Server time (UTC): 2019-11-19, 06:34
Sign in to follow this  
ImNovaaa

Waking up asleep people.

I find it very odd that my group can walk into a ghost town, and talk to one member of the WolfPack (this isn't a questioned aimed towards any group specifically, just a recent example as it has happened before) and then suddenly at least 5 members wake up. Also a whole other group that was sleeping just wakes up as well and immediately engages my friends/group. Anyways my question is, why can people wake others up in the event of an hostile act (we were cutting their code lock and having words with the OP, then initiated on) in order to get numbers out of the blue? Part of me would even understand if said person walked around telling people to wake up and then they wake up, but how does it make sense that the OP can be completely silent in regards of talking to any of their own members & then poof all of these people wake up already knowing exactly what was going on as if they were spoken to in their dreams. If doing so is okay then so be it, but to me and many others I'm sure; it makes no sense how an asleep person can be woken up with full knowledge of the situation at hand, and even shooting VERY shortly after waking up. 

Posted (edited)

I agree that waking up and having knowledge of the event could be considered metagaming. BUT just waking up is not. Due to the fact that, if someone is trying to break into my base, I will hear the commotion and wake up. Or I will hear people talking then wake up, So that aspect would make sense.

Edited by Descendants

Well if I am talking to you ingame and I happen to be hotmicing the whole conversation onto discord and my guys decide to log on, that's not metagaming. How do you know they weren't doing that? 

2 minutes ago, Descendants said:

I agree that waking up and having knowledge of the event could be considered metagaming. BUT just waking up is not. Due to the fact that, if someone is trying to break into my base, I will hear the commotion and wake up. Or I will hear people talking then wake up, So that aspect would make sense.

See I have thought about it like that as well. So I agree in that regard, its just when they wake up knowing whats going on, not logging in and asking "hey whats going on??!" and then proceeding once they have said information of the hostile interaction.

Well you do realize that if this was to be made a rule, you can just wait until people log off and then raid their base, since they would be unable to log back in you would be safe to take everything since you could just report them for logging in.

Seems dumb to me 

1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Well if I am talking to you ingame and I happen to be hotmicing the whole conversation onto discord and my guys decide to log on, that's not metagaming. How do you know they weren't doing that?

They were doing that, so whats confusing is if they are not logged in, they are considered asleep correct? So is it not speaking to someone in their "dreams"?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

How does one listen to the radio when they are "asleep"?

Before you mention it, the radio chatter thread is different. 

Edited by Descendants

Just now, ImNovaaa said:

They were doing that, so whats confusing is if they are not logged in, they are considered asleep correct? So is it not speaking to someone in their "dreams"?

Not really. Saying they are "asleep" is just a better term to use ingame than obviously saying they're not ingame. They could just say they're not around. People just tend to use different words for it. You don't have to be sleeping, you could just be resting somewhere instead.

Just now, NozzyRP said:

Well you do realize that if this was to be made a rule, you can just wait until people log off and then raid their base, since they would be unable to log back in you would be safe to take everything since you could just report them for logging in.

Its not at all about "hey you cant log in". But how does someone get knowledge whilst asleep, do we just say we talked to them in their dreams? If they wake up and even just get a brief, "hey these people were trying to break in" it would be fine in my opinion.

Just now, Phoenix said:

Not really. Saying they are "asleep" is just a better term to use ingame than obviously saying they're not ingame. They could just say they're not around. People just tend to use different words for it. You don't have to be sleeping, you could just be resting somewhere instead.

Honestly though,  in this situation wouldn't it be considered ghosting? Since hacking up a code lock is considered a hostile action? KAWALSKI ANALYSIS!

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

But when four people poof out of nowhere and they don't ask anything other than for me to put my hands up its a rather "wtf" moment. I completely understand if someone was walking around where I sleep and breaking in I would wake up. But i'd ask someone what was happening first, I would already know who is here, why they are here, and that I should initiate on them.

1 minute ago, Descendants said:

Honestly though,  in this situation wouldn't it be considered ghosting? Since hacking up a code lock is considered a hostile action? KAWALSKI ANALYSIS!

Nope. Not ghosting. Already been establish by the big man.

1 minute ago, Descendants said:

I almost feel that if this is okay for people to do, it could lead to serious baiting. Say I tell everyone in my group to go to sleep, and wake up when they are in our walls and we can surround them, giving the impression that its a ghost town at the moment, and so they proceed to enter said town. Is that not somewhat baiting? If everyone was just hiding in buildings awake, and ready to pop out it'd make sense, but we checked the entire town (buildings, alleys, sheds, etc.) & no one was around. Then 5 minutes later the town is full and the server pop went up by almost 20 people.

Posted (edited)

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but there are some rules that state you can't transmitt or receive any in game information "unless double micing in game" and if your character has access to there inventory... Not being actively upon the server would seem AT that current moment you can't just tell all your friends what's happening because you don't actually has access to your radio...

Not sure I think this all is a grey area 

Screenshot_20190801-174233__01.jpg

Edited by Clay_Bridges

2 hours ago, Clay_Bridges said:

-huge screenshot-

My character has a radio on him even when I am logged out.

If someone radios in to me that there is an attempted break in, you bet your ass I am going to assist.

That transmitting rule is meant to prevent me from telling my friend that I wanna rob you over discord while being 10 centimeters from your face, however if I talk into my radio and ask. "Why are you breaking into my base?" the people on the radio will be able to hear that and make their own assumptions to come assist.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So if you are asleep, you can be talking about IC things? & know those things already once you wake up?

It might be weird yeah, but then again raid when the group is online, not offline.

I think it should be perfectly fine to log in to defend on your establishemnt even if it seems little weird

29 minutes ago, ImNovaaa said:

So if you are asleep, you can be talking about IC things? & know those things already once you wake up?

Well according to rules this shouldnt be allowed.

"3.5 Metagaming is transferring information between Out of Character (OOC) and In Character (IC), despite there being no realistic way of characters or players gaining this information. This includes, but is not limited to:"

But considering what 2 staff members had to say about it @Phoenix and @Ducky im not sure is there somekind of grey area which allows it then.

2 minutes ago, Itsmez said:

It might be weird yeah, but then again raid when the group is online, not offline.

Wasn't there to raid, a lady said she was being held captive so we were attempting to break her out. I wish raiding a base was only ever done when the OP is online as well. But this isn't even geared towards just a base raid. What if I had a bunch of guys fall asleep, I let people inside our walls, then poof they wake up knowing exactly what is going on and they initiate on us.

In your example nova if nobody does any sort of IC communication before all these people log on I think it could be considered metagaming.

Otherwise I think it should be allowed since in reality most people would leave their radios on in the event of an attack.

5 minutes ago, Itsmez said:

Well according to rules this shouldnt be allowed.

"3.5 Metagaming is transferring information between Out of Character (OOC) and In Character (IC), despite there being no realistic way of characters or players gaining this information. This includes, but is not limited to:"

But considering what 2 staff members had to say about it @Phoenix and @Ducky im not sure is there somekind of grey area which allows it then.

Exactly, and that's why I asked the initial question. Because if that's the case, nobody would ever have to figure anything out in game/character and just "wake up" when needed.

1 minute ago, Ciiber said:

In your example nova if nobody does any sort of IC communication before all these people log on I think it could be considered metagaming.

Otherwise I think it should be allowed since in reality most people would leave their radios on in the event of an attack

Yes of course if the OP is yelling, "WAKE UP!! WAKE UP!!!" then it'd make sense and make for cool RP. But it sucked so so much when the server went up by almost 20 people without the OP saying a word to anyone but us.

9 minutes ago, ImNovaaa said:

Yes of course if the OP is yelling, "WAKE UP!! WAKE UP!!!" then it'd make sense and make for cool RP. But it sucked so so much when the server went up by almost 20 people without the OP saying a word to anyone but us.

That's where it's hard to prove, they could've easily said "why are you breaking into our base?" On the radio and they'll all wake up. Obviously it could be hard to prove due to the fact that you would be able to tell whether they just message someone on steam or say "were being raided get on", Its hard to prove since you cant tell what they used as a form of communication.

26 minutes ago, Ciiber said:

That's where it's hard to prove, they could've easily said "why are you breaking into our base?" On the radio and they'll all wake up. Obviously it could be hard to prove due to the fact that you would be able to tell whether they just message someone on steam or say "were being raided get on", Its hard to prove since you cant tell what they used as a form of communication.

I just don't think you should be in a discord call with asleep people giving them IC info OOC. But like you said, hard to prove.

I would hate to inform you, but we have a entire official forum for this thing (https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/forum/285-dayz-radio/). Not to mention multiple other IC radio threads people have via discord. In fact if what you want to happen happens, all we would have is alot more "coincidental" wake ups. What you are trying to do his limit somebodys ability to help and RP just because they can't be IG 24/7?