Server time (UTC): 2019-08-25, 14:38
Sign in to follow this  
LJcollective

What's the rule / feelings on faking an identity?

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I'm v new so I'm super sorry if this is an obvious rule question which I haven't taken in, but I just wanted to get the rule/opinions on people using fake identities? Like I imagine obviously giving a fake name every now and then to a stranger you just met and don't entirely trust is fine, but how far can you take it? I'm not talking about pretending to be anyone else, or pretend being part of a group or anything like that - I'm specifically talking about regularly using a fake name and alias? 

My current character is neutral good (so far) so this doesn't apply to anything I want to do right now. But hypothetically later on if I had a bandit character, could I go around putting on a "fake" voice and giving a fake name to everyone I meet, and then actually have a true identity (with my "real" voice) that I only use with my other raiders or people who get to know me? What's the views on this?

Edit: As far as my personal opinion I think it sounds pretty cool. Especially if you changed outfits as well when you wanted to go incognito and maybe get some info or do some scouting as a fake identity. Or if you were on the run from some really bad people, I could see it being fun completely changing your outfit, whacking on a cowboy hat and putting on a southern accent if you run into them. Then obviously they can question you, hold you up, force you to take off your mask if they think it's you etc.

Edited by LJcollective

You can use a fake name/indentity as long as you do not impersonate another individual or group in a way that would bring harm to them, their group or their reputation.

image.png.9e6c7f0bd902d5bbfe112bc81cc74fce.png

Personally I think it's fine, as long as you do it in a realistic way. For example, if you always wear a mask with your "Second Personality", whenever you take your mask off I'd say go back to your normal voice because in DayZ, voice is one of the few things that makes people unique. I think if you continue using a fake voice even when you don't have a mask on, to somebody who would know your normal voice (and therefore face) to trick that person, it would be borderline BadRP/AOGM simply because you're abusing the fact that there's only a few face models in game, and they can't differentiate faces.

I'm not sure I worded that in the best way possible, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say, if not let me know and I'll try rephrasing a bit.

you can put on a fake accent and give fake names, and a lot of people already do this, especially if others have kill rights on them.  There are also many others that don't use their characters real names in general.  Just be mindful that you real name shows up in chat and people sometimes use it to metagame.

21 minutes ago, Dustup said:

you can put on a fake accent and give fake names, and a lot of people already do this, especially if others have kill rights on them.  There are also many others that don't use their characters real names in general.  Just be mindful that you real name shows up in chat and people sometimes use it to metagame.

But if you have solid evidence that they straight up metagamed all you have to do is go ahead and create a report. Now, that's in the instance that somebody calls you by your characters name when you clearly gave them a fake name. I do however see your point. You can give a fake name, emote something in chat and then the hostile person will continue to press you for your real name no matter how much you to and divert them away from your characters real name, which is very unfortunate.

i use fake/random names all the time with strangers until im sure who they are, especially with the company i keep. Theres a lot of people who dont like the good work we do on the island.

You can use a fake name as long as you do not impersonate another individual or group

Ive used fake identities in the past. If the metagame from a chat log just report it but remember you can be ID’d from something simple like your voice and looks but the other party would need to 100% confirm it.

Just dont impersonate another individual or group