Server time (UTC): 2019-10-22, 17:38
Sign in to follow this  
DookieCS

Large Groups

Posted (edited)

Large groups are a part of DayZRP and that's a fact, I personally enjoy it when it's done correctly and I feel like they can provide great an interesting RP. Although I'm not too sure if the way certain groups are working at the moment is benefiting anyone, including the large groups I'm talking about.

When 50% of the server population is based in a single area with nothing to offer other than internalRP and hostilities, that's why I personally feel the need to express myself in this way. I'm not saying to remove the groups or anything like that, but perhaps find a way to make these large groups benefit the server and everyone playing on it. Maybe a different rule set that applies to large groups of 30+ members or something similar? (This is just a quick idea I came up with on the spot, don't take it as an actual suggestion) Fact is that it's probably getting hard to control the quality of RP when there's so many people to look after. The size of groups is not only effecting the RP in the area sorrounding them but also people who aren't remotely connected to them, as they drive the RP away from most other parts of the map. 

I'll end my opinion by saying, we're here to play a game and to have an enjoyable experience while doing so. But with the current state of the groups I find myself enjoying the game less and less and I know that I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Please let me know below if you think my opinion is completely false, so we can have a discussion about it.

Edited by DookieCS
Added clarification.

I believe you’re speaking about the hotspot where at least 4-5 groups frequent it pretty often.

there is no group with that many people as far as I am aware.

Just now, Lucas said:

I don't understand what you're asking for... 

This is a discussion thread and not a suggestion thread. Not asking for anything other than opinions on the matter. 🙂

Like stated, i'm a little unsure on what you mean? like big groups shouldn't be allowed to gather up in places and hang out? 
Or if the groups should be divided?

Yeah I'm a bit confused myself, what exactly is it you're asking our opinion for?

The size of groups is not only effecting the RP in the area sorrounding them but also people who aren't remotely connected to them, as they drive the RP away from most other parts of the map. 

Would people agree or disagree?

I do hope I made myself clear now.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, DookieCS said:

The size of groups is not only effecting the RP in the area sorrounding them but also people who aren't remotely connected to them, as they drive the RP away from most other parts of the map. 

Would people agree or disagree?

I do hope I made myself clear now.

Agree on what? you make no points to really agree to or disagree on.

Edited by Eagle

The point is clear, the sizes of the groups are forcing people to all congregate in one area of the map to RP since no one will ever run into any other players in other locations, and this is being posed as a bad thing.

Whether or not I agree with this is another thing altogether.  I disagree that it's forcing players to one section of the map.  I've found players all over the place, and I've found large concentrations of them all over the place.  Even if the large groups were strictly in one spot, it would give a reason for smaller groups to move to other places and stay out of the way of the larger ones.  So I don't think it's such a bad thing.

I’m baffled, are suggesting a limitation on the size of groups? Or what? I have no clue what this thread is about 

Posted (edited)

From my understanding you are saying that large groups tend to provide stale RP? That can be said for both big or small groups and has nothing to do with group numbers. 

And why is only using a certain part of the map a problem? We're only 80 people per server so being in the same general area benefits everyone 

Edited by NozzyRP

Clearly my opinions differ from the majority here. Got what I wanted, opinions on the matter, feel free to close the thread.

Thanks for the responses, especially those who provided your own insight and took your time to understand what I was saying.

So what you are saying is that, large groups have a sphere of influence around them that can force other groups near them to do what they want/play how they want or are forced to move? 

Yeah thats how it would work in real life.

Posted (edited)

Well... I think there should be atleast a limit. Where only one group can occupy a base, not 3 different groups live in one.

Idea being that even if you are all friends and allies, it at least would create physical traffic between allied bases and spread RP around a bit.

I think that should be one change, not sure to what extent, distance so on.... but could work.

Edited by Shanoby

17 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

Well... I think there should be atleast a limit. Where only one group can occupy a base, not 3 different groups live in one.

Idea being that even if you are all friends and allies, it at least would create physical traffic between allied bases and spread RP around a bit.

I think that should be one change, not sure to what extent, distance so on.... but could work.

Why restrict an element of roleplay because people find it unfair you made friends.

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Why restrict an element of roleplay because people find it unfair you made friends.

They are restricting the roleplay themselves by barely allowing any outsiders to interact with the groups and barely leaving their bases.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I thought we create RP for others as much as we do it for ourselves?

The question is mostly isolation issue again... thats all... not that I care that you have allies or "friends"...

Edited by Shanoby

1 minute ago, DookieCS said:

They are restricting the roleplay themselves by barely allowing any outsiders to interact with the groups and barely leaving their bases.

so let's force people to roleplay with each other? if people actually find it fun to sit in their base and in internallyRP every day then i don't see a problem, each to their own 

4 minutes ago, NozzyRP said:

so let's force people to roleplay with each other? if people actually find it fun to sit in their base and in internallyRP every day then i don't see a problem, each to their own 

"Forcing" people to provide engaging and interesting storylines that involve more than just a single group? Honestly doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. Again, just my opinion.

1 minute ago, DookieCS said:

"Forcing" people to provide engaging and interesting storylines that involve more than just a single group? Honestly doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. Again, just my opinion.

If the group has made 0 effort to be involved with someone elses story to then be apart of it, who's fault is that, really?

5 minutes ago, DookieCS said:

I'm not gonna force base RPers to go out and interact with the world at large just like large groups that project power and influence things shouldn't be shackled for being large. 

30 minutes ago, Eagle said:

This is completely beside the point, have all the friends you'd like, but consider the fact that this community involves more people than just the people in your proximity.

12 minutes ago, DookieCS said:

This is completely beside the point, have all the friends you'd like, but consider the fact that this community involves more people than just the people in your proximity.

I'm still not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish here? There's a lot of "I'm not sures" and "I feel" and "my opinion is" without actually putting forward what you want.

Roleplay is at a fundamental level the playing of a character in circumstances completely foreign to you and stepping into that character and doing as that character would, including allegiances, beliefs, etc.

People say "I had some fun RP with X" but in reality it's just playing the game. People interact, some groups of people break against others like cascading waves upon rocks. Sometimes those rocks break and make room for new people, sometimes people pool in stagnant ponds and don't move or change, and only act if something is put into their environment. It's not about forcing people to do anything. It's an open world game, and the only thing that should force anyone to do anything should be forces within the world. Every attempt to artificially enhance or change the face of groups and interactions with staged settlements and things decided on an OOC basis upon a certain framework to obtain an outcome has failed miserably. It's like expecting something to come from nothing. The game world is an ecosystem with sharks and minnows. That's literally it. It's best when two groups that are large and can hold their own have a conflict because the ecosystem is stabilized in the conflict. 

It's like trying to control nature. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, DookieCS said:

So your idea would  be to restrict them for your sake, doesn't that sound counterintuitive?

Edited by Eagle

I feel like the issue is not with group size but people trying to avoid role play and just being hostile. For instance we role about 10 deep normally and people go out of their way to avoid us due to fears of getting robbed etc while we don’t just rob the common folk and only groups we have issues with. So we also sometimes role with other groups and we try to provide fun rp and not just be hostile like a lot of the bigger groups. Like we took a group of 3 guys hostage and let them go with almost all of their stuff minus a few things because we have beef with them and as soon as we left they opened up and tried to kill us while we had no intent to kill or rob them of all their stuff. The issue is with players wanting to not loose gear and they avoid rp due to that fact. Now the issue with some of the bigger groups in hot spots is that they just are hostile to anyone they don’t know. We locate in different areas for a reason. We don’t want to be down south near all of that so we have a hotspot I guess you could say of 3 groups none official. We provide fun none hostile role play most of the time