Server time (UTC): 2019-10-22, 17:35
Sign in to follow this  
Worldclass

New Raiding bases rule

Should people be allowed to raid a base if they never had any hostilities with that base before?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems like it is a problem recently for newer people to the server or even older people getting there bases raided without even interacting with other people.Do you guys think you should have hostile interactions with that group before they can raid your camp.Now theirs a difference between attacking people and raiding bases but there should be something implemented to protect newer people to the server from being raided and have all there items stolen in there first night on the server.What do you guys think? 

If you want a base and don't want it attacked/raided then hide it. People will always be drawn to loot and getting the sweet stuff!

There is absolutely no way that this could be enforced. Us Game Masters would have to go through months of logs to see if they did indeed have hostilities and then check for logs of breaking in, which are already a pain to get may I add.

This keeps getting brought up and it's just not going to happen. If you cant hide/defend your stuff then 🤷‍♀️ tough.

Raids will happen. Theres no way to enforce this as Saunders said and honestly it's ridiculous to suggest it at this point, how would this work? How would you prove it? Raiding is part of the server. It would happen in real life, people desperate for supplies.

Hide your stuff better 🤷‍♀️

(Spoken as my personal opinion and not on behalf of staff) 

Posted (edited)

I think RP needs to be enforced more heavily in base raiding. Most base raiding is either for PvP or "gear RP" (Bad RP). These needs to stop. Offline raiding is one thing. I have no issue with that. But the raiding going on now, I feel is starting to getting out of hand.

Especially for new players. I have more to say on this topic but that's all I'll day for now. 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

54 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

I think RP needs to be enforced more heavily in base raiding. Most base raiding is either for PvP or "gear RP" (Bad RP). These needs to stop. Offline raiding is one thing. I have no issue with that.

Now I don't know what experiences you obviously get, but isn't offline raiding (that you seem fine with) the epitome of gear RP or depending on how you look at it, even a bit of bad RP? There's no players there, no meaningful interaction between hostile or opposed groups, it's just a break in under easier conditions ... to steal shit. There might be exceptions to this, but I'd argue many or most cases of this have to do with 'easy lootboxes' rather than hard conflicts between groups.

--------------------------------------

Either way, to reply to the OP, the best course of action you have to deal with is: Don't cling to your base or what you store in it too much. Get rid of the gear mentality, consider anything you store in a visibly identifiable base as potentially written off or excess loot people will eventually get to somehow. You can add rules in place that lower the amount of random hostile interactions towards camps not based on any prior conflict, but then you can just come up with a reason ("we need / want your shit") and you still have to deal with offline raiding.

It's either "make more defined attack rules on camps" AND "make offline-raiding forbidden and punishable", or it's "consider your stored gear written off".

Alternatively: Hide it well in the woods or where people likely won't look.

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

There is absolutely no way that this could be enforced. Us Game Masters would have to go through months of logs to see if they did indeed have hostilities and then check for logs of breaking in, which are already a pain to get may I add.

After my most recent experiences with being on the giving end of this, i just see how it's impossible for the staff members to serve justice for this, unless they are willing to go in full time looking at logs, and as @Saunders said, it's a hassle to get a hold of them, and it takes a long time.

So in short, i don't think the staff team should waste their time punishing people for taking gear.     -1

2 hours ago, Combine said:

Now I don't know what experiences you obviously get, but isn't offline raiding (that you seem fine with) the epitome of gear RP or depending on how you look at it, even a bit of bad RP? There's no players there, no meaningful interaction between hostile or opposed groups, it's just a break in under easier conditions ... to steal shit. There might be exceptions to this, but I'd argue many or most cases of this have to do with 'easy lootboxes' rather than hard conflicts between groups.

--------------------------------------

Either way, to reply to the OP, the best course of action you have to deal with is: Don't cling to your base or what you store in it too much. Get rid of the gear mentality, consider anything you store in a visibly identifiable base as potentially written off or excess loot people will eventually get to somehow. You can add rules in place that lower the amount of random hostile interactions towards camps not based on any prior conflict, but then you can just come up with a reason ("we need / want your shit") and you still have to deal with offline raiding.

It's either "make more defined attack rules on camps" AND "make offline-raiding forbidden and punishable", or it's "consider your stored gear written off".

Alternatively: Hide it well in the woods or where people likely won't look.

It makes sense to raid people offline. It's safer and smarter. It's realistic. Simply going up to a group that is home and just wanting PvP and Gear is bad RP. 

And to answer your question, I've been a newbie with a small base and got raided and lost everything including the walls. I've been in a big group and got attacked many times and no RP came from it. Just half ass RP so the Raiders can PvP and steal gear when the attackers had better gear than us. We even got raided through betrayal. So I know what I'm talking about. 

All I'm asking is better RP in raids. To me, it's what this thread is trying to accomplish. Bring more RP to raiding. 

I think a rule that should be introduced with base building is if someone starts to break/boost into your base you should gain kill rights as they’re committing a hostile action but hostilities being tracked in an ideal world it would make sense and work but in reality it’s so hard to police hostilities maybe a gained from other telling stories or them just being bandit types that are constantly after supplies and equipment you could never police it 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

It makes sense to raid people offline.

I look at it from this perspective. It's a (home) base, right? Players can't play the game 24/7 - literally. But our characters remain in the world. So technically, they'd sleep in the base or also could be there when you don't play. This obviously can't be really represented, but my point from an IC perspective is, just because the player isn't there wouldn't always mean factions leave their bases IC all the time. If it were realistic, you'd expect people to be in a base if it's big enough as the group would likely always have someone there. Yet you (to those it concerns) actively rely on timezones to raid people when they can't play. That's kinda worse from an mixed IC / OOC perspective, but maybe that's just me.

But maybe that's perhaps another topic of sorts.

16 minutes ago, Elijah Johnson said:

I think a rule that should be introduced with base building is if someone starts to break/boost into your base you should gain kill rights as they’re committing a hostile action but hostilities being tracked in an ideal world it would make sense and work but in reality it’s so hard to police hostilities maybe a gained from other telling stories or them just being bandit types that are constantly after supplies and equipment you could never police it 

I wouldn't mind the possibility to KOS intruders who are clearly intruding into a clearly marked or blocked off base actively, would keep people on their toes. Doesn't mean you should always KOS anyone breaking in depending on the circumstances but the element of surprise on your side via KOS rights sounds handy from the perspective of base owners. Again, this is about clearly marked and blocked off (thus apparent) bases, not someone putting a tent on the road of some town to bait people or so and then claim "Well that tent is my base, so..."

This potential rule would need specific wording and more of course to make it relatively foolproof, but I don't necessarily see anything speaking against this. If you just run up to a base with possible hostile intent and people are at home, KOS shouldn't automatically apply. If you are inside and someone is clearly breaking in with or without being aware of you, as soon as they enter the marked or blocked off premises, I can see KOS rights on the defending side work. In essence, for attacks normal rules would apply but if you clearly break in and depending on the circumstances I feel it would be fine to not always have to drop an initiation as defender and possibly give yourself away either by presence or location-wise in a base. You break in somewhere you shouldn't be, you bear the risks.

People will argue in favor or against this. In my mind, I can see it work out. When in doubt, simply give it a trial phase and test it.

Edited by Combine

In order for the loot economy to remain healthy, it requires someone to break in while offline and steal the 30 rifles you are hoarding.

I voted no.

No bases are already op as fuck no need to give them special rules.

6 hours ago, Elijah Johnson said:

If you see someone trying to vault over your walls or start trying to get inside in some way, you should be able to KOS them. 

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

In order for the loot economy to remain healthy, it requires someone to break in while offline and steal the 30 rifles you are hoarding.

I voted no.

Voting no means you have to have prior hostilities in order to raid a base, if I understand correctly...

2 hours ago, Conor said:

Voting no means you have to have prior hostilities in order to raid a base, if I understand correctly...

Yikes, you are correct there.

Jokes on me for reading the thread but not the actual posed question in the poll.

7 hours ago, Ducky said:

Completely agree with this.

Let me make something clear

A base is not a safe place. You cannot just go and make a base hoping that it's a safe little bubble where you can horde your stuff. People are allowed to break into your base and steal whatever you are hoarding. 

15 hours ago, Saunders said:

Also this. Besides people not using the correct ingame timestamps (and using their timezones instead) to indiciate when a rulebreak happened, and us having to look through hours of logs, this would be the tip of the iceberg. We can't do it. Period.

Me: Builds a base but never initiates on anybody. 

Other party: can never raid my base.

Hoarding becomes unstoppable, cannot be beaten. The amount of shit I see people hoarding but they rarely get around to using is crazy. I voted yes to your question.

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

If you want a base and don't want it attacked/raided then hide it. People will always be drawn to loot and getting the sweet stuff!

This

I really don't see the point in making a base unless its a RP hub and you are prepared for the gear to be taken. Best thing to do if you don't want stuff taken is hide it in the woods with no walls.

Walls = possible loot that is needed

Just now, APositivePara said:

Me: Builds a base but never initiates on anybody. 

Other party: can never raid my base.

Hoarding becomes unstoppable, cannot be beaten. The amount of shit I see people hoarding but they rarely get around to using is crazy. I voted yes to your question.

Exactly. There need to be raids as long as there's people creating bases and hoarding gear.

I may be considered a "CampfireRPer" by most, but even I voted Yes. Why? Because it's an apocalyptic environment. If you can be robbed randomly while walking down the street, why wouldn't it be logical that a group of raiders, come and attack you (Initiate first, obviously.)?

Accidentally voted 'No'.

This is just another way for people to hoard gear - bad for the loot economy.

Also, if you have nice shit in your camp, I'll take your shit, this is a post-apocalyptic world after all

My opinion is about raiding when the base owners are offline. I'd enjoy being raided while I'm there and having the fun RP that would come along with it. Bases are easy as hell to raid, and IRL if there's a base with people sleeping in it, the people would wake up during the raid. Now I get that its a game, but when all it takes is 5 minutes and a handsaw to steal what people spent hours & hours finding it gets frustrating. I don't think you shouldn't be able to raid someone you don't have past conflict with, but I think some type of RP with the OP should need to happen. But also like said before, this would be difficult to enforce in certain cases.

3 hours ago, ImNovaaa said:

My opinion is about raiding when the base owners are offline. I'd enjoy being raided while I'm there and having the fun RP that would come along with it. Bases are easy as hell to raid, and IRL if there's a base with people sleeping in it, the people would wake up during the raid. Now I get that its a game, but when all it takes is 5 minutes and a handsaw to steal what people spent hours & hours finding it gets frustrating. I don't think you shouldn't be able to raid someone you don't have past conflict with, but I think some type of RP with the OP should need to happen. But also like said before, this would be difficult to enforce in certain cases.

As mentioned previously in this thread it's a necessary evil to make sure loot flows. There is so much hoarding going on.

1 hour ago, Hofer said:

As mentioned previously in this thread it's a necessary evil to make sure loot flows. There is so much hoarding going on.

I couldnt agree with you more. Trade is another great way of keeping loot on the flow. We need trading. Trade posts that can be a socially accepted neutral ground. (Not server rule but just IC understanding) like a large trade group. A Federation of traders... For Chernarus... hmmm...