Server time (UTC): 2019-11-13, 10:51
Sign in to follow this  
Finn

Gas mask buffs

Gas masks  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

It's time I bring to you another one of my terrible suggestions...

With the new tear gas that was just added I am now fearing that everyone I now bump into will be wearing gas masks turning the atmosphere into something that replicates S.T.A.L.K.E.R, what most people don't know is that Gas masks (with filters) restrict your air flow, sort of like breathing at high altitudes. When doing strenuous activities like running or anything that brings your heart rate up and with it your breathing. I personally have done physical activity with gas masks during my service in the military and I can tell you, it fucking sucks. It increases your fatigue, your goggles fog up and you can't drink water unless your hook up a bottle to your gas mask (some gas masks have drinking tubes).

TL;DR Gas masks restrict your breathing similar to training masks.

My suggestions:

1. I suggest gas masks should limit your stamina moderately (while worn) so people can't be constantly sprinting around with them to the point where you have no advantage over them even though your breathing isn't restricted.

This will allow those not fortunate enough to find a gas mask to at least have an advantage in stamina over people with gas masks in the case that they are using tear gas and you're able to avoid it.

2. Gas masks should be removed from the shop so people can't spawn them in the middle of a fight.

You may ask "why should we remove them? We could just remove their effects so they don't have the same qualities as a spawned gas mask" because why would you throw a tear gas grenade at a group of people with gas masks not knowing whether they were spawned or not

Vote in the poll and let me know what you think below.

Thanks for reading, have a good day everyone... Slava Kamenici

Edited by Ciiber

Both get a +1 from me 

Being restricted with breathing due to a mask should lower the stamina when worn. If it can be done maybe the gasmask loses its effectiveness depending how long the male characters beard is as it wouldn't make a complete seal on the face?

As for the item shops that's a no brainer. With CS gas being a thing it makes the item now a pay to win accessory 

I agree with removing them from the shop, not the stamina part.

As for removing them from the shop: @Roland

I agree with removing them from the shop - but potentially having retextured damaged versions replace them / made available (which don't have any of its protective functionality and have visible wear-and-tear) for the people who still want that reliable cosmetic spawn-in.

1 hour ago, Bishop said:

I agree with removing them from the shop - but potentially having retextured damaged versions replace them / made available (which don't have any of its protective functionality and have visible wear-and-tear) for the people who still want that reliable cosmetic spawn-in.

Sometimes you can't even tell things are damaged from afar, and to actually tell if something is damaged (atleast for me) you have to be within 10 feet where it won't really be smart to throw gas grenades.

I don't want gas masks to be removed from the shop. I spent money for it. It's part of my look. 

I'm part of a group that wears Masks as an identification method, so I don't agree with any of these suggestions. I didn't ask for tear gas to be added so feel free to remove it if it means masks stay on the shop.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, DookieCS said:

I'm part of a group that wears Masks as an identification method.

It might not be the best identification method as there's tons of people wore them before and there'll only be more that wear them now. Armbands have been a staple for identification since the beginning of DayZ. Not only that but potius cras and the late liquidators all wear gas masks most of the time, it's nothing unique.

44 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

I don't want gas masks to be removed from the shop. I spent money for it. It's part of my look. 

You can be refunded, it's considered protective gear now so for example: I wouldn't consider a plate carrier part of my look. I'm sure you can tolerate not having a gas mask for a little while till you find one in a police station or military base. Isn't there military spawns and police spawns on the prison island?

4 minutes ago, HeadAss said:

Maybe add a cosmetic gas mask to the item shop instead of the one that gives you an advantage?

That's where I'd see a problem since people wouldn't throw gas grenades as they'd think people would have gas masks. Even giving a damaged texture most of the time the items don't actually show the damaged texture unless you are close.

Edited by Ciiber

Posted (edited)

I voted no but I've changed my mind it should be removed from the shop as it gives you an advantage over others during fights.

Edited by Eagle

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Ciiber said:

It might not be the best identification method as there's tons of people wore them before and there'll only be more that wear them now. Armbands have been a staple for identification since the beginning of DayZ. Not only that but potius cras and the late liquidators all wear gas masks most of the time, it's nothing unique.

You can be refunded, it's considered protective gear now so for example: I wouldn't consider a plate carrier part of my look. I'm sure you can tolerate not having a gas mask for a little while till you find one in a police station or military base. Isn't there military spawns and police spawns on the prison island?

That's where I'd see a problem since people wouldn't throw gas grenades as they'd think people would have gas masks. Even giving a damaged texture most of the time the items don't actually show the damaged texture unless you are close.

Forcing a refund on me isn't going to help. I spent money for that item alone. I own it. Forcing a refund on me is taking some away from with out my permission. No I don't agree with this at all. Unless you are going to send my money back to the method of payment I used to purchase it and not in Euros. In American Dollars. I don't want "store credit" 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

9 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Forcing a refund on me isn't going to help. I spent money for that item alone. I own it. Forcing a refund on me is taking some away from with out my permission. No I don't agree with this at all. Unless you are going to send my money back to the method of payment I used to purchase it and not in Euros. In American Dollars. I don't want "store credit" 

You know how you purchased account credit and then used said account credit to purchase the item in question?

Yeah me too.

Gas masks now give an edge in combat as they nullify the effect of the non-lethal gas, and much like it was discussed in the past that NBC suits likely would be removed from the store once they had an actual advantage/use, this is the same scenario.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You know how you purchased account credit and then used said account credit to purchase the item in question?

Yeah me too.

Gas masks now give an edge in combat as they nullify the effect of the non-lethal gas, and much like it was discussed in the past that NBC suits likely would be removed from the store once they had an actual advantage/use, this is the same scenario.

This feels more and more like the server is pandering to PvP instead of RP. My stance remains. 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

After giving it some more thought, I'd actually rather switch around my votes, it being +1 to stamina reduction and -1 to removing it from the shop. It's rather unfair to suddenly pull a item that's been in the game since forever just because of a recent addition, I'd rather see it (if possible) be replaced with a purely cosmetic item that doesn't have the same advantage as the gasmasks that you actually find within the game.

And I feel that now the in-game gasmasks have somekind of advantage/buff on them, it'd be nothing but fair to have them reduce stamina as a sort of balancing act. This means that people can still spawn in gasmasks from the shop that don't have this buff/debuff if they purely use them for cosmetic/roleplay reasons and gives the PvP side a balanced item that guards them from the teargas but has them dealing with decreased stamina (which people counteract through the dexamphetamine pills or epipens) during firefights/hostile situations.

So 1+ to having them have a downside and 1- to removing them from the shop without replacing it with a purely cosmetic variant.

7 hours ago, Ciiber said:

Sometimes you can't even tell things are damaged from afar, and to actually tell if something is damaged (atleast for me) you have to be within 10 feet where it won't really be smart to throw gas grenades.

If you were to throw CS at someone who had a potentially undamaged gas mask on I think you'd be doing it all wrong. As well as this, people can just go into their bags and try and find their gas mask if they're quick enough when the grenade rolls up at their feet - so how do you REALLY know they haven't got a working gas mask unless you frisk them?

Actual footage of groups in DRP learning to put their masks on at 100mph:

I'd say make the masks on the shop fully cosmetic or remove them. The shop is for cosmetic items, not for getting an upper hand in pvp.

Not sure about the stamina part, but leaning on the yes side, because sprinting around in a gas mask isn't too stamina inducing in real life either, and I think that should be taken into account.

A compromise:

If you add welding goggles or ski goggles with a half face mask respirator, then I'd be in favor of it. In exchange for removing the gas mask. 

71zZUYjKvgL._SL1500_.jpg

Gas_Mask.jpg

I'm all for the gas mask being removed from the shop - like mentioned earlier shop items shouldn't give a game advantage, they should stay 100% cosmetic.

And of course it should lower your stamina, that's just adding realism to the game. 

12 hours ago, Ciiber said:

Armbands have been a staple for identification since the beginning of DayZ.

Doesn't mean it's the only thing people should wear as an ID.

I'd rather remove CS nade than gas masks from Item Shop. I ain't going through all those refunds just for a grenade debuff.

The solution I was thinking about was either remove the protection that gas mask offer, or add a simple free gas mask to the item shop.

If they are forced to remain in the shop they should have different colors ie: working (white) not working (black) so you can easily differentiate gas masks. Since I as well as others dont want to have to use binoculars to tell whether something is a store mask or a normal mask before tossing gas nades.

To be honest i dont really care if the gasmasks reduce your stamina or not. But i still went for +1, im more into realism when it comes to things like that.

Should they be removed from market? not necessarily but some changes need to be made, either remove gas mask from shop or the gas grenades. or as @Roland already said "The solution I was thinking about was either remove the protection that gas mask offer, or add a simple free gas mask to the item shop.". whatever would be the best and easiest solution for everyone.

Posted (edited)

As someone who actually owns a fully working double-filtered gas mask and often uses it and runs around with it, It does not affect how far I can run. The more I breathe, the more condensation fogs up the lenses, sure. The only point you'd find it harder to breathe through filters is if there is if the quantity of activated charcoal is too high, meaning it would be classed as a faulty product. People with lung diseases such as asthma or emphysema, elderly people, and others may have trouble breathing normally through a gas mask, but someone without respiratory health issues would be fine running in a gas mask.

-1 on the Stamina part

Roland has already commented on the item shop issue so I won't vote on that.

Edited by VikingHunter
Grammar mistakes, Item shop vote changed to neutral.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

The solution I was thinking about was either remove the protection that gas mask offer, or add a simple free gas mask to the item shop.

Doesn't that mean you'd pretty much fuck over everyone who has bought one since now they'd just be given?

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I'd rather remove CS nade than gas masks from Item Shop. I ain't going through all those refunds just for a grenade debuff.

What about when Kamensk receives it's long awaited actual physical threat, toxic air?

Werent we gonna remove NBC suits + gasmasks from the item store, or make item store versions that did not provide any resistances to the toxic gas?