Server time (UTC): 2019-12-07, 23:06 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
FknSnow

Non-lethal Bullets/Weapons

Non-lethal ammo/weapons  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

There are plenty of peaceful groups going around and doing their thing. When it comes to taking down threats, these peaceful and or pacifist groups don't have any choice but to eliminate their foes. Which could be entirely against their morals, but they have absolutely no choice unless they wish to be wiped out first. 

A range of non-lethal bullets (maybe a non-lethal specialized weapon or two) would help a lot in the world of peace and peaceful interrogation for those who wish to defend themselves this way. 

These bullets/weapons could incapacitate just as easily as normal bullet(s) but keep the receiver of said bullet unconscious long enough to be intercepted. Along with this suggestion by @DieselTheSnowMan, and the ability to restrain the unconscious.. It would add many more options to the PvP scene rather than just destroying people immediately (although that will always still be the most popular option).

Opinions? Suggestions on how this could be fleshed out further? 

Edited by FknSnow
Added poll, fixed link and user mention

i feel like rubber bullets would be cool but adding it in for almost every gun would be a little to much 

Posted (edited)

If I recall correctly this has been suggested before and unfortunately it's just not that simple.

While one of our devs may be able to clarify, the health system in DayZ no longer functions as it used to. Health and blood level exclusively govern consciousness now, instead of the previously hidden shock stat. Meaning that any bullet added is in fact lethal and non lethal variations are relatively impossible to add.

Of course, things may have changed recently, I'm not sure.

Edited by Baron

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Baron said:

If I recall correctly this has been suggested before and unfortunately it's just not that simple.

While one of our devs may be able to clarify, the health system in DayZ no longer functions as it used to. Health and blood level exclusively govern consciousness now, instead of the previously hidden shock stat. Meaning that any bullet added is in fact lethal and non lethal variations are relatively impossible to add.

Of course, things may have changed recently, I'm not sure.

Schock pistol and dart pistol was planned if im not mistaken yet how far are DayZ devs with this im not sure.

Edited by PaulB

33 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Schock pistol and dart pistol was planned if im not mistaken yet how far are DayZ devs with this im not sure.

Yes, but that was showcased back in 2016 when the original health system still existed. They may likely rework it and once its implemented our devs may be able to reverse engineer how it works and apply it to another weapon. 

I would LOVE non-lethal alternatives. I'm curious to know if something like tear gas could be implemented. Obviously tear gas irl causes a lot of pain and that's its main purpose, and since you cant really do something like that over a game it would possibly just obscure your vision similar to a flash-bang.

Given the way the new health system works, I think its possible to just lower the lethal/health damage, and increase the 'shock' value so that players get put unconscious instead of killed.

Could be a variant shotgun ammunition for 'bean bags' or 'rubber bullets' that have a greater chance to incapacitate.

As for an actual shock weapon, I don't know if we have the animations in place for that the Devs could use?

+1 I've been wanting tasers and other incapacitating items for a while now. Makes it easier to do hostage RP because now you can work your way up to an execution if someone is unruly instead of just giving someone 23 1/2 chances not to fuck up before you ice them.

+1 for tasers yes please if possible 

flashballs from the French terror police

+1 For me as well, mostly for the non lethal weapons such as tasers. I don't really trust non lethal bullets, I have a feeling they will glitch out a lot of the time and kill you anyways (A bit like the current flashbang)

1010% this! Yes, please!

Mass's Many Items Overhaul on the Workshop adds in beanbag rounds that can be fired from a shotgun. They deal shock damage, which means they'll knock you out instead of killing you. It also adds in a ton of other cool stuff.

Tranq Guns and Tasers are currently in the game files with their 3D models and ammo/magazines.

However, they do not work.

Eventually when they get to a point of working, we may be able to look into how they work, and then we could maybe try working on beanbag ammo and the likes 😉  but that is far in the future, and entirely dependant on Bohemia.

@Jman14102 Also is that the case? If so then give me... A bit.. 😉 

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Tranq Guns and Tasers are currently in the game files with their 3D models and ammo/magazines.

However, they do not work.

Eventually when they get to a point of working, we may be able to look into how they work, and then we could maybe try working on beanbag ammo and the likes 😉  but that is far in the future, and entirely dependant on Bohemia.

@Jman14102 Also is that the case? If so then give me... A bit.. 😉 

Maybe if you can get the model and ammo in you could make their value a very high shock damage amount, enough to insta knockout?

Or is it even not in a working state for that?

6 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Also is that the case? If so then give me... A bit.. 😉 

Yes, it is. However they have a very high chsnce of doing nothing. Honestly in my exp they don't work, but I dont know if this is still the case. 

41 minutes ago, FireDude said:

Yes, it is. However they have a very high chsnce of doing nothing. Honestly in my exp they don't work, but I dont know if this is still the case. 

I've looked into how projectiles work and how they are defined in the game, and I believe I may be able to accomplish a beanbag round.

Imma experiment with it today 😉 

18 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I've looked into how projectiles work and how they are defined in the game, and I believe I may be able to accomplish a beanbag round.

Well shit gl, enjoy messing with the Dayz code. 

22 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Duckypls. There's literally only so many beanz I can give you.

20190719204408_1.jpg.81fef2c5292338bc83db78ff58fe4eee.jpg

This is as far as I have come, however I cannot fully test them unless I have some players who are willing to be test bunnies and get knocked out 😉 

I have tested them on zombies, and they indeed deal no damage, the question is if they deal shock damage? And if they do, do they deal enough? Or perhaps too much?

I'm gonna see if Rolle can put my little test out so we can see.

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

20190719204408_1.jpg.81fef2c5292338bc83db78ff58fe4eee.jpg

This is as far as I have come, however I cannot fully test them unless I have some players who are willing to be test bunnies and get knocked out 😉 

I have tested them on zombies, and they indeed deal no damage, the question is if they deal shock damage? And if they do, do they deal enough? Or perhaps too much?

I'm gonna see if Rolle can put my little test out so we can see.

pay me in beanZ and I’m all yours....