Server time (UTC): 2019-09-19, 07:25
Sign in to follow this  
Blake

Regarding the server split

I agree with the "only opening Server 2 when Server 1 is full" sentiment, as having both up at all times doesn't really make a lot of sense to me as its just spliting the player base. It does mean the admins will have to monitor the server activity more frequently but I'm sure there's a way to automatically boot S2 when S1 hits a certain player count.

4 minutes ago, Blake said:

2. Make it so ONLY approved groups are allowed to build bases. I know this sounds dumb af since we can't really force people not to build, but thats just my opinion. I feel like this would make the bases owned by approved groups play a much bigger role, I'd rather have few bases where people come to and create unique roleplay instead of having multiple fences around every coner around the map on both servers. 

This on the other hand is a fair idea in principal, but it practice it wouldn't work as its just far too hard to police. In a game were everyone can build bases, anywhere on the map, it would be nearly impossible to enforce an "only official groups can build" policy as the map is far too large and anyone could just build anywhere.

1 minute ago, Queerios said:

I agree with the "only opening Server 2 when Server 1 is full" sentiment, as having both up at all times doesn't really make a lot of sense to me as its just spliting the player base. It does mean the admins will have to monitor the server activity more frequently but I'm sure there's a way to automatically boot S2 when S1 hits a certain player count.

This on the other hand is a fair idea in principal, but it practice it wouldn't work as its just far too hard to police. In a game were everyone can build bases, anywhere on the map, it would be nearly impossible to enforce an "only official groups can build" policy as the map is far too large and anyone could just build anywhere.

Yeah I know the second one would be a bit iffy, but still, I just feel like people are way to attached to their little wood walls. 

yeah nah blake it wont work valiant effort m8 you finna catch the smoke, boys came at my neck for suggesting this smh 

Just now, ShanePVP said:

yeah nah blake it wont work valiant effort m8 you finna catch the smoke, boys came at my neck for suggesting this smh 

Rather have people roasting me instead of the servers being split like hell

How dare you suggest this... smh

In all seriousness I wouldn't mind locking S2 as long as S1 can act stable.

Posted (edited)

I think this is a good idea (this being the suggestion to lock s2 until s1 hits 75 players), once we have our next map wipe. But currently, people have settlements made on S2 and it would suck for them to never get to roleplay in a base that took them weeks to make.

Edited by Descendants

This idea keeps popping up.

Its a no from me again. S1 gets full and the only people that go to S2 are those gearing up or people that are transient there. Issue becomes S1 is full with a massive queue, and S2 is a ghost town of looters, because everyone in a large group with a base tries to play on S1 with their group.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rover said:

This idea keeps popping up.

Its a no from me again. S1 gets full and the only people that go to S2 are those gearing up or people that are transient there. Issue becomes S1 is full with a massive queue, and S2 is a ghost town of looters, because everyone in a large group with a base tries to play on S1 with their group.

And that's a bad thing why? I'd rather have a full server with a que rather then 45 ppl on s1 and 50 on S2.

The base thing is great idea why does everyone and there mothers have to build a base, solution to the policing is that staff would be sent a msg of a location for the approved groups base and then everything else is just removed.

Edited by Eagle

8 minutes ago, Eagle said:

And that's a bad thing why? I'd rather have a full server with a que rather then 45 ppl on s1 and 50 on S2.

The base thing is great idea why does everyone and there mothers have to build a base, solution to the policing is that staff would be sent a msg of a location for the approved groups base and then everything else is just removed.

People complain 'they can't find anyone'.

That is because large groups of people play at and around bases. These act as hubs. They are places for players to congregate. This makes sense ICly because ICly people want to flock together, and it helps OOCly because the maps are very large. 

When you limit one server to being open only as an overflow, no one will build there because then they have to switch servers and 'oh gee, where did our home go?'. As a result people will only play on S1. 

This is literally what happened before the change was implemented; the queue for S1 was so long people couldn't queue on it. Hell, the queue for S1 was frequently larger then the entire population of server 2. 

When you have both servers up all the time people can divide themselves between it; Some groups exclusively play on one server, others on the other server. 

As for implementing a rule to only have groups be allowed to build bases, that'd be something for another thread.

I personally think S2 as a whole was always meant to be an overflow server.

Primarily people would join S1, and when S1 was full they would migrate to S2.

I liked that system, however on the other hand it meant that all the RP was found on S1, and no RP at all on S2 (It essentially became an overflow loot server)

With the way it is now, and basebuilding making people migrate between the servers, there is roleplay happening on both servers, sure the overall amount of stuff that happens on S1 has decreased, but it has made it so that there is always RP to be found on S1 and S2 alike.

As for the suggestions, here is my take on things.

46 minutes ago, Blake said:

1. Only open Server 2 when Server 1 is full. Just like the old days. 

This was a good idea back when basebuilding wasnt relevant, and RP was directly tied to players and nothing else, sadly given that settlement RP has become a trend, this likely will not solve anything and it will just cause people to wait until S1 is full to join S2 for their rp, or worse, stop playing entirely.

42 minutes ago, Blake said:

2. Make it so ONLY approved groups are allowed to build bases. I know this sounds dumb af since we can't really force people not to build, but thats just my opinion. I feel like this would make the bases owned by approved groups play a much bigger role, I'd rather have few bases where people come to and create unique roleplay instead of having multiple fences around every coner around the map on both servers. 

Currently, approved groups are the only ones who can have custom base designs using the BuilderItem tools, and given official status with good behavior for 4 weeks, you can actually create pretty big and fully fledged bases using the 100 objects you are allowed to place.

I have yet to see an official group actually use these, and I am unsure why, considering it could be a good way to drive for extra safety as well as adding onto the creativity and interest in your settlement RP.

With that being said, I don't think either of these two suggestions will solve anything, it will just drive players away or cause frustration.

Another solution however which has been mentioned before is having S2 on a seperate hive, with an optional seperate map/lore, this would put a lot of extra pressure on the loremasters however, and could even be considered a "Side Project" in a sense, and we all know how those tend to end.

I fully agree with only opening S2 once S1 gets full 

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Another solution however which has been mentioned before is having S2 on a seperate hive, with an optional seperate map/lore

Not a bad idea at all tbh. You might be right about people potentially just waiting until s2 opens and then continue to play. I get that it is extremely hard to find a solution to this but in general this just doesn't feel right. It is honestly just ridiculous seeing S1 being 50/100 and S2 being 50/100. 

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

This was a good idea back when basebuilding wasnt relevant, and RP was directly tied to players and nothing else

IMO the roleplay should always be directly tied to players. Players give roleplay, not wooden walls. I fully understand that people like their bases ect. But again, for me, it just feels like the bases and "smaller settlements" devides the player base in a wrong way. 

But again just my thoughts, thx fam. 

Just now, Voodoo said:

I fully agree with only opening S2 once S1 gets full 

youre doing gods work

17 minutes ago, Rover said:

-sn

All is see from you is that bases are the main factor not to switch what gives? since when have bases become the only source of RP?
Along with that this thread is about the closure of S2 until S1 one fills up along with only allowing approved groups to build bases.

1 hour ago, Blake said:

This is a nice idea, but if we're going to do this, then I personally think these bases shoulde be made in the editor, aproved and then added to the map like they were in the mod. This way we can keep the vanilla base-building for those that wanna create small bases to stash their loot, and official group can have static bases to use for their roleplay. i.e; Military groups can have a small FOB/COP, trader groups can have a small marketplace, etc.

Posted (edited)

I agree, only open S2 if S1 is full.

70 on 1 = more RP = profit

Split = less RP = no profit

Spoiler

Knipsel.PNG.701ca7941410ff9b1395393822916c5f.PNG

We could of had a server of 51 now. Yet we have 2 low pop servers 😞 

Edited by Jackfish

27 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Currently, approved groups are the only ones who can have custom base designs using the BuilderItem tools, and given official status with good behavior for 4 weeks, you can actually create pretty big and fully fledged bases using the 100 objects you are allowed to place.

I have yet to see an official group actually use these, and I am unsure why, considering it could be a good way to drive for extra safety as well as adding onto the creativity and interest in your settlement RP.

I think most people didn't know that this is actually implemented now, myself included.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Eagle said:

All is see from you is that bases are the main factor not to switch what gives? since when have bases become the only source of RP?
Along with that this thread is about the closure of S2 until S1 one fills up along with only allowing approved groups to build bases.

I did not say the only source of RP,  just that they form the hubs on both servers. Ever since base building was implemented they have been the hub of the servers. Duckys post covered the same ground, so I won't cover the same territory. 

Short version: As long as base building is still prevalent for groups (Official or just friends) to make hubs, closing one server off until the other is full is a bad idea. It'll just lead to S2 being the 'going to loot' server again. 

Edited by Rover

7 minutes ago, Descendants said:

I think most people didn't know that this is actually implemented now, myself included.

I'm going to second this. I, and many others in my group, weren't aware this was an available option. Seen it talked of, but never offered.

Also, S2 is just a looting server at this point. When I can't find RP on S1 I can hop on S2 and find anyone just loot running.

Just now, Ke Ke said:

Also, S2 is just a looting server at this point. When I can't find RP on S1 I can hop on S2 and find anyone just loot running.

Not true, I do a lot of RP on S2 and find people all over the western part of the map.

1 minute ago, Descendants said:

Not true, I do a lot of RP on S2 and find people all over the western part of the map.

Let me rephrase myself: I seen more people doing loot runs than RPing on S2, and that is my personal experience.

4 minutes ago, Ke Ke said:

I'm going to second this. I, and many others in my group, weren't aware this was an available option. Seen it talked of, but never offered.

Me and New Dawn are mainly playing on S2 and we find loads of RP throughout the whole map. We play kinda late (EU) though, so I guess it could be dependant on timezones.

Posted (edited)

Just few days back i said it and will say it again. No from me...not at this point where the No. of players is limited by 80 to get stable server. 

Edited by PaulB

The only people who seem to care about the server split are people who are solely on the server to PvP and just PvP groups in general. Obviously it's not just them but it's a trend that I've noticed. Think about it. In a real life scenario, people are making homes where they can.. random contractors and construction workers aren't all going to only be in the big groups in an apocalypse. It makes sense to have random dynamic groups with builders and random bases throughout.

People have bases on different servers.. no one can change that. No one is hiding behind their little wooden walls lol. No hatred here just an opinion but I see where you're coming from I suppose.