Server time (UTC): 2019-08-18, 10:14
Roland

Console servers

You have probably noticed two new additions on the home page - Xbox and PlayStation servers.

Private console servers have been recently announced by the DayZ team. We are going to give it a try with two small servers, one for Xbox and one for PlayStation, to see if there is potential for growth in these areas.

Most of the common questions about console servers are answered in the link below, but here are the details from our perspective:

• Console servers are vanilla DayZ experience, with no modding. This means things like radio broadcast or item shop will not work there
  • Very limited/no admin tools or logs are expected to be included, we don't even know if we're going to be able to set up a whitelist. In case we can't, we will have a dynamic password to the server that changes every 24h and is visible to whitelisted members on the whitelist page
  • Console servers are not a side-project, they should be treated as servers 3 and 4 more than a separate game. Rules will be the same on all servers, reports will be handled the same way by the same staff team

Servers have been pre-ordered and we are awaiting a launch date to get access to the servers. More details will follow once the servers have launched and we've had some time to experiment with what we can or cannot do.

How would groups etc. work transitioning from there to here? Just seems like such a large divide that PC will have nearly never heard of any of the people or groups... Also quick question out of curiosity, do you know if the servers will be a Hive between Xbox and PS4?

PC, Xbox and PlayStation are separate entities, no hives are shared. Every platform gets its own Hive.

Groups can transition the same way as they do between PC servers, I'm not sure what do you mean? You have a differently outfitted character because of a different server/hive, but that's about it, you can continue to role play as your group anywhere.

Just now, Roland said:

PC, Xbox and PlayStation are separate entities, no hives are shared. Every platform gets its own Hive.

Groups can transition the same way as they do between PC servers, I'm not sure what do you mean? You have a differently outfitted character because of a different server/hive, but that's about it, you can continue to role play as your group anywhere.

Think he meant as in what happens if a group is only found on PC, or one is only found on Xbox, but they both have approval and are around.

will there be a separate whitelist for consoles as they connect to the game through PSN/XBOX live and would those be required to be linked instead of a steam account?

1 minute ago, marauder1838 said:

will there be a separate whitelist for consoles as they connect to the game through PSN/XBOX live and would those be required to be linked instead of a steam account?

Yes, working on a PSN/Live integration right now.

22 minutes ago, Crow said:

Think he meant as in what happens if a group is only found on PC, or one is only found on Xbox, but they both have approval and are around.

Same thing that happens right now on PC servers where two groups have their prime time in different timezones or have different "main" servers they play on and rarely interact with others. Stories can travel far and wide between the platforms, but everyone doesn't have to interact with everyone.

Posted (edited)

Think it's obvious already but in regards to the forums, it could be a good idea to create three subsections of the "Groups" area on the forums for each of the three ways to play.

That way both consoles and PC have their separate 'IC worlds' in which different groups and people are a part of, and they could access frequencies, pages etc of their respective world.

And forgot to say, wishing you all the best with these servers Rolle, hope these do some real good bits for the community as a whole. Very excited to see how it turns out! 😄 

Edited by Luke

Posted (edited)

If that happens then I might give a try on there. I mean I am a game tester with years of experience and I will happily to test it out for you.

Edited by Paradox

Apparently DayZ runs pretty horrifically on PS4, there's some stuff on Reddit about it.

I'll be judge of that, because I tested on games on PS4 before as well as on PC. 

This looks good

Its good to see that your trying new things 

hope there are enough players for it

Sounds weird imo.

Nah, I mean I can def do some live streaming on this. Promote this to many people and I would talk to my friends about it (Jackscepticeye, Markiplier, Seananners etc)

Ill bet that they will be taken down due to inactivity within a few months.

Personally I just don't see the point in this. Nobody is going to actually play on them if they can play on a modded server with active players and get an actual RP experience. It feels like wasted effort to me in all honesty no offence dad @Roland

19 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Personally I just don't see the point in this. Nobody is going to actually play on them if they can play on a modded server with active players and get an actual RP experience. It feels like wasted effort to me in all honesty no offence dad @Roland

Not everyone has a PC to play on modded servers. There is a seperate community on consoles that might be interested on dayzRP, how big it is is yet to be seen and thats why the servers are going to exists.

Its an opportunity to increase dayzRP community as a whole, thats the point in this

3 minutes ago, Itsmez said:

Not everyone has a PC to play on modded servers. There is a seperate community on consoles that might be interested on dayzRP, how big it is is yet to be seen and thats why the servers are going to exists.

Its an opportunity to increase dayzRP community as a whole, thats the point in this

I'm sorry. Console community or not, I just don't see it.

17 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I'm sorry. Console community or not, I just don't see it.

I dont think anyone will see it yet, its yet to be seen and time will tell.

I doubt its going to be succesfull and the servers will probably be dead, but i would not waste the opportunity

for many years console players have been playing unmodded versions of the games pc players play happily enough, this will be the same, and since the arrival of dayz on console there have been many attempts to rp on public servers but those attempts were sabotaged by kos players using those servers act friendly to get in close before mag dumping at point blank. now there will be admins in charge and the roleplayers will come.

I came from console and the people over there wouldn’t take it seriously as pc players do. Not hating console peeps just saying a large amount aren’t the rp type 

Posted (edited)

*Laughs in superior PC master race*

In all seriousness though, why? Seems rather pointless and a waste of time. Console players are as casual as you can get and we have seen what happens in terms of casual player bases. I shudder at the thought of the GO-PRO armies. 

Edited by Zero

Literally won't last a month

I've got both Xbox and PS4 if I got some keys cheap for both I'll happily try it out and see what's what. 

The way I see it if there is a demand for full role-playing server on the console, DayZRP may as well get it grab it while they can and hype it up as it will be the first rp server for console. It's always good to expand the community so more people can enjoy it.

I'll be looking forward to it.

I personally can't see the console community taking roleplay seriously enough in all honesty. There's no hurt in trying but in general console players don't seem to take anything as serious as PC players do.

I don't personally have a console and haven't for a good 10 years but I have seen how console players act compared to Dayz players on the PC when I was around a friends how playing.