Server time (UTC): 2019-09-21, 10:03
Sign in to follow this  
Elijah Johnson

Hiding your character and group on your profile

So I have noticed recently and have heard of people who are talking in game via chat or emoting for them to be metagamed who they are all of a sudden and when checking on webpage you see someone visited you at the moment of you first talking IG or emoting I believe this allows people to metagame even if they haven’t met you at all.

Though reports can be throw up it can be immersion breaking and ruin RP.

I propose we be able to hide group we are part of on forums or our active character if we wish of course admins/moderators/support and loremaster should still be able to see it for reports and to see if character is in line with current lore.

whats people’s opinions anyone else experienced this ??

I'm personally not a fan of this idea, I enjoy seeing what groups people are in and what type of characters they are playing. Yes, I'm a Gamemaster and would be able to see this anyway but I'd also like to be able to see the same information as a community member should I ever leave staff. If you find evidence of somebody metagaming you can create a report and it will be looked into by the staff team.

Not a fan of this idea. As saunders says above if you believe metagaming is at play then report it

Just now, Voodoo said:

Not a fan of this idea. As saunders says above if you believe metagaming is at play then report it

Gotta be honest, it's always nice of seeing who you are actually dealing with, and in most cases people introduce their groups anyways or at least wear something group specific that they will get regonized by anyways.

That's just my humble opinion.

I actually like the idea. Meeting people is meant for IC but lately I've seen nothing but people looking on the forums for who's in what group and the behavior changes immediately. 

I support this

I'm 50/50 on it. I can see where Saunders and Voodoo are coming from, but I can also see where OP (Who's a member of a KOS group, mind you) is coming from. Personally I often use aliases to get information on people, and if I was metagamed (Like I have been in the past) it totally ruins the opportunity for that. Yes, a report could be thrown up, but I really feel like that's not a solution to the issue. If there's a way for me to not report someone and get them banned, but still achieve the same amount of RP, I'm going to go for that option.

I understand both sides, I've been hard meta'd about a group that I was in that no one but me and the owner of the group knew about, yet somehow everyone knows I was part of it. Its annoying, but I also really enjoying looking at character pages etc 😭 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Sometimes it isn't something you can prove... 

Someone might know you're part of ______ OOC and won't let you in their base, won't put effort into roleplay with you since they know that you're part of _____ and just saying they're being cautious even though they've just let others in before you.

In most cases they don't even mean to metagame but because they know you're a part of _____ OOC they'll put effort into being extra cautious around you without even noticing it themselves.

+1 to this.

Edited by Ciiber

25 minutes ago, Ciiber said:

Someone might know you're part of ______ OOC and won't let you in their base, won't put effort into roleplay with you since they know that you're part of _____ and just saying they're being cautious even though they've just let others in before you.

In most cases they don't even mean to metagame but because they know you're a part of _____ OOC they'll put effort into being extra cautious around you without even noticing it themselves.

+1 to this.

This essentially sums up my feelings on the character pages.

As much as I love being able to read character profiles to see the work put into them, I've had people rp with me, and once my character's name is made available to them the rp situation makes a complete U-turn into an aggressive interrogation or attempted execution. I think metagaming characters is just too popular on the server right now to make it so readily available.

Posted (edited)

I honestly am a fan of this idea.

It's not just because of me being part of a group like The Corp. It's because even on my civ character, people assume and metagame me knowing things about my past and things about whats going on with her that I put in bios and such, or sometimes, they even just take the group and apply it to a character that has no reason to be within that group, granted it can be IC'ly played out, but I've had so many people just come across my character, me type in chat OOC'ly for an AFK or something that needs to be typed like *Sifts through bag*. It's annoying.

I've honestly just cut out text RPing as a whole now and done my own thing in VC because once they find your characters full name if you give it willingly or not within the chat, you're hit with metagaming, people go online and search your character and BAM know everything about you and apply it like their character has access to that database. It's unfair completely and why I stopped playing for a good bit and just came back after about a month.

If we reported every instance of metagaming I've seen or been present during, we'd probably flood the report section at some point with just one groups worth.

+1 to this.

And this is ABSOLUTELY true! most the cases are like this, and it prohibits good roleplay and actual encounters. No real life person in an apocalypse like this would have access to our character bios unless they themselves made it available to their groups via RP encounters. I would like this server to be less metagaming, and more encounter and information seeking IC'ly.

Edited by Musty Cheeto
quoting

I may be apart of the group that the OP is in however thst dosnt sway my opinion on this matter.

I currently play a character that even to the group is mostly unknown, and should be to everyone Ive came across as I have never spoked about the corporation before. However, recently even though it may be IC assumptions I now have people saying they KNOW I'm corporation. 

A character page is cool, its a good way to progress yourself forum side but its something that creates an easy and smart way to metagame a player. Just as those above me had said just looking at the profile isnt something easy to report however they can slter the way they roleplay or NOT roleplay with you just because of that.

+1

Another issue with this is that character pages must be set to public for the in game servers to know if you have an active character or not and to ensure it matches the one on the forums. I'm not entirely sure if this would be possible because of this reason. I can see people's points of view on this and understand it's hard to prove that somebody is metagaming certain information but I don't see how this would be possible. Like we have seen in the past, if the community is very much for something we tend to get it if it's possible.

This is a hefty negative ghost rider from me.  Groups require rosters to be published for approval reasons, and hell, even for shopping reasons as a community member.  If I'm looking for a group, I want to know who I'm signing myself up to play daily and frequently with, both IC and OOC.  I just can't agree with hiding rosters overall, because we'd have to do that to effectively mask what group certain community members are in.  If rosters weren't totally hidden, it would be effectively useless to hide what group you're in, and if people really wanted to metagame you, they could through some light sleuthing.

My biggest opposition comes in on character pages.  They are and have been a pretty key portion of the community, and I think they should stay that way.  I personally love designing and carefully perfecting my character pages, and I wanna both show mine off and see everyone else's.  Also, after having spent plenty of time digging through CPs for staff stuff, I have a concern that people might take advantage of being able to hide CPs to just make total shit-tier ones with no effort put in, just because they know no one will really see it.

But, to echo some points my fellow staff members have already made, if someone in blatantly transferring OOC information gathered in any way, character page and group roster included, and using that information in-character, that is metagaming and metagaming is a rulebreak.  Please report it.

As somebody who runs a group based on complete secrecy I say go for it. Good luck reporting somebody for metagaming. It's such a pain to prove in most cases when even you and your people know that you are the only ones who know a certain thing.

You could argue that you should not put such sensitive details on a character page but meh. I'd love to have a group that's active and has kill rights but that's a shadow group and nobody knows anything about. There are so many opportunities for literally knowing nothing about a group and having to find out entirely in-game. It's why I'm such a big proponent of dynamics because they allow us to RP things out in a way that make sense in the real world. People abuse dynamics which means we can't have nice things.

I'd say there should be some options that pertain to what is visible. This should also make sense given that we do have to keep an eye on groups and hold activity accountable. 

11 minutes ago, Peril said:

But, to echo some points my fellow staff members have already made, if someone in blatantly transferring OOC information gathered in any way, character page and group roster included, and using that information in-character, that is metagaming and metagaming is a rulebreak.  Please report it.

I literally tell no one my real name, but I emote a lot and people will see my name and recognize me as a Black Rose by my name in chat. If I wanted to report that, it would go no where because the report would be word v word and I'm not going to keep or post days upon days of video evidence showing I don't say my real name. Metagaming reports need blatant proof and just because you have a video showing someone recognizing you without giving off any indicators does not mean they can't come up with an excuse as to why they recognize you. Also, I've seen a verdict or two where people were caught metagaming but got a verbal warning even though now that information is able to circulate IC.

That's why people want to hide their names.

I can understand where the OP and others are coming from with wanting to hide certain information for metagaming reasons. It can break immersion and roleplay if abused. 

That being said, I have and usually look up people I encounter because I enjoy reading back-stories and such, it's my favorite part of any good RP game.

It ultimately comes down to the individual and their personal experience with RP. We have a responsibility to ourselves and everyone else in the community to act and play responsibly. Responsibility in this case is being able to seperate IC and OOC information and give everyone a great and enjoyable roleplay experience.

Ultimately I believe that this is a good idea since not every persons ability to roleplay can be vetted to ensure this does not happen.

Play responsibly and remember there is a difference between IC and OOC and it will ruin the experience of other players if abused.

6 hours ago, Major said:

I'd say there should be some options that pertain to what is visible. This should also make sense given that we do have to keep an eye on groups and hold activity accountable. 

+1 to this specifically, and the idea as a whole.

Pretty much what everyone else has been saying, sometimes it's not intentional but it still happens. Other times you text chat, leave a friendly guy, and run into him five minutes later holding you up and asking ridiculously specific questions. But it's so hard to prove in most cases, the report isn't going to happen. Plus, once one person meta's something, that information is out and it can go across Chernarus and there isn't anything that you can do. 

Way to handle the current issue with metagaming, in my most biased of opinions of course, is to prevent it from being too easy; not through expecting someone to file a report when that report isn't going to go anywhere because all the guy has to do is say "I was being cautious" or "Someone told me about you"

I like this idea. 

Usually there are two ways groups get meta'd, either they recognize  someones voice that they know is in a specific group or they look up your character name. I believe this should be an option for some groups that have an actual reason to keep their roster hidden from people.

Nope from me. Character pages were created for a reason, people like to read them and i think everyone should be able to read any character pages they want.

As said before if you believe rules were broken then report it, like any other rulebreak

I want to for  the people to know I am district so they get flexed on in the fourms as well. 

I like the option, if I didn’t have to I wouldn’t reveal anything about my character on the site so people can find out in game, like they used to have to when I first joined the community — if people want to make illustrious profiles for the public, let them, if they want to save it all for IC, let them, if something about their character comes into question I’m sure the admins could make the profile visible if it came to that in a report

See I’ve never told anyone in game that I’m part of The Mafia but I show up to polana or any big gathering and they ask for my name so I say my characters name and all of a sudden they know I’m in Mafia and start to initiate which is so fucking annoying 

13 hours ago, wirpy said:

I want to for  the people to know I am district so they get flexed on in the fourms as well. 

Didn’t district get wiped out by black roses ? 

12 hours ago, aJoogie said:

See I’ve never told anyone in game that I’m part of The Mafia but I show up to polana or any big gathering and they ask for my name so I say my characters name and all of a sudden they know I’m in Mafia and start to initiate which is so fucking annoying 

Didn’t district get wiped out by black roses ? 

dream on kid 😎