Server time (UTC): 2019-11-13, 13:32
Sign in to follow this  
ApocalypseHero4

Building Bases?

So, I apologize if I am just plain blind and haven't seen it but I haven't seen anything regarding when it is acceptable to build and where to build a base?  Is it okay to build wherever and whenever I want?  What are the rules on raiding and etc?  I apparently have missed something.  This is after reading and re-reading the rules several times mind you.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is time to begin building the base of my dreams

I just assume you keep bases realistic and can build basically wherever. Frequent places equals bigger chance of being raided, ergo hidden bases are more convenient.

I am talking about maybe one little base for a personal use and then maybe a larger base to turn into like a settlement.  I do plan to bring a group to life eventually.  For now I am just biding my time and enjoying being back at the RP

What are the rules regarding base building and raiding though?

Posted (edited)

There's currently no rules regarding base building, other than using common sense.

Anything that may appear to be an Abuse of Game Mechanics (AOGM) is likely doing so.

In regards to raiding, same concepts apply when gaining kill rights. If someone is actively trying to break into your home, while you're present, and they're aware of your presence. You may kill them. Just don't go and gun down anything you see, when you login one-day and someone's standing over your stash. You'll have to initiate accordingly, as you don't know if your base was accessible (unlocked) prior to the particular individual entering. For all they know, it was an abandoned base, and they didn't know any better, especially when another individual unrelated had broken in earlier. 

When you kill a player, everything leading up to that point, regarding all hostile actions (or intent) should be have been clear and unambiguous to all involved players. 

There are some rules regarding traps, but again, same goes for kill rights... If you have a trap you'd like to setup, it must be placed inside a secure base. Anything outside a base would likely be considered an Invalid Kill.

One thing you'll learn in this community is, if you use common sense you'll likely be okay. Most of the rules are pretty clear cut, there's a few gray areas here and there that use to be covered back then, but in order for new players to easily understand the rules, they were made less detailed and more straightforward. A report is generally how a verdict is handled. You can learn from those, and you can always ask or read up on questions answered by the staff team.

Here's some quotes from El Presidente himself.

On 3/10/2018 at 11:21 AM, Roland said:

Any time someone steals anything from you when you are around, you can kill them. Stealing is considered a hostile action, just as if someone initiated on you.

So, when someone steals from you on purpose, with knowledge that the item is someone elses and the owner is around, you can kill. You can also initiate etc if you want to RP of course :) 

However it doesn't work when there can be doubt that the person stealing is not doing it on purpose. For example if you are away from your tents, nobody is around and someone stumbles upon them and takes something and you kill them from 200m with a sniper because "they are stealing from you". Then you can only initiate, or just ask the person nicely to put back the things because the tents are yours..

On 6/3/2019 at 2:42 AM, Roland said:

I've got a question then @Roland , what in the situation when im guarding a base from a distance, using sniper rifle while staying on some sort of a tower, place from I can see the entire base and it's surrounding, if someone will begin to break wall or combo lack can I shoot him right away or do I still have to initiate using for example megaphone?

Ps: Speaking of situation in base does not look like abandoned/not used.

I literally wrote above that kill rights over distance are a no go 😄 You have to initiate. Base looks have nothing to do with it.

In your opinion, does this include if someone breaks down walls and locks to get to the loot?

Obviously I would want to RP rather than KOS, but if they break into a locked area, steal loot/cars etc, then run/drive off where shotting is the only option, would that constitute a rule break? 

Yes, it includes taking down a wall or locks, it's no different - they may be trying to gain access because the base may have been abandoned since there's nobody nearby.

Yes, it would be an invalid kill (on sight) if you shoot someone without an initiation.

To keep it fair play and avoid abuse of kill rights for baiting situations, the only stealing that is considered a hostile action and thus grants kill rights is the one that happens when the owner of the item is around and his presence is known to the thief. Here's a few examples that should make it pretty clear:

Grants kill rights:

• A group is inside their base and casually RPing. Someone sneaks by them and jumps into a car and attempts to drive off
  • You drop an item on the ground, someone runs up to you, quickly picks up the item and runs away

Does NOT grant kill rights

• A group is silently sitting hidden inside their base, waiting for either ambush or enemy to come by. Some random stumbles by and starts opening the gate or takes things from stashes
  • You drop an item on the ground, but suddenly have to go to the other side of town to help a friend. When you return the item is gone and you see a person in the distance running away with it

On 6/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, Roland said:

If you're outside of communication range from your stuff, how is someone supposed to know that the stuff belongs to you and is actively used. We have plenty of abandoned and unguarded bases around that people scavenge for loot without intentionally meaning to steal from.

If you don't want your things to be stolen, guard them. Granting kill rights over distance because someone took stuff you wasn't guarding will only increase miss-ID and baiting possibilities, so that's a no go for me.

Baiting is provoking others, being a smart ass, being stubborn for no reason, loud and disturbing, refusing to leave and similar annoying and aggravating behaviors to try and provoke an initiation. Usually this behavior comes bundled with a firing squad hidden nearby that is just waiting for an initiation to happen in order to drop people.

Baiting can also be leaving valuable items like bases, tents, cars or weapons out in the open, hiding somewhere nearby, waiting until someone stumbles upon them and takes them, then killing them for "stealing".

That's pretty much how it always has been.

I don't really get into the comparing two reports thingy, every situation is unique and I'm sure there was a very good reason why they had two different outcomes.

Edited by CamoRP

Yeah, I knew the trap rules.  I just wasn't too sure about building it's self or raiding...etc.  So, anyone, can pretty much raid your base at any time?  Even with no hostile action towards you or them in any way and even if you're not online?  Not that I have a problem with that (although, I feel this could be done better).  It's just I want to be clear before going about my work.  Also, no worries there.  I would never blatantly or even remotely come close to abusing the game mechanics or anything like that.  If I am questioning it....it isn't happening until I get clarity on it.

Bases can be built almost everywhere but must be built realistically.

You cannot build in a way that will stop other members gaining access to high loot areas. So for instance you cannot build around the NWAF to claim all military loot for yourself

Posted (edited)

--- So, anyone, can pretty much raid your base at any time?  Even with no hostile action towards you or them in any way and even if you're not online? ---

Yes.

With very few exceptions. Those exceptions would likely already fall within the current rules.

Edited by CamoRP

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Bases can be built almost everywhere but must be built realistically.

You cannot build in a way that will stop other members gaining access to high loot areas. So for instance you cannot build around the NWAF to claim all military loot for yourself

I mean, I would consider that "common sense", but maybe not.

---

To add on to what Voodoo said, you shouldn't be building at a military area, just for the sake of blocking it off, to hoard the loot to yourself, or prevent others from gaining access to it.

The base location should have some form of significance to you and/or your group. Such as back in 2017, the VDV, being the lore group it was, blocked off the firehouse (0.62) at the NWAF as their place of headquarters. This was considered acceptable. 

There was an occasion back in February 2019, where another group (I think the Saviors?) blocked off one of the bunkers at NWAF, (when they moved from Novaya Petrovka), I would say this was also acceptable considering the lore-related significance at then time, with Novaya Petrovka having a server-wide event, with russians bombing the town of Tisy and places nearby. They needed to relocate quickly. A bunker seemed logical considering the circumstances.

Edited by CamoRP

I wouldn't waste your time right now. You'll be lucky if they don't despawn, get griefed, or just generally getting fucked. If you do something make it simple and learn up on how to avoid getting DayZ'ed. 

Like the others have said, you can build anywhere aslong as you don't prevent people from getting to high tier loot.

Just use your common sense in what you build, and you will be fine.

A bit of advice, don't start out by building in hot spots, get the hang of how the building system works first, and then move on from there. A guarantee is that it will get raided, so don't get too attached to it.