Server time (UTC): 2019-11-12, 22:08
Sign in to follow this  
Kerkkoh

Sickness/Diseases in DayZ

This is something we've needed for a spell.

Thanks for putting it together. 

What a useful guide! Thank you! 🙂 

really nice guide, just such a shame BI dev's think you can treat an influenza infection with antibiotics 😞 

How am I only just seeing this guide? This is incredible work @Kerkkoh. Will come in handy for so many people so you can take my BeanZ sir

On 7/23/2019 at 7:31 AM, Kerkkoh said:

Originally posted as a response to a suggestion topic here, but I thought it should be here as well with slight modifications.

How do diseases work?

• The way DayZ diseases work is by agents. Agents are essentially something like bacteria or viruses for different diseases.
  • If your character drinks from a tainted water source, your player's immunity manager will get added agents of let's say the cholera disease. Same thing happens with other diseases.
  • The thing is, these agents fluctuate over time depending on several values. By default, if you have an infected wound, or have drank a bunch of contaminated water, the amount of agents will increase over time if your immunity can't fight it off. Eating antibiotics or charcoal tablets, disinfecting the wound, being near a heat source and staying healthy otherwise are some of the things that can decrease the amount of agents, depending on the disease ( see list below ).
  • Depending on the disease and the amount of agents your character currently has, the disease activates and starts producing symptoms. Even before this, you'll get a small icon next to all the other HUD elements that notifies you of the sickness.
  • When the amount of agents becomes small enough, the disease will be deactivated and be "cured".
  • There is a max amount for each agent. It is usually around 1000 agents, so diseases are never "incurable" (other than Kuru that is).

How to not get them in the first place?

• You can prevent diseases by
    • Increasing your immunity by eating vitamins once in a while. Eating them twice in a short period of time will reset the effect (Go figure what the fuck the logic behind this is)
    • Wash your hands if they are bloody. Drinking or eating with bloody hands will give you the shits.
    • Disinfect items that might be infected
    • Stay warm
    • Stay clear of zombies, don't let them hit you
    • Stay at least 3 meters away from all sick people and wear a facemask
  • If you do anything that might give you a disease, TREAT IT IMMEDIATELY, DON'T WAIT FOR THE SYMPTOMS.

How to cure them?

These are the current agents that actually have a function in game, and here's how you get them and how to treat them:

• CHOLERA 
    • EAT ANTIBIOTICS AS SOON AS YOU'RE CONTAMINATED, and then RE-DOSE EVERY 5 MINUTES
    • Drinking out of contaminated sources, drinking or eating with bloody hands, contaminated items etc.
    • Makes you VOMIT
  • COMMON COLD
    • EAT ANTIBIOTICS, STAY WARM
    • Being not warm enough, not having a strong immune system
    • Makes you SNEEZE
    • Makes it possible for you to get fever, in which case, DRINK A LOT MORE THAN USUAL
  • INFLUENZA 
    • EAT ANTIBIOTICS AS SOON AS YOU'RE CONTAMINATED, and then RE-DOSE EVERY 5 MINUTES
    • STAY WARM, STAY WARM, STAY WARM!!
    • Being not warm enough
    • Makes you COUGH
  • SALMONELLA 
    • EAT CHARCOAL TABLETS, NOT ANTIBIOTICS, and then RE-DOSE EVERY 5 MINUTES
    • Resistant to antibiotics (again, go figure what the fuck this is about)
    • Skinning animals, contaminated items, eating organs of animals
    • Can't be removed from items by disinfecting them
    • Makes you VOMIT
  • WOUND AGENT
    • DISINFECT THE WOUND, EAT ANTIBIOTICS, USE CLEAN BANDAGES, and then RE-DOSE ANTIBIOTICS EVERY 5 MINUTES
    • Infected wounds from zombies, BANDAGING WITH RAGS, etc.
    • Moderately resistant to antibiotics, you'll probably need multiple doses if it you can't disinfect the wound
    • Makes it possible for you to get fever, in which case, DRINK A LOT MORE THAN USUAL

This is all based on looking at the disease scripts and logic currently in game, so it is accurate.

The takeaway & TL;DR?

Thus, it is important to identify, which sickness you have to know how to treat it. If you're in doubt, antibiotics will (most probably) help you out. If you have had the disease for a long time, it will take a lot of antibiotics to cure you and it can feel permanent, but it never is, there is a max amount of around 1000 agents for each disease. You'd ideally take an antibiotic or charcoal tablets every 5 minutes.

Diseases aren't broken. They are just hard to treat, but are never incurable.

TL;DR: Start curing the disease as soon as you can (see the above list for how to cure diseases). The longer you go without treating the disease, the sicker you will get. If you have been with the disease for a long time, it will take a very long time to get you cured, but diseases are NEVER incurable.

~ With ❤️ Kerkkoh

THANK YOU!

This is so interesting, THANK YOU!

But I will tell you a secret: my illness is incurable. I already have all those diseases, 1000 agents for each, and more!

Everybody should stay away from me! XD!

Do you have pictures of what each disease icon is? I currently have a icon with a circle then like cells breaking off from it.

19 minutes ago, Xtreme said:

Do you have pictures of what each disease icon is? I currently have a icon with a circle then like cells breaking off from it.

All diseases use the same icon, you need to figure out what it is from the symptoms. At least thats my understanding.

Just now, Rover said:

All disease icons use the same logo, you need to figure out what it is from the symptoms. At least thats my understanding.

Ah right that makes sense, it's weird as I don't have any symptoms (That i've noticed) But I do need to drink and eat alot more then usual 

Just now, Xtreme said:

Ah right that makes sense, it's weird as I don't have any symptoms (That i've noticed) But I do need to drink and eat alot more then usual 

Just take tetracycline if you can find it, one pill every so often, and it'll probably fix you. You'll see the 'medicine' logo appear.

Thank you so much! I always thought that icon was a bug since I produced no bad effects except for one time when I almost died