Server time (UTC): 2019-11-20, 18:06
Sign in to follow this  
FknSnow

PK/Delete Obvious Troll Characters

Troll Characters  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I've had my fair share of surviving the infection in my almost 300 hours on the server. And there have been quite a few times where my "immersion" in the world is suddenly shattered by a character that is over doing the role they're playing in an annoying and or offensive way. 

For example; someone is playing an Asian character and their accent is what you'd expect out of a borderline racist comedy skit. I've had my fair share of laughs and trolly like moments but these characters are more often breaking other rules because of the personality their character has. Most of the time it carries over to the actual player. 

These Troll characters are still getting away with rule 1.13.13.2, and 4.7 many times over. 

Of course, the staff doesn't have the time or energy to deal with every minor offense or complaint. BUT, I have a feeling that the people who play characters like this will most likely (if they haven't already) form entire groups based off of what they think is funny just so they can have fun. 

What are your experiences with characters like this?

Do you think a change would help the community? 

Edited by FknSnow

Some of the greatest clans in this servers history were filled by people with comedic accents and over the top acting. I'm all for it. 

From my own experience, both as a staff member and a community member, if you find someone portraying a character in a trolly, offensive, or BadRP-esque way, report it.  That way, staff can be notified of what's happening and deal with it accordingly because, as much as we'd like to, we obviously can't monitor literally every person on the server to see who is using the borderline racist Asian accent or trolling through there character.

However, we absolutely do work to weed out any blatant troll characters that we can based off of character page alone, so rest assured on that front.  But, back in specific reference to the rules you cited, if you feel someone is breaking a rule in an encounter with you, you're always welcome to report it.

I've have people love my character and people hate my character.... I'd rather not get a character deleted because one person didn't like my character.

Lmao let people rp what they want to, im not gonna change how i rp because of your immersion is "shattered", just deal with it 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)

I frankly think OP has a point to some extend in a general sense.

Now I didn't have this problem myself a lot, a lot of this is subjective (this means, someone might totally think it's possible or fine, another already thinks it's unrealistic or annoying, trolly, etc) and up for debate. I also don't even think it's accents (alone). For me it would mostly be behavior.

People should just ask themselves: Am I doing stupid shit with my character that would realistically get me killed because people are annoyed by it? If I did this before, how could I get away with it? I get debating this is almost a moot point because some (subjectively!) "trolly behavior" might stem from the simple fact you are too much influenced by game mechanics and not actually fearing for your characters life, players themselves not putting sufficient thought into their characters because they focus on other things and more.

The working compromise I could see is if something bugs you, deal with it IC when possible and if it becomes really stupid and breaking all levels of suspension of disbelief, report it.

To recap:

1 hour ago, FknSnow said:

What are your experiences with characters like this?

Do you think a change would help the community?  

Actually little or few but that doesn't have to say much, I was rarely in hubs or so where you run into many characters. I currently do not think we need a specific change, if something really becomes so questionable that you can hardly explain it from a lore / IC / IG perspective and if you can assume the player isn't trying to be "realistic" (however you want to define this), report it. Or deal with it IC.

If it's just an accent and a bit of a cliché behaviour, I think that's fine. You can survive that, even if you don't like it. Or you can act IC. That's always something you can do or consider.

Edited by Combine

troll characters tend to ruin really good rp 

this proposal doesnt make sense because then what defines a character as a "troll" character. who gets to determine what is a troll and what isnt. It would make everyone be forced to have boring ass characters. I've run into plenty of these people you have describe and they make me laugh my ass off and have a great time. Way better than your typical "i was a US marine and my helicopter crashed now I have to act all gung ho and make small talk with every player I find"

7 minutes ago, Gatorr said:

this proposal doesnt make sense because then what defines a character as a "troll" character. who gets to determine what is a troll and what isnt. It would make everyone be forced to have boring ass characters. I've run into plenty of these people you have describe and they make me laugh my ass off and have a great time. Way better than your typical "i was a US marine and my helicopter crashed now I have to act all gung ho and make small talk with every player I find"

This ^

Ure obviously butthurt about something/someone. Let people be whoever they want.

I’m still of the opinion that people take themselves and RP way to seriously here, so no.

The issue with this is, say you met a character with an asian accent you find trolly. What if that's the best they can do? What if they're trying really hard because they wanted to play an asian character and you're brushing them off as "trolly" because you dont like it?

I've had loads of fun with characters people call "trolly" and run away from.
IMO if you don't like someones RP, leave. If you think it somehow is trolly, report it.

Theres such a grey area when it comes to "trolly" RP.

Posted (edited)

This debate has turned into a Opinion based matter, A character is trolly if you here by say its trolly. Whether you RP as a Asian with a stutter, or speaking third person and what not. Now a actual trolling avatar would be Roleplaying as a sasquatch or a brick. otherwise everything else i really dont care about we've had super soldiers and gun obessed hillbillys for god sake, If they are not qualified as trolly then nothing should be. Immersion isnt based on serious behaviour but is based on what you find immersive. If you cant handle people havin a laugh or be stupid or trying to make the game entertaining. then i will say this Community aint for you.

Edited by Pirate

Agree with this. Im tired of the Trolly characters. They usually turn out to be PvP players and less RP anyway. I say get rid of them and let's have realistic characters. 

of course its subjective, as im sure some people actually do troll and play shitty characters on purpose, but alot of these so called trolly characters are just people trying to be creative. if from your point of view this character is "trolly" and is "ruining your RP" then that means that you need to adapt to the situation better and RP better. (as long as the offender isnt breaking the rules). i think of it like galileo. i bet everyone in that time thought galileo was so damn weird for saying this weird(trolly) shit about astronomy and shit, but in the end he was right all along. point is if you ever feel like your in a situation where your rp is being ruined, try to put it into perspective, put yourself in the other persons shoes and give them a chance.

Naw let em rp how they want, I've met great rpers who in character play racist characters, or mentally challenged characters or what have you.  Buckley Bang, and Juggs are two that come to mind for me.  I see it as a way to continue the immersion, not everyone is gonna be some smart, or nice guy or gal, and it adds flavor to the roleplay rather then someone being either example A- A chernorussian who hates foreigners, or B- Some military person of some origin country here to do military shit.

40 minutes ago, Juice Hand said:

of course its subjective, as im sure some people actually do troll and play shitty characters on purpose, but alot of these so called trolly characters are just people trying to be creative. if from your point of view this character is "trolly" and is "ruining your RP" then that means that you need to adapt to the situation better and RP better. (as long as the offender isnt breaking the rules). i think of it like galileo. i bet everyone in that time thought galileo was so damn weird for saying this weird(trolly) shit about astronomy and shit, but in the end he was right all along. point is if you ever feel like your in a situation where your rp is being ruined, try to put it into perspective, put yourself in the other persons shoes and give them a chance.

I’m glad you referenced Galileo here, you beat me too it, I was about to use the “Galileo was a troll” during his time metaphor too but you beat me too it

The issue is indeed subjectivity and grey areas.

But I am sure that eventually, a portrayal is crossing a certain threshold where basically anyone can agree it is trolly or meme-y, unrealistic, whatever.

3 hours ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

They usually turn out to be PvP players and less RP anyway. . 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d3468bb6a4d2e5955

Yikes. People who PVP can be some of the best roleplayers too, stop being a hater. honestly that opinion right there is what's wrong with this community. 

To the OP: Not everyone can be perfect with accents so people try their best just because it my be stereotypical doesn't mean they're out there to be trolls. Enjoy RP let people do accents how they want good or bad at least they're trying to be different otherwise 90% of the people you would run into would be American and that can't really help with your immersion can it? 

I play an Asian character and everyone loves him? It's not all about military men walking round, I play a comedic relief for some people and i get props for it. And that the troll characters are "PvP" idk where that's even come from but i think you needa play a bit more and pay attention to what others think

Even though the question asked for the poll is biased it's good to see that a majority this far has voted no. 

Who defines what is trollRP? For some it can be an accent and for some trollRP has to be a little more obvious.

this ain't gonna help the community, this feels more like just slamming down on fun and creative characters because "muh immersion" I ain't about it.  Also as Prince said some of the best groups this server's had have been over the top, makes them stand out and more interesting to interact with then the usual generic survivor shtick.

Posted (edited)

If their RP isn't trolly or falls under bad RP then why? 

Edited by Eagle

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Agree with this. Im tired of the Trolly characters. They usually turn out to be PvP players and less RP anyway. I say get rid of them and let's have realistic characters. 

People that are labelled 'PvP players' also got group of the year in 2017, so lets not act as if because someone is better at aiming that their ability to RP is any worse.

Only time characters should be deleted is if they're actually troll characters, dumb shit listed on the backstory etc just to make the quota. Nothing else.

Edited by Mexi

I agree to delete troll characters. Characters for example that aren't realistic, are memes, etc.

What you described in the original post isn't a troll character; Its someone playing an overly stereotypical asian. This is no more trolley then the guys running around playing stereotypical super-soldiers, russian FOR THE MOTHERLAND characters, muslim extremists, etc. The fact you don't like how someone portrays their character doesn't make it trolling. If the person can realistically portray their trope (IE: extremist muslims that /actually/ know large swaths of the quran, muslim faith and ideology, and the sharia law they are enforcing) then they aren't being trolly.

If you feel they are so bad they are breaking the rules of bad rp, then you are welcome to report them.

I agree to deleting OBVIOUS troll characters. Emphasis on obvious because I'm talking about characters that literally make no sense like undead monsters or robots or ridiculous backstories that defy logic.