Server time (UTC): 2019-10-14, 04:44
Sign in to follow this  
Cooper

Decrease spawn rates/make things more rare

I’m unsure if this has been suggested before, but since lore wise it has been a good while since the outbreak and alll that, shouldn’t spawn rates be adjusted to reflect that? Things like military gear and guns and ammunition should over time become more scarce and more valuable, by having lower spawn chances. As it stands I could go out and get a full military kit with kitted out weapons pretty easily. I think having your lower tier weapons like shotguns and handguns be relatively common is still fine, but military gear should slowly become more scarce since it would be some of the most looted. Just my two cents though. I also wouldn’t mind seeing food start to be a bit more scarce too, that way farming and hunting becomes a lot more valuable too. 

Id keep things as they are. I understand it will be realistic but you have to remember this is also a game to enjoy and have fun with.

7 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Id keep things as they are. I understand it will be realistic but you have to remember this is also a game to enjoy and have fun with.

Well fun is a matter of perspective. I agree with cooper that spawn rates on military gear are to high. I think the game would be more fun with less military gear in the world.

I understand that but I think that changing spawn rates to make things more rare and thus increase trade and the need for people to interact and RP. Making things harder to come by would mean traders, bandits and farmers all alike would have much more reason to get out and RP and trade and the like. Personally I think the RP benefits would be quite enjoyable. Right now what's really the point in being something like a farmer or a trader? Food is quite abundant in towns, I can get a backpack full of food just by walking through a town. I can get fully kitted out with weapons and ammo in about an hour of gameplay, so what's the point of being a trader? Making those things harder to come by would add more value to player interactions, and could open more opportunity for folks to trade and RP together instead of having constant faction warfare. At least with more scarce items, faction warfare would have much more to fight over resource wise.

Well, the way I see it, no matter how rare you make things people would just end up making laps around an abandoned military base instead of roleplaying.

Think the real way to fix this is to make things rare and on top of that make military gear spawn everywhere. Yeah it wouldn't make sense for a AK to be in a house but that would've easily been left behind by another survivor. It's easier visualizing that than finding weapons on an airfield that would've been looted clean days after the infection.

I know my view is extreme but I think that the higher end military weapons and assault rifles should be limited to coming from helicopter crashes and the like, since as you said the military bases would've been picked clean long ago. Though if people do make laps around military bases looking for gear, they'll likely run into other players doing the exact same thing, which would lead to roleplay 😛  though it may not be the most friendly roleplay, especially if someone found that precious weapon first. 

I like how easy stuff is to find. It allows me to use stuff that I like, without the worry of someone robbing me for it. I like being held up for RP, not for my "rare" gear.

2 minutes ago, Cooper said:

I know my view is extreme but I think that the higher end military weapons and assault rifles should be limited to coming from helicopter crashes and the like, since as you said the military bases would've been picked clean long ago. Though if people do make laps around military bases looking for gear, they'll likely run into other players doing the exact same thing, which would lead to roleplay 😛  though it may not be the most friendly roleplay, especially if someone found that precious weapon first. 

Usually that roleplay consists of

A "Do you know where I can find an M4?"

B "No..."

A "............................ umm, Do you have X ammunition?"

B "No.."

A "Okay, bye"

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ciiber said:

B "No..."

B "No.."

A "Okay, bye"

Damn, I felt like I was in game for a moment...

Gear shouldn't be rare at all. This is a RP server, nobody should care what gun or backpack or googles you have. But sadly they do, and it all revolves around loot being easier to take from someone than to farm for themselves.

Edited by Descendants

I'd rather people be asking about finding gear than coming across every single person in game having full military kits. And even when I have people asking about finding gear you can always find ways to expand the RP. I've had plenty of people ask me in game about finding weapons and ammo and that usually leads to another 10-15 minute conversation about things in the area, different groups in the area, all kinds of stuff. That conversation you just gave an example of is 50% you as well, so you don't have to just ramble off short and sweet answers and get on your way, you can always try and move the conversation forward to different subjects. The bottom line is, that's still an interaction that was created by circumstance that opens the door for RP, the lack of an interesting interaction reflects the lack of desire to create interesting interactions in game. Having item scarcity will create many more interaction opportunities because people will be out looking for things they need.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ciiber said:

B "No..."

B "No.."

A "Okay, bye"

Couldn't agree more, experienced this way to much lately.

Roleplaying shouldn't be about grinding gear and being so attached to it that you can't lose it, the way i see it then people care way to much about what items they have, even as it is right now.

The only thing i care about is the clothing i am wearing as it represents my charecter and that's it.

Edited by Drezen

34 minutes ago, Descendants said:

Damn, I felt like I was in game for a moment...

Gear shouldn't be rare at all. This is a RP server, nobody should care what gun or backpack or googles you have. But sadly they do, and it all revolves around loot being easier to take from someone than to farm for themselves.

HostileRP is still RP and fear should have a precense in the server. About half the people I see are in full military or full black and have an assault rifle.... even child characters. When you look at zombie movies/shows what do you see? Most of the time all they have are pistols but here everyone and their grandma has an automatic rifle.

I don’t think reducing the spawn of items more would be beneficial there is already a lot of people who think that it’s not enough and though it would make sense for there to be more people seemed with shoguns and pistols or low tier firearms it would only encourage more base raiding and hostile RP which would most likely end in a robbery I only see it unfortunately leading to intentional gearRP and gear fear. I believe this is already a big enough problem on the server as it is.

I mean what you have to realise is with making more stuff rare that will mean that robberies will increase for them rare items. So I'm sure we could make the spawn rates lower very simply but people will have to expect that hostile RP will dramatically increase and be prepared for that and not moan that they are being robbed.

Some items are already rarer than others.

You have a much greater chance of finding Mosin's, MP7's, MP5's. Saiga's and all that jazz rather than an AR.

I think the server is at a nice balance as it is and don't see the need to change it. Certain things are rare enough that I have to seek them out such as food where in some cases I've been at the brink of dying when I find some.

Making things even 100% rarer would make the server a 24/7 looting grind rather than a roleplay one. -1

i think the spawn rates rn are perfect dont change a single thing

My view on it, is while gear doesn't make the RP, gear can make the character. For example, it makes no sense for my character to run around with a childs briefcase, or a an AKS, but rather makes more sense for him to be wearing a military burlap bag and an M4. Does this make the RP? No, but it does make more sense for other people looking at me. So -1 to decreasing spawns.

Grenades are hella fucking common. Those shits spawn rates needa go down but besides that everything is good

59 minutes ago, Rainey said:

My view on it, is while gear doesn't make the RP, gear can make the character. For example, it makes no sense for my character to run around with a childs briefcase, or a an AKS, but rather makes more sense for him to be wearing a military burlap bag and an M4. Does this make the RP? No, but it does make more sense for other people looking at me. So -1 to decreasing spawns.

Like Rainy said.

Gonna have to vote -1 on this aswell mate

I want to make a proposal that I think would work very well if possible. Instead of decreasing the spawn rate for military gear, lets increase the amount of zombies at all military bases to make it a risky and dangerous place to loot. This would hopefully prevent new spawns and lower tear geared people from looting military bases until they could get better civilian weaponry. This could possibly increase more group rp because people might want to work together to increase their chances of extracting the loot they want. 

I still feel that the spawn rate is high, but I think this is a good way to curve it. Otherwise, only spawn rates I still want to be edited would be ammo and frag grenades. If you have players throwing grenades because they're bored or have to make inventory space, thats a sign they are too common.

1 hour ago, HavocHound said:

I want to make a proposal that I think would work very well if possible. Instead of decreasing the spawn rate for military gear, lets increase the amount of zombies at all military bases to make it a risky and dangerous place to loot. This would hopefully prevent new spawns and lower tear geared people from looting military bases until they could get better civilian weaponry. This could possibly increase more group rp because people might want to work together to increase their chances of extracting the loot they want. 

I still feel that the spawn rate is high, but I think this is a good way to curve it. Otherwise, only spawn rates I still want to be edited would be ammo and frag grenades. If you have players throwing grenades because they're bored or have to make inventory space, thats a sign they are too common.

I mean it's already pretty high as it is. And it won't stop people from just dying and going straight back to tisy anyways.

I think something that a lot of people don't understand (and something I didn't understand for a while) is the importance of "RP>PvP>Looting" .

By making ammunition rarer, you immediately switch the tables. Looting will be prioritised, then people will constantly be initiating on others for ammunition making more and more pvp scenarios occurring, killing roleplay. 

In essence, for a good game to function, scarcity must be a feature. But in this case, we are not playing the videogame for the videogame. We are playing the videogame to create our own soap opera TV shows and to immerse our imagination in an alternate reality. 

7 hours ago, Jorrdan said:

Grenades are hella fucking common. Those shits spawn rates needa go down but besides that everything is good

+1 on this tho

8 hours ago, Jorrdan said:

Rolle said he decreased the spawn rate in the last patch.

All this will do is increase Gear RP and that's the last thing we need. I get your point with it being 2 years since the outbreak, ammo, weapons etc will all be scarce but you have to remember that this is a game and with decreased spawns it will only increase the amount of people stealing from other's just for their weapons and could make the RP very boring and generic. I feel that there are a couple of things that need tweaking but for the most part the spawns are pretty much bang on