with gamemasters should great small scale mini events that kick off with a radio message in game. 

@Banshee @Osku and a couple more gamemasters at the time when they were staff created a mini chedaki hostage event in altar castle, it was great, enjoyed it very much and created a minor 'news' story travelling around the map for the day by word of mouth.

More time should be put into small scale easily achievable events rather than world war 3 events that never work and disappoint all. Also less zombie and wolf hoarde spawning (no one enjoys them anymore) and more mini events.

I really like this idea to be honest
+1 for sure ❤️

DayZ has always been a sandbox'y game where players create their own content. It's difficult to change that without some kind of automation, I doubt staff will have the endurance to manually run events every day for players in all times zones to satisfy this "something to do" thing that players want.

We already have a feature plan for automated events in our development tracker (air drops, horde spawns, stash announcements, call for help, etc). It will take some time to create it, there are other features that we are working on first.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Roland said:

DayZ has always been a sanbox'y game where players create their own content. It's difficult to change that without some kind of automation, I doubt staff will have the endurance to manually run events every day for players in all times zones to satisfy this "something to do" thing that players want.

We already have a feature plan for automated events in our development tracker (air drops, horde spawns, stash announcements, call for help, etc). It will take some time to create it, there are other features that we are working on first.

If it's in the works, then this is nothing but a short term solution and therefore the first part of staff endurance wouldn't really come into play. Although that's understandable it's not like im suggesting an event per person per day, it's more of a weekly maybe twice-three times at max broadcast here and there with a bit of roleplay incentive, I know for one that given something like that to do, I personally could come up with an idea in very short time and have an idea how to play it out so im sure the bright stars here at the DayZRP staff team could figure something. 

I appreciate the response though big man much love yeh.

Edited by ChrisW

Posted (edited)

the problem your going to have without anything to do is the server will fall into pvp mode with people pvping more and engaging more and looking for fights due

to nothing to do. 

so i do have to agree with the OP on this one something needs to happen.

Edited by oneill

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

Didn't mean to flex with the powerpoint or anythink just fancied a change ngl.

Amazed you haven't got a job yet with powerpoints like that, oh wait.

Agreed on the boredom part.

DayZ has for a long time been the "make your own adventure", which is fun for a moment, and quickly turns to "run around, find people, exchange a few words, rinse and repeat". But things don't have to be that way. I'm not talking about taking player control away, on the contrary, I think it's the best part about dayz and rp, but there are alternatives to the gameplay, set and setting.

It's easy to say "we've always done it this way". It's harder to come up with something new. At this point though, it's just a matter of if we are going to be the ones to make that push for something new or if someone else is going to do it first. There's a lot of conservatism and skepticism around this topic because of the whole "we've always done it this way" -attitude, but I'm telling you, we need a change. It's not going to be easy or quick, but it's going to be necessary. And I'm not talking about automated events here, I'm talking switching up big time, Plan B, because let's be real, chasing supply drops etc. will be interesting for a week, but you're still going to be repeating the aforementioned mantra.

Wake up sheeple. WAKE UP. Demand change, be vocal. It's the only way you'll be heard, we'll get to be innovative and change happens.

❤️

9 minutes ago, Kerkkoh said:

DayZ has for a long time been the "make your own adventure", which is fun for a moment, and quickly turns to "run around, find people, exchange a few words, rinse and repeat". But things don't have to be that way. I'm not talking about taking player control away, on the contrary, I think it's the best part about dayz and rp, but there are alternatives to the gameplay, set and setting.

It's easy to say "we've always done it this way". It's harder to come up with something new. At this point though, it's just a matter of if we are going to be the ones to make that push for something new or if someone else is going to do it first. There's a lot of conservatism and skepticism around this topic because of the whole "we've always done it this way" -attitude, but I'm telling you, we need a change. It's not going to be easy or quick, but it's going to be necessary. And I'm not talking about automated events here, I'm talking switching up big time, Plan B, because let's be real, chasing supply drops etc. will be interesting for a week, but you're still going to be repeating the aforementioned mantra.

Wake up sheeple. WAKE UP. Demand change, be vocal. It's the only way you'll be heard, we'll get to be innovative and change happens.

❤️

This man is trying to start an uprising, guards, arrest him.

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

This man is trying to start an uprising, guards, arrest him.

I'm ready to be a martyr for this, if necessary. I don't fear death, I welcome it.

Honestly this would be cool kinda reminds me of the council days on mod with the gms rolling around picking people up ect it kept it fresh and gave us a common goal it also impacted the lore and allowed us as players make stories about them stealing children ect. even if it isn't to that extent when the gms do host things it is always a fun time and everyone always enjoys it.

32 minutes ago, Jinx said:

Honestly this would be cool kinda reminds me of the council days on mod with the gms rolling around picking people up ect it kept it fresh and gave us a common goal it also impacted the lore and allowed us as players make stories about them stealing children ect. even if it isn't to that extent when the gms do host things it is always a fun time and everyone always enjoys it.

I remember this. We had more possibilities when it came to spawning different vehicles and tools in the mod though.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kerkkoh said:

❤️

I completely agree... so I shout into my pillow, cause it has as much as an effect as it is shouting on forums about that particular topic. But I personally see even far bigger issues... not sure if as a community we could fix it.

Edited by Shanoby

7 hours ago, Ryan Shepherd said:

Brad-Pitt-Clapping-67915.gif.c7ec12c0b9efaebc1444949e5d31972e.gif

Absolutely unbelievable, a great production by @ChrisW.

He made some good points here, major lore events (pun intended @Major) are too difficult for the lore team to handle and history has proven itself once again.

However the lore team in conjunction with gamemasters should great small scale mini events that kick off with a radio message in game. 

@Banshee @Osku and a couple more gamemasters at the time when they were staff created a mini chedaki hostage event in altar castle, it was great, enjoyed it very much and created a minor 'news' story travelling around the map for the day by word of mouth.

More time should be put into small scale easily achievable events rather than world war 3 events that never work and disappoint all. Also less zombie and wolf hoarde spawning (no one enjoys them anymore) and more mini events.

Thanks for the vote of confidence...

Posted (edited)

2013 Player here. I remember the mod days and the less restrictions on lore and group creation. Sometimes you had a group that did not make sense. But a lot of times you had groups like the hobo's, SVR, the raven shield corporation. Why I wanted to log in is because of the people and their creativity. After 2015 the community became way more stale, A lot of people got banned aswell. Yes a lot of those people where cunts because the hurt other people by judging and saying nasty shit but a lot of them had some brilliant ideas aswell. Look at Joffrey for example. 

I feel that dayZ is not stale. I feel that the community became stale and the members within it. Chance that, find a new community direction with each other and get more creative with the creation of groups. It is a big map, You can even add PCB'S go do that! The whole chedaki, SVR. CLF, Russian ect propaganda and old groups have been done! figure out new shit old timers or find some inspiration from white names. The there the people that keep your community alive in the end of the day. 

This community is based on conflict, Looking at the suggestion topic in discord. Those dank CSGO knifes. Instead of that you can focus your resources on clothing. 

On a side note of my rambling. Did you guys ever roleplayed with each other at the start of the outbreak. I mean wearing full police clothing, medic clothing, firefighters, soldiers trying to help people. Instead of conflict, grow with each other. try to be good. 

Edited by Shiro

On 8/16/2019 at 6:16 AM, ChrisW said:

How the Lord intended for this to be viewed;

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1dOK-UAfySrn2E1sr_qbuHNc91sJh0jMDBote9QBBCJo/edit?usp=sharing

image.png.207f4efd97a6c7f2d160f4bc044a153f.png

image.png.fe9bf17708a47a1f8b85c23e85bf77d7.png

image.png.348135599aa1f5a501c9303da648307b.png

image.png.6e14572c4ac249c6569aeb9e3fa5d72d.png

image.png.af88a3f36ed7a707ffc5205e68633ea2.png

Didn't mean to flex with the powerpoint or anythink just fancied a change ngl.

With pleasure. Unfortunately, if people don't volunteer for dynamic events we can't do them, and often times even when people say they show up they don't. So if you want this stuff to happen, send me a PM and I'll add you to the event team server.

58 minutes ago, Major said:

With pleasure. Unfortunately, if people don't volunteer for dynamic events we can't do them, and often times even when people say they show up they don't. So if you want this stuff to happen, send me a PM and I'll add you to the event team server.

Ok now that I know that I'll Pm you but before this point this wasn't made aware to me, and perhaps that's why not many volunteer?

1 minute ago, ChrisW said:

Ok now that I know that I'll Pm you but before this point this wasn't made aware to me, and perhaps that's why not many volunteer?

We have an abundance of volunteers, just few that show up. 

Details there.

Posted (edited)

its starting to sound like a near future lore wipe (?)

Edited by Apollo

Just now, Apollo said:

its starting to sound like a near future lore wipe (?)

One can only hope so. That will fix all of our problems for sure!

On 8/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, Shiro said:

Why I wanted to log in is because of the people and their creativity. After 2015 the community became way more stale,

It is a big map, You can even add PCB'S go do that! 

On a side note of my rambling. Did you guys ever roleplayed with each other at the start of the outbreak. I mean wearing full police clothing, medic clothing, firefighters, soldiers trying to help people. Instead of conflict, grow with each other. try to be good. 

Loved these points particularly from Shiro. Would love to see loosened group rules again to promote some more variety again.

I wonder how often the average member changes their play style, the type of character they play and the people they play with. Mixing things up yourself, trying a different approach to playing the game can do a lot. Too many people come from playing regular DayZ wanting to be an alpha type character, have the nice guns, feel like a tough guy in an RP world. Instead of wondering whether you have kills rights and when you can blow someone's head off, maybe try a different mindset.

No amount of lore events or changing of the lore is going to stop a game becoming stale eventually. I'm personally not a fan of a loremaster, I like the landscape to be shaped by the hundreds/thousands of people actively playing in the community, creating experiences for others that resonate throughout the server, even for a short amount of time. To me, big shifts in lore or manufactured events that are pushed into the server artificially are a detriment to the experience of playing here. 

PCB's were a fantastic addition back in the day for RP, they came with challenges but bases like the Ravens Nest, Haven and Kotei Shima island live long in the memory for me as memorable places that served as a great focus for the groups to not only defend but to make influential server wide. 

Need something to do?

Give other people something to do. You've solved the problem for yourself and whoever shows up to do it.

Hopefully that doesn't come off too cunty, as it isn't my intent. Boredom catches up to everyone eventually so you've gotta stir the pot, sometimes you have to be the guy that starts a fist fight in the middle of town after a drunken argument to make everyone else laugh at the (potential) expense of your character. 

Posted (edited)

I honestly don't think the issue lays with DayZRP, but rather DayZ itself. DayZ is a sandbox game, where the players create their own content through interactions with others. In the vanilla game this content is mostly trying to stay alive by avoiding or killing those whom are trying to kill you, and in DayZRP's case it's roleplaying. But besides all that, there's not much else to do.

The game itself is just too empty (in it's current state). The only thing you can really do is play dress-up with the various clothing items that are scattered around the map, avoid or kill zombies and talk with other people. The basebuilding is outright horrible (compared to other games), and serves no real purpose besides being able to store more clothes for playing dress-up. The survival mechanics are too simple, consisting of 'eat & drink to stay alive', with nothing else (besides some diseases) to spice it up.

Look at a game like 'Project Zomboid' for example, where each character has certain traits, weaknesses and skills that they can progressively enhance. Your character can get panicked when massively outnumbered, scared when an infected jumps into your line of sight, you can get stressed from certain events or even a nicotine addiction, and some other mechanics. All those things spice up the 'survival' aspect of the game, making it more then just 'Eat, drink & don't die'.

There's just not enough working content in the game to make it any more interesting then; Zombie apocolypse dress-up running around and maybe sometimes shooting people simulator.

Edited by Banshee