Server time (UTC): 2019-09-21, 14:14
Sign in to follow this  
G19RP

NLR Suggestion

Change the rule?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Hello, I think it would be a lot nicer for everyone if we change the rule wording to "cant return to the area until an hour after the situation that led to your death" instead of "You also cannot get involved in the same situation that lead to your death, even if it has moved to a different location or 1 hour has passed.", keyword "or". So, final rule change would be as follows

"You may not return to the general location where you died for at least 1 hour after the situation ends. Situation is considered the same as long as any side has active kill rights. Server restarts, crashes or other OOC events do not affect these restrictions or time limit."

This would get rid of the weird grey area and help move the rule toward  a more cut and dry direction.

EDIT: Keep in mind, that this is just the rewording of a part of the rule, the rest of the rule would stay the same. Rickets has explained it very well in his post, this change works as follows.

OLD

- You die in firefight X

- You have waited your one hour timer and the "situation" has ended entirely

- It has been 2 minutes since the "situation" has ended, you can (by the rules) go back and do whatever it is you are there to do.

NEW

- You die in firefight X

- You have waited your one hour timer and the "situation" has ended entirely

- You must now wait an additional one hour after the situation has officially ended to return to the area.

This change doesn't allow anyone to return or anything along those lines, it further prevents it from happening AT ALL.

Edited by G19RP

definitely an easy change that wouldnt really change much except cover up a sketchy grey area.

Posted (edited)

If the situation changes location. You shouldn't be allowed where that situation now is. Like a moving NLR zone. It's like, you die so your mates run to a different location but same situation, you can just run there and rejoin the combat because it's a different location. So I think the current rule is fine.

Edited by Xtreme

Posted (edited)

Maybe just change it to you cannot get involved for 1 hour in case the fight moved, because RP wise you can just get a quick radio message telling where the fight is. Just like you would tell a group member that is miles away a fight is going on.

Edit:

And keep the rule as it is, just with this addition.

Edited by JobScholten

I'm going to say no on this one,

It is my opinion that the new life rule is supposed to keep people from rejoining the same gunfights/situations. Even if it moves, which frequently happens when things draw on for a while. If you died and your group continues the fight you should not be rejoining it. It makes zero roleplay sense for the other side to be killing the same player more then once in the same situation, that functionally defeats the purpose of the NLR, and this server has had more then a few fights draw on for longer then a single hour.

Posted (edited)

I got confused with my vote. I interpreted it similar to Rover. Ie you cant die then join the same fight even after an hour has passed, even if it moves. Its simple really – you died, you cant run back for another go. This will stop fights dragging on for hours on end with the same people getting killed over and over.

just my opinion of course!

Edited by andysuter

Posted (edited)

raise the timer uo to 6h

Edited by Q-ChilliDivision

Also needs a 1km radius general location makes it too vague. If I died in cherno industrial can I go back to cherno church for instance

7 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Also needs a 1km radius general location makes it too vague. If I died in cherno industrial can I go back to cherno church for instance

THIS! Everyone always forgets about this. The 1km thing was ALWAYS used back in the day, instead of "general area"
What is the general area? 1km makes it a lot more easy to understand.

Posted (edited)

I think instead of just switching it over, keep it to the: 

"You cannot get involved in the scuffle relating to your death no matter where it has moved. You may also not return 1 km of your death for 1 hour after active kill rights have diminished."

I don't like taking out returning to the fight even if it moved, because your allies can just bait the fight to move and then you can just join right back in. This would also make it realistic as in, well in real life, you would have died in that battle. that would have been the end of your presence on that battlefield.

Edited by Musty Cheeto

Posted (edited)

@Rover That’s what I’m suggesting, you can’t return to the same situation you died in, no matter the location, etc., until 1 hour after the situation itself has ended. This prevents people from returning and making new situations minutes after the previous one ends. I believe you misread my suggestion.

Also, not suggesting we remove anything, I didn’t put it in the revamped rule because it should stay the same, I only put the part in that I think should be changed.

Edited by G19RP

12 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

3 minutes ago, Musty Cheeto said:

"You cannot get involved in the scuffle relating to your death no matter where it has moved. You may also not return 1 km of your death for 1 hour after active kill rights have diminished."

This is the solution. Returning to an area a few minutes after a firefight has ended just because your personal timer had ended makes no sense. I second these suggestions, and could stand behind the wording by @Musty Cheeto.

The only issue I can see with this is that in some cases people won't be aware when the situation ends. They will go back to the same location because it's been over an hour and as it turns out the fight only stopped 40 minutes ago so now they are breaking a rule.

1 minute ago, G19RP said:

@Rover That’s what I’m suggesting, you can’t return to the same situation you died in, no matter the location, etc., until 1 hour after the situation itself has ended. This prevents people from returning and making new situations minutes after the previous one ends. I believe you misread my suggestion.

Also, not suggesting we remove anything, I didn’t put it in the revamped rule because it should stay the same, I only put the part in that I think should be changed.

*pulls out ye olde reading glasses* 

Oh, haven't had my coffee and its early. I thought your suggestion was to change the timer from an hour after death to an hour after the situation ended, but remove the section about if the firefights moves.

I can get behind that suggestion then! 

Seems like the most logical thing, and how the rule should have been from the beginning.

If you're in a raid that lasts 4 hours, and people you've shot just return - kinda ruins the immersion that is being thrown into those long firefights, and will ultimately prolong them hours aswell. 

+1

just dont return.
unless its your own base you have no bussiness there.
you cant remember what happended and it messes everyhing up.
try again the next day or something.

No, because it would allow people to get involved in the same firefight they died in as long as it moved somewhere else, resulting in an endless stream of neverending clone reinforcements.

TFW no one is reading the OP properly.

1 hour ago, G19RP said:

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

No, because it would allow people to get involved in the same firefight they died in as long as it moved somewhere else, resulting in an endless stream of neverending clone reinforcements.

To explain this rule change a little further from what I understand the current rule would not change too much.

You die in firefight X and it lasts another 5 hours but since you have technically waited your own NLR timer and the situation is over and rights are diminished due to one side wiping the other you are perfectly fine to return however, with the implementation of this new rule you would have to wait another hour before returning to the general location once the firefight has and hostilities have ended.

So to summarize you were killed in a fight that lasted 5 hours but at the moment you can linger in the area from 1 hour after your death and wait for it to end. This new rule change makes it so that you cannot be in the general area till one hour AFTER hostilities have ended so in the situation mentioned above instead of remaining in the area after that 1 hour has past you would have to wait 6 hours in total from your death to return. If anyone needs this simplifying even more @ me. 

Apparently I can't read. I quit.

1 hour is too short. As previously explained it creates grey areas and I'd imagine some awkward RP.  2 hour timer, with a 2k radius.  

Also flipped spawns would be nice.  Eg if you die in Electro you spawn up north, and vice versa.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Crim said:

1 hour is too short. As previously explained it creates grey areas and I'd imagine some awkward RP.  2 hour timer, with a 2k radius.  

Also flipped spawns would be nice.  Eg if you die in Electro you spawn up north, and vice versa.  

So one hour after a for example 5 hour fight totaling in 6 hours is too short? The rule at present states 1 hour after dying so whats the issue?

Edited by General Rickets

4 minutes ago, General Rickets said:

So one hour after a for example 5 hour fight totaling in 6 hours is too short? The rule at present states 1 hour after dying so whats the issue?

Personally, returning is the issue.  But this rule defo needs to change.  It's not realistic.  

1 minute ago, Crim said:

Personally, returning is the issue.  But this rule defo needs to change.  It's not realistic.  

One hour after death causes problems.

One hour after the situation has ended does resolve those problems. People should err on the side of caution (much like combat logging) to ensure the situation was actually over.

3 minutes ago, Crim said:

Why is returning after the situation over an issue?

1 minute ago, Rover said:

One hour after death causes problems.

One hour after the situation has ended does resolve those problems. People should err on the side of caution (much like combat logging) to ensure the situation was actually over.

Did I clear up any misconceptions?

Yes it makes sense 

It would make the NLR more clear and easier to understand 

+1