Server time (UTC): 2019-11-19, 08:58
Sign in to follow this  
Gaden

"Dead man's switch"

So would it be possible to make a mod that allows you to unpin a grenade and not have the countdown start? Like real life?

It would add RP value, imagine you get held up, and you snag a grenade and unpin it and say 

"Shoot and we all die."

Technically it shouldn't be considered NVFL because things like this have happened before in real life. 

I thought that if you unpin the grenade and just leave it in your hand it doesn't blow up? I may be wrong here.

hold it in your hands and it wont blow up

Waste of time, people would just shoot you and sprint away... Grenades can have a pretty long timer.

C4 would be a different story.... as you could probably modify the switch to detonate upon release. But at the same time how would you disarm it if you've already triggered the switch?

1 hour ago, Gaden said:

So would it be possible to make a mod that allows you to unpin a grenade and not have the countdown start? Like real life?

It would add RP value, imagine you get held up, and you snag a grenade and unpin it and say 

"Shoot and we all die."

Technically it shouldn't be considered NVFL because things like this have happened before in real life. 

This is already intentionally in the game if you unpin a grenade it won’t go off until it leaves your hand or you go unconscious in which case the countdown starts but it is a blatant NVFL if you blow yourself up purposely to kill someone but it could be used for some interesting role-play if done right , though you may run the risk of an invalid kill 

I'm fairly certain that if you put it in your hands and unpin it, the timer starts, unlike an actual grenade in real life. 

(have yet to test it)

Just holding it in your hand is an empty threat.

Posted (edited)

If you unpin a grenade in your hands and you don't throw it or equip it, it basically acts as a dead man switch. Otherwise the timer doesn't start till you release the grenade or die whilst holding it

Edited by groovy vulf

9 hours ago, Gaden said:

Yes, these things do happen in real-life, and they are done by people who do not value their own life.

If you would rather blow up and die, than have some of your items stolen, then that means that you put more value in your items than your characters life. It's a cool concept, but I do not think that it will work on our server, especially considering our 'No Value For Life' rule, which this would violate.

22 hours ago, Banshee said:

Yes, these things do happen in real-life, and they are done by people who do not value their own life.

Personally, I disagree, allow me to elaborate please.

Let's say for instance that you know a friend of yours is being held hostage inside a room, you enter holding a live grenade, and demand the release of the hostage.

Now sure this is a very dangerous maneuver, but the bad guys know that if he dies, so does everyone, so is it really worth killing him? It's perfectly safe to hold a grenade without the pin as long as you don't release trigger.

The rules state don't act in a way that shows no value for your life, but it's perfectly safe, it's essentially the same as holding a grenade with the pin in it, the only difference being it can go live in seconds with your death.

It isn't attempting to fight numerous hostiles at once, in fact it's the opposite of preventing the hostilities.

But that is just my opinion, and overall, the admin team and Roland would have the final say.

To avoid unwanted reports or situations I would recommend just roleplaying this out in a way that you explicitly state and emote that the pin has been removed, if you ever encounter this situation.

1 minute ago, Hofer said:

To avoid unwanted reports or situations I would recommend just roleplaying this out in a way that you explicitly state and emote that the pin has been removed, if you ever encounter this situation.

Valid point, but who on DayZRP would allow someone to pull out a grenade and give them time to roleplay it without first mowing them down?

2 minutes ago, Gaden said:

Valid point, but who on DayZRP would allow someone to pull out a grenade and give them time to roleplay it without first mowing them down?

Proper roleplayers.

Not too many of those around unfortunately, I feel it would go over the same as if you pulled out a gun while being held up, you'd be shot.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gaden said:

Not too many of those around unfortunately

Is this.... Is this flame 😉

Edited by ChrisW

Absolutely not, it's the truth, there are some good ones out there, but then there are many that.. you know.. 

No disrespect meant to anyone

On 7/24/2019 at 3:49 AM, Gaden said:

I'm fairly certain that if you put it in your hands and unpin it, the timer starts, unlike an actual grenade in real life. 

(have yet to test it)

Just holding it in your hand is an empty threat.

You can run around forever with an unpinned grenade, as long as you are holding the safety ("striker") lever. (Both IRL and in game, not that id recommend it at all ever IRL) 
Ive had someone chase me with an unpinned grenade in game before, didn't go off.

"The classic hand grenade design has a safety handle or lever (known in the US forces as a spoon) and a removable safety pin that prevents the handle from being released: the safety lever is spring-loaded, and once the safety pin is removed, the lever will release and ignite the detonator, then fall off. Thus, to use a grenade, the lever is grasped (to prevent release), then the pin is removed, and then the grenade is thrown, which releases the lever and ignites the detonator, triggering an explosion."

Once you let go of the lever,  when you throw it, that is when the grenade timer starts. 

Posted (edited)

@Gaden To sum it up, if you pull the pin on a grenade in game, you can hold it in your hands as long as you want without it blowing up. As soon as you drop it, throw it, go unconscious, or die with it, the timer for it to go boom begins before eventually BOOM!

As for the situation you are describing, it all really is situational on whether or not it would be NVFL for you to do such. A lot of rule breaks are dependent on the unique situations that occur within them. So that is up for you to decide really if you think it is just or warranted to do such a thing, and if an issue arises out of it, then of course it would be at the staff teams discretion on whether or not they felt it was reasonable enough and if it was a rule break or not. Therefore, you can't really get a definite answer for the situation describe as a lot of factors would play into it.

Edited by Hunter

Precisely my point, which would lead me to the question of why it would be no value for life, as it's perfectly safe. 

But now that I know that this is the case for grenades in game, I suppose that leads to the issue of what this would mean in game played out.

36 minutes ago, Gaden said:

which would lead me to the question of why it would be no value for life

• 3.2 | Do not act in a way that indicates no value for your characters life and survival.

Runing into a room of hostiles armed with nothing but a live grenade is, in my opinion, an act that indicates no value for not only your life, but also your friend's.
Not only that, but the chances of you even entering the building they are in is miniscule, as most people will simply say; 'Do not enter this building or you wil be shot', resulting in you being shot and killed the second you attempt to walk in. If you're already inside the building, then you are most likely already taken hostage yourself, and will be unable to pull out a grenade due to being tied up or having been searched for weapons, forcing you to hand over your grenade.

Like I said, cool concept, but practically impossible to do.

But is it NVFL and should it be punished if it "makes sense IC" individually due to the characters involved and so on, and if the person doing it dies knowing they took a gamble or actually expected to die?

In the end it really depends on the exact situation and all actors involved (including prior history), but I wouldn't necessarily punish someone with points if they go out gunzs blazing (or nades unpinned) when it makes sense IC. In most cases I can think of it's not NVFL (chargeable) if you win, and if you lose despite apparent odds, it's a PK. Again, for some stories or situations this might even make a lot of sense or be explainable IC.

Posted (edited)

You can unpin and hold the grenade but until the grenade is dropped or moved with the pin still removed it'll start its timer to blow, but it is realistic to hold it as a method of negotiating, but the only way this would make proper RP sense is if you PK the character that blows up

Edited by Apollo

That's IF anyone gets blown up at all, which goes into completely new territory as someone already said about the Invalid kill, and would that be NVFL for the one that would shoot and kill the one with the grenade?

If you get held up and you decide to pull out a grneade, i think you'd already be dead before you unpin it because you are no longer complying with their demands.

Easy as that. Besides, as said a dozen times already. Take grenade, unpin, hold it. You are a human bomb till you lose the bomb. -1

Later today ill go and do a test on how long you can hold them for. I always thought that aslong as you don't let go of the grenade you can hold it unpinned for as long as you want?