Server time (UTC): 2019-11-22, 06:24
Sign in to follow this  
Camo

Let's Talk About Dexamphetamine

What's your opinion?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

So, we have to talk about Dexamphetamine.

Dexamphetamine Pills

As much as it pains me to speak against the idea of this item, to which has already been implemented; especially since cars are broken and lack efficient spawn-rates. It is game-breaking. Here's why...

The new custom effects of the Epi-pen was a great addition to the game. For those seeking to travel great distances more quickly; as when injected, it would give you infinite stamina up to about 60 seconds or so. I could accept this feature as balanced, and well thought out.

However, with the implementation of Dexamphetamine bottles having the SAME effect; it essentially gave a player an item that has the equivalent effect of 50 doses of Epinephrine in one bottle, that is the size of 2-slots, and has a quicker animation when taken. I like that useless items in-game right now, such as most medications, that this particular pill-bottle has finally been given a use. But, I feel like the Dexamphetamine effects should be either reduced to 25% of the timed effect, and/or reduced to 15-20 pills in a bottle, or completely remove the feature all together.

Here's the issues with the effects of these medications. There's no down-side (cons), no withdrawal symptoms or risk of life when taken repeatedly. Not only that, a player can literally carry a mountain backpack filled with 50 kilograms of mined rocks, and still be able to compete in a race with someone who has nothing but the shirt on their back. Towards the end of the race, sure the guy with nothing could finish the race, as he will have a full stamina bar once the effects wear off, but that's besides the point.

The stamina meter becomes practically obsolete to anyone walking around with these pill bottles. I for one, have carried up to 6 bottles of these at a time, just so I can travel from point A to point B with supplies, such as 10 plate-carriers for trade, in a fraction of the time it use to be on foot.

Edited by CamoRP
Poll added.

fucking druggies right

I only recently got my hands on Dexa-methandcocaine pills and they are broken right off the bat, these little containers have 50 of these cocaine pills that give you infinite stamina for a short period of time while Epi-pens give you the same thing and are a one time use so it dont make sense these exist and at the amount i've been seeing them as of lately. 

reduce how many come in a bottle down to 20 or nerf them 

Posted (edited)

Historically amphetamines have been used by soldiers to stay awake and move extremely long distances without getting tired so if were thinking about "absolute realism" there is nothing wrong with it and the amount of pills in the bottle isnt unrealistic either. If something, the effects should actually last way longer. But since its a game and we need to think about balancing too, what about decreasing the spawn rate drastically and making the item super rare.

Edited by Osku

Keep the pills how they are, no need to change them. 

Until vehicles, or specifically bicycles, are a vital and functional thing in this game I believe a "cheat" mechanic like this is a necessary evil. I voted for it to stay, for now.

The effect could be the same, if it could be made so that water and food meters go down faster. When you take damn amphetamine, your body goes into overdrive, and starts burning energy really fast. So, food and hunger meters should go down faster. It could be a good downside to this, if it could be made to work?

1 hour ago, Isaiah CortezPVE said:

When you take damn amphetamine, your body goes into overdrive, and starts burning energy really fast. So, food and hunger meters should go down faster.

Wouldn't make much sense considering amphetamine specifically removes the feeling of hunger

Oh... so that's why people keep asking me for dex ingame. Mostly hostile groups too.. I can see how this is a problem.

Posted (edited)

Personally? I think that spamming their usage should be a lot more detrimental to the health considering the dosage we're talking about here. Abusing any substance should come with side effects and currently Dex has the relatively benign effect of making you slightly ill after taking them, on occasion. 

It should be an evident calculation of how much you're willing to screw your personal health over to push your body as far as it can go. Reserved for escapes or pushes into hostile territories, but certainly not left to be as abusable as it is now regardless of poll results. 

Edited by Baron

Posted (edited)

Keep it, no reason to change it they are hard to find and walking stimulator 2019 becomes bearable.

Edited by Eagle

Recently travelled across the map in a diagonal line and I spent maybe around 20-30 pills being at near constant sprint the entire time.

@Kerkkoh love the item, but it turns us into super heroes, perhaps the pill dosage should be lowered to 10.

Can we not have people overdose?

Example:

Take ten in a row and they get knocked out and lose 50% HP or smth like that

Nerf amphetamines,

Increase stamina to 2x so i'm not an asthmatic sea lion on a gravel driveway.

Yeah... let me chip in as someone who has actually done stimulants and then proceeded to engage in hard physical exertion.

For about 4 hours I literally dual-wielded weed-eaters, and did more work than the other 3 people.  Come lunch break, I needed to take a nap.  I ended up passed out for the rest of the day, and had several weeks off work due to muscle damage in the shoulders.

Yes, you can push yourself far past your limits, but you are racking up an IoU that is far more detrimental than beneficial.  Think of it like you get twice as much done, but take 4x as long to recover than you would have if you'd done it without.

Also, you cannot just "stay high" 24/7.  Your body only has so much fuel to burn, and can only replace it so quickly.  You will crash, and subsequent doses will be less and less effective, and attempting to continue to push past the point of collapse will kill you.

33 minutes ago, ISWidowMaker said:

Yeah... let me chip in as someone who has actually done stimulants and then proceeded to engage in hard physical exertion.

For about 4 hours I literally dual-wielded weed-eaters, and did more work than the other 3 people.  Come lunch break, I needed to take a nap.  I ended up passed out for the rest of the day, and had several weeks off work due to muscle damage in the shoulders.

Yes, you can push yourself far past your limits, but you are racking up an IoU that is far more detrimental than beneficial.  Think of it like you get twice as much done, but take 4x as long to recover than you would have if you'd done it without.

Also, you cannot just "stay high" 24/7.  Your body only has so much fuel to burn, and can only replace it so quickly.  You will crash, and subsequent doses will be less and less effective, and attempting to continue to push past the point of collapse will kill you.

This is a video game nothing even close to that realism can be done.

35 minutes ago, APositivePara said:

Nerf amphetamines,

Increase stamina to 2x so i'm not an asthmatic sea lion on a gravel driveway.

Double stamina has been asked for multiple times but they wish to force us to take 30 minutes getting to hubs or more, this item allows you to run without the dumb restriction of the stamina and since the point of an RP server is to get to point of interactions why does it need nerfing?

5 minutes ago, Eagle said:

This is a video game nothing even close to that realism can be done.

Double stamina has been asked for multiple times but they wish to force us to take 30 minutes getting to hubs or more, this item allows you to run without the dumb restriction of the stamina and since the point of an RP server is to get to point of interactions why does it need nerfing?

My issue with dex is for fights, shit's too powerful against those that don't have it. Could argue that's the point of the item but I personally don't think a huge advantage should be given simply due to having an item in game that the other side doesn't have and can sometimes be difficult to find. I'm fine with dex being in the game bc of the current stamina level don't get me wrong, it fixes a problem like you said. Guess my view is just remove the issue causing the problem in the first place and turn dex into more of a luxury rather than a necessity, if you see what I mean? 

Posted (edited)

I feel the best solution would be as @Isaiah CortezPVE proposed earlier (if that's possible to do), increase the rate at which hunger and thirst decline while keeping the temporary stamina boost that comes with it. That way at least it'll have somekind of consequence instead of it just being a flat buff.

While I agree that the stamina bar is set a tad low and can see how people are adverse to having to spend more time traversing the map to find their RP(vP) due to the limitations put on stamina, I feel that from a game mechanics point of view this item is simply unbalanced. There is no downside and unless people are willing to put in the effort to start roleplaying the consequences of overdosing on amphetamines, suffering side-effects or coming down from having used them (which I'm betting not many people are currently doing nor will they start doing so), having a game mechanic in place to act as consequence for using a drug is a fair deal to balance the item.

Edited by Kenyi

I personally just hate running in the game, it's fucking terrible, the vehicles in the game are ass, there are no bicycles or anything else that we would realistically have (not to mention how huge the map is and how idiotic it feels to try to find some people to rp with by walking around the 15x15 plain of nothingness). I think the pills bring good balance in terms of that, but I'm aware of the other issues it might pose, like the advantage in fist fights etc., but that's just people fighting on amphetamines.

Once we get around to it, we'll prolly make it so that if you pop too many pills in a short time, you're going to get a heart attack, as you'd realistically do (and we can consider other adverse effects), but for now, it seems like most of the community is fine with them. Though, I'd agree with making them more scarcely available.

TL;DR: Fuck running. No, amphetamines shouldn't make you a supersoldier, they will have adverse effects in the future.

45 minutes ago, Kerkkoh said:

I'd agree with making them more scarcely available.

I can definitely get behind that although I dislike them in the long run, but making them rarer will definitely be a lot more balanced.

If it’s made that you drop dead or fall uncon with low health after slamming a few too many that’d be a perfect balance honestly.

Maybe after a few pills you would get the cannibal twitch, then next stage you would start loosing 1/5th of your health per pill. So if you keep taking too many you would loose health and eventually be slowed down by health loss and then death, if you don't stop taking them and running on them. 

Keep them exactly how it is right now, we need compensation for the shoe mechanics.

This is why I was against adding any effects to medications that didn't get rid of sickness. As evidenced by some above the drugs are just being abused for their effects instead for RP reasons.

The tablets have a consequence if you use them continuously you run the possibility of sickness as I’ve experienced a few time and so have others not to mention the effect the use has on food and water I feel like they are fine possibly change the amount from 50 to 20 

On 8/13/2019 at 10:35 PM, Zero said:

This is why I was against adding any effects to medications that didn't get rid of sickness. As evidenced by some above the drugs are just being abused for their effects instead for RP reasons.

And whats wrong with that?