Server time (UTC): 2019-11-20, 15:48
Sign in to follow this  
Major

What do you guys think of this?

Watch until like 6 minutes. A couple people have come to me asking if this was me doing this and I said no, the video explains itself. Some people seem to think it's trolly but others really enjoy it. I just want you guys' opinions on this as I assume it's GMs doing it. This is not an indictment of them as they are trying to improve people's game experience.

I don't really have a side in this I just want an idea of what the community's mindset is. We do have this thread which has some actual paranormal things and local folks tales. Post what you think.

Posted (edited)

To add up on it since I asked Major about this.

That's my video from the day after. 

Personally I guess I enjoyed it since I like PvE.
 The only thing I am wondering about is if it is just random, or if it actually has a meaning. As in were we / or I (cause it happend twice within 2 days) picked for a reason.

I can think of reasons myself that would explain something like that happen to my character but yea.

Edited by RoCKiE

Posted (edited)

Do not like when this type of stuff is overdone... stock sounds: "I see you..." - thats the worst out of all of them.

Spooky noises, girl scream... fine....

But in this situation in 3 minutes time frame, these guys get "spooked" from 4 different directions, with no link to one another.... feels like just random stuff really happening really fast... I would think IC someone is making a joke while staff might think they are providing spooky RP. Feels forced a bit.

If it was just girl screaming in woods and standing and disappearing all of sudden.... fine.

I think these tools over all could be used better.

Also the part where the "mystery guy" stand on ship containercrane.... instead jumping off of it... could have walked behind it and disappear... once player investigates... he is gone. Would have been also better. 

Feels like it needs more work and planning.

Edited by Shanoby

This is trollish to me, I've already personally expressed my dislike to this type of thing.

On the whim events are immersion breaking and do not correlate with lore, is my usual take on it.

Decent Feedback coming in @Voodoo! So! This can be extremely nice, but remembering the aspect of overdoing it is... not good. The demon thing is little annoying, and immersion breaking. BUT Incase if it just would be sounds, and a character disappearing/appearing from places AND there would be explanation to the things happening. Like admin message: A strange gassy smell, can be felt around Myshkino tents. It would give characters reason to either leave, don gas masks or just ignore it, and then start seeing things. 

I find it funny at some points. But some yells are just not working. Maybe start with girl yelling, infected chasing someone etc etc. Give people roleplay out from it, besides going yatatata at infected hordes, it would be great.

I did talk to Voodoo about it just so ya'll know. I'm sure he'll post.

I think it works if it makes sense. But watching that clip of the twitch stream seemed like a joke. You hear "I see you" from one direction, the next thing you hear is a woman scream on the whole other side of a field???? Then you get chased down by axe murderers?? image.png.ee929dc2190c95474c96583fbf1b6019.png

It makes no sense and seems very trolly. When I was a GM we did several mini-events, but they made sense. We worked with the lore team to see if it would make sense with our current lore. Regarding other "fun events" we always used a separate server and they were always planned out, like when we did the prison event.

Bro i think it's great! i love the role play and things it brings! 

It's adds edge and tbh every time I've ran into it it's been great

Posted (edited)

Any time its happened around me its revolved around some internal rp happening in a group dynamic involving some storylines where a "demon" / "being" of some sort is being worshipped/being seen by individuals. 

Its gone along well when ive experienced it and added to these storylines. 

I do think theres a time and place for such things in which admins involved agreed that it'd be better to do it when theres only those specific people around to add to our roleplay. 

They have also respectfully backed off when things start to go down outside our internal rp.

I personally think it adds some fun to things. Same goes with the wolves/zombies coming in.

Edited by Phoenyxx

Well feedback is always nice and helps us to improve, we didn't do this to troll we did it to give everyone on the server something abit different to just base building and talking about what they will do whilst around a campfire (something we have seen a lot recently)

Now we can tone it down, we can go more with lore based folk stories next time however I would like to point out that it must have done something because as soon as we started the server went from 40 players to 80 instantly, maybe it was a random occurrence or maybe the news spread oocly and people wanted to experience something abit different to just talking and the odd horde.

But please guys give us more feedback, at the end of the day this is your server and with our powers now we can put on mini events or simple just make tiny things (such as ghostly noises from buildings) to spice up your RP as you travel from 1 town to another. One example of something I did was play a sound of people chatting and drinking in a bar as someone ran past only for them to open the door to nothing.

I feel it breaks immersion in a major way, especially if it wasnt talked about with the loremasters.

Random voices and screeches are not something that happen these are hallucinations, the way it was executed was nice but we are RP'ing a more realistic scenario.

If this can be used as a precedent why could I for example not roleplay a banshee or a ghost?

It is dangerous to make the supernatural allowed inside a lore where it previously didnt exist

Been enjoying every bit of interaction.

10/10 should keep on going.

Before this thread continues I want to post a disclaimer,

Currently all in game 'mini-events' are done by the GM/Admin team. There are times they do or don't consult with us prior to doing so.

Loremasters do NOT have tools on the LIVE servers to perform dynamic/mini events on our own.

We do, however, have them on the event server and for the duration of scheduled events.

That is all.

I think this is a great thing and people shouldn't be whining saying it doesn't fit the Lore. They didn't do this to troll, just to spice things up and have some fun for a little bit. This is a video game, remember that not everything has to be 100% realistic. It's fine they did it. I wouldn't overdo it but I think this is completely fine every once in a while.

So is going into RCON and putting a spider on your shoulder to act on. It doesn't provide lore improvement, but it's fun every now and then, so why the hell not? People need to relax a lil.

I've gotten to experience quite a few of these events, and every single one of them were fun and engaging for everyone involved. Some are subtle, some are not. It might not be for everyone, but the reactions I've seen in game were those of enjoyment.

As @Phoenyxx said, we have IC reason to believe of some sort of demon/possession happening with our group, and the interactions are providing quite a bit of good, internal RP for us and are furthering a lot of storylines. I not only enjoy it when it happens, I encourage it to keep happening. I had a long trip from the airfield the other night and was pleasantly stalked by a demon the entire time, and the people traveling with me were having a blast as well.

Again, it might not be for everyone, but we in particular enjoy it. It provides a great break from sitting around camp not doing much or making a long trip back from somewhere. 

Thank you to the ones doing this for us. We know you're not doing it for yourselves, and we appreciate it. Much love. ♥️

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Phatal said:

Before this thread continues I want to post a disclaimer,

Currently all in game 'mini-events' are done by the GM/Admin team. There are times they do or don't consult with us prior to doing so.

Loremasters do NOT have tools on the LIVE servers to perform dynamic/mini events on our own.

We do, however, have them on the event server and for the duration of scheduled events.

That is all.

Is there a reason as to why the Loremasters don’t have the powers? 

I have had one encounter with the entire demon thing, but our characters had just taken mushrooms so we rpd out that we were tripping balls. The RP was real fun and different from what you’d usually see. But today out of nowhere an rcon message pops up and a bunch of wolves spawn on top of me and i almost get dropped when five of them rush me in a corridor. It has a time and place, and I don’t think it should be done all the time or it’ll start getting stale quick. 

Edit: Also, how many of you truly know the lore? 

Edited by Apollo

Posted (edited)

To be honest, I think its fine as long as it isnt over done and over reacted. Its something different other than sitting aorund a campfire talking to each other in camps all day. It adds variety to the server. If it happens to you in game and you dont like it just say //Dont do the demon stuff right now thanks. Its not hard to avoid. Also, about the lore thing, does it really matter? Not everything in DayZRP has to be about the lore.

Edited by JamesRP

Honestly I love the fact that GMs are starting to show some form of interest but at the same time when they do weird annoying noises and spawn 100 wolfs it gets to the point of trollish and annoyance.

They are literally fine but I would love to see some other type of events too

maybe some tasks a random stranger asks to get done and some people can do it or some stuff like that

8 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I think this is a great thing and people shouldn't be whining saying it doesn't fit the Lore. They didn't do this to troll, just to spice things up and have some fun for a little bit. This is a video game, remember that not everything has to be 100% realistic. It's fine they did it. I wouldn't overdo it but I think this is completely fine every once in a while.

So is going into RCON and putting a spider on your shoulder to act on. It doesn't provide lore improvement, but it's fun every now and then, so why the hell not? People need to relax a lil.

This has zero to do with the lore and everything to do with whether people think it's entertaining or not. 

I care very little for the Lore in this context.

I frankly think this is by concept or design a good approach to spice things up and to add a bit of "mystery", backed by the folklore thread.

HOWEVER!

To have an actual effect and not seem like the happenings of a bored staff team or member, it needs to be done tactfully. There is a fine line between unexplained mysteries and overdone cliché type of horror or the plain unbelievable. Keep it decent, vague and limited, not haunt someone with random zombies. While I think it's fine to actually have zombies appear in the wilderness here and there there must always be "limits" or you risk over-doing it and then it turns stale or suspension of disbelief / immersion breaks fast.

I'd rather have some odd sightings or weird noises (that do not have to be right next to you, mind this) at night or in some areas, re-occuring, than someone setting out trying to scare or haunt random players as if they have a contract to cover at the tunnel of horror at the amusement park.

YES, I LIKE THIS, but it needs to be done "tactful".

I do distant screams and sirens as a warning of an incoming hordes of zombies. I think that's fine.

Supernatural demon talk and whispers... ehhhh... not so much.

this looks fun Id be happy if that happened to me. Really makes things less boring.

Less is more when it comes to this sort of thing.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Less is more when it comes to this sort of thing.

well said +1 to this