Server time (UTC): 2019-11-20, 08:11
Sign in to follow this  
Fae

100% Disk?

Before I start I need to stress that I am an old lady and I do not understand computers.
Think like I'm your mom and you need to explain everything really carefully or Ill just blow the whole thing up.

Right now I have 100% disk whilst I'm running DayZ and it causes me to lag so badly.
Any fixes for this? Idk why its happening or how to stop it, google doesn't help cause i'm a moron.

Any tech geniuses out there please help mama Fae with her PC thank you ❤️

What are the specs of your pc? Are you running many google chrome extensions whilst playing? There are a few things you can do to try and get that down, download a programme called "speccy" and let me know when you have so we can look into this for you.

Gonna go out on a whim here and hope you're using windows.

If your disk is at 100% and you aren't using a SSD (electronic storage, like a USB stick but internal to your pc) vs HDD (hard-drive, mechanical, slower) I'd recommend getting an SSD as well as / instead of your HDD.

To find out go to 'File Explorer', right click your main 'Local Disk' (mine is C:), click properties, and click on the 'hardware' tab. It should give you the name.

But otherwise disks can run slow with:

-Time, age gets the best of us all.

-Storage capacity being reached. Clear some unnecessary or unwanted files - a good place to check this is if you press the windows key and type 'Add or remove programs' and sort by size. But also check shadowplay folders etc.

-Fragmentation, worth a google but basically it means stuff is jumbled up on your disk and it has to look all over the place to piece together the .jpg / dayz files or whatever it is you're trying to load. Press the windows key and search for optimise drives, and click on the drive you want and analyse + optimise it.

Hope this helps!

P.S. google is a silent killer, definitely @Saunders

I'd also try a few of the following steps (if you get stuck with them Google how to do them, they're very simple)

• Set priorty of dayz to "above normal"
  • Disable programmes that you don't use, especially on boot up. (Examples are Skype, F.lux and other background apps)
  • Long term - Buy a SSD if you don't have one. Put windows and your main games on it as it'll speed things up dramatically.
  • Make sure that all chromes exes are disabled, even when you close chrome it will still eat away at memory
  • Defrag your pc and delete unwanted files.

If you continue to have issues after trying this out let me know and we can explore more options. I'd highly recommend buying a SSD if you don't have one though!

WinDirStat is a good tool to use when you wanna get rid of unwanted files on your PC

36 minutes ago, Descendants said:

WinDirStat is a good tool to use when you wanna get rid of unwanted files on your PC

What do you think about CCleaner? I've personally never heard of WinDirStat so I'm curious as to why you think that is better than another like CCleaner for example.

But @Fae have you tried out any of the troubleshoots yet and testing to see how it works now compared to before?

This happened to me. You need a new hardrive you’re is probably cooked especially if it is constantly doing 100 percent 

2 minutes ago, Diamond said:

This happened to me. You need a new hardrive you’re is probably cooked especially if it is constantly doing 100 percent 

She could buy a SSD and move her main games and windows onto it though which would help the issue. But I also agree with you, if her hard drive is making things that bad she should get a new one anyway but the troubleshoots above can alleviate the problem she is having, if only ever so slightly it still helps

Had this happened to me ever since I bought my pc at first. I didn't upgrade it till a month ago and it has completely fixed it. My game used to constantly stutter and I ended up buying an extra 8gb and it compelely stopped the stuttering and I even went on to buy an SSD which fixed pretty much everything and also increasing my pc speed. I'd recommend buying a SSD if you already haven't.

Ill try these!

I did fully stop chrome and everything it was running and that seemed to help a lot. My PC isnt great at the best of times and DayZ is the one game it seems to really struggle with anyway 😭

Thank you everyone ❤️ 

Just now, Fae said:

Ill try these!

I did fully stop chrome and everything it was running and that seemed to help a lot. My PC isnt great at the best of times and DayZ is the one game it seems to really struggle with anyway 😭

Thank you everyone ❤️ 

I had this issue with my old PC and making it priority really seemed to help, also gong into BIOS and making my fan speeds higher at lower temps seemed to help a ton as well (which is something I forgot to mention in my troubleshoot post above).

If you need any help with anything else you're more than welcome to drop me a message ❤️ 

Hope some of the solutions above have managed to help with this.

If possible though an SSD would be something that would help you. They can be fairly expensive depending on the size but games like dayz run smoother when they are installed on one.

@Fae

Start by posting your specs, that is always the best course of action when asking for tech help.

If this is all too complicated go ahead and hit me up on discord, and ill take a look at your PC remotely with teamviewer!

Other then that most stuff has already been said by the gentlemen above.

Posted (edited)

I have this theory that when your RAM is almost completely maxed out, your PC will access necessary data stored on your hard-drive instead of accessing it directly in the memory. Since such operations happen every second, when there's an heavy read, hardware usage might be maxed out and in-game stuttering might occur.
Check your RAM usage. If it's as I mentioned above, you could try lowering your game configuration or you could try expanding your memory.

Edited by HeadKillz

1 minute ago, HeadKillz said:

I have this theory that when your RAM is almost completely maxed out, your PC will access necessary data stored on your hard-drive instead of accessing it directly in the memory.
Since such operations happen every second, when there's an heavy read, hardware usage might be maxed out and in-game stuttering might occur.

She'll be best off buying a new HDD and a SSD, that would fix the issues but I see your point. I had this issue with my PC a while back (on my old PC) and buying both of these things fixed this. But some of the troubleshoots I stated above alleviated the issues until I did get a new HDD and SSD

Just now, Saunders said:

She'll be best off buying a new HDD and a SSD, that would fix the issues but I see your point. I had this issue with my PC a while back (on my old PC) and buying both of these things fixed this. But some of the troubleshoots I stated above alleviated the issues until I did get a new HDD and SSD

Yep, your suggestions are quite on point... just wanted to a less expensive option on the table.
I sometimes experience the same issues, usually restarting the game or restarting the PC provides a quick fix.

2 hours ago, HeadKillz said:

Yep, your suggestions are quite on point... just wanted to a less expensive option on the table.
I sometimes experience the same issues, usually restarting the game or restarting the PC provides a quick fix.

If you look at my second post in this thread you'll see the suggestions I used to use before upgrading to a new PC, they helped a ton. In addition, restarting your PC is always a huge help. If you leave you PC on sleep mode overnight it seems to make you use 100% a lot more than if you turn it off each night.