Server time (UTC): 2019-09-21, 10:05
Sign in to follow this  
Mak

10 shekels to whoever fixes my PC

My computer has recently started freezing and/or crashing whenever I start a game (either right away or after a couple of minutes). I've updated my Driver, cleaned the inside of my computer, ran my antivirus, deleted all the unnecessary files, tried most of the shit on the internet yet it still happens.

Symbolic reward of 10€ to whoever helps me fix this.

Posted (edited)

What is the temp of your CPU? Might be an overload on some of the driver's that makes it give up.

Edited by Eagle

What do you mean when you say "freezing and/or crashing"?  I had an issue similar to this where my computer would just instantly enter it's restart cycle when I played a game that was too intensive, and it turned out to be my power supply failing to power both my CPU and GPU under load at the same time.

I'd recommend downloading some benchmarking tools, one for GPU and one for CPU, then playing around with that to simulate power draw from each similar to an actual game and seeing if that causes the crash.  Could be the same issue.

Are we talking about the PC in your Milan house or the one on the yacht?

Don't you have a laptop? Buy a PC simple.

You overclocking?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Antivirus?

Delete that shit, unless it's the one built in Windows.

Thank me later.

Weak memes.

@PerilMy knowledge about PC-related stuff is the same as my knowledge about football: non-existent. Where would one download such a program?

@Eagletemp is fine

@Major nope

@MakGoogle some GPU/CPU benchmarking programs.  I know Furmark is a decent one for GPU benching, unsure about any free ones for CPUs.  Good luck man!

Posted (edited)

Alright lets go over this shall we?

First of all grab these pieces of software:

CPUZ: Voltage monitor: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Cinebech (cpu stress test): https://www.maxon.net/en/support/downloads/

3Dmark timespy: You can find this one under Steam 3DMark, and then you can download TimeSpy in the 3dmark launcher.

Crystal Disk Mark(HDD/SSD stress test): http://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now what are you going to do with these, while you play, browse and or idle I would like some extensive screenshots from HWMonitor and CPUz.

I would like for you to show me the results of Cinebench, Timespy and Crystal Disk Mark.

I would also like for you to give me the full specs of your computer so that includes brand, and products FULL name for all of these: RAM, CPU, MOTHERBOARD, PSU, GPU, HDD, SSD, CASE, CPU COOLER,  ADDITIONAL FANS, LED LIGHTS.

I'd like to know how many and what SSD's/HDD's you use, your operating system, in essence not a detail too much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can this be?

• Thermal paste might need replacing
  • A cpu core is failing
  • ram stick failing
  • HDD dying
  • SSD dying
  • PSU might be dying and giving an insufficient voltage
  • Your motherboard might be failing
  • Horrendous Windows 10 update not compatible with your PC

The only thing this can't be is your GPU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comeback to me with all the details and test results and I will help you further.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove the Anti Virus, install Malwarebyte and rely on the base windows 10 anti virus, I agree with @Hofer

IT guy in proffession here.

Edited by RedSky

I was serious about the antivirus suggestion though @Mak..

@Mak

I would also like for you to give me the full specs of your computer so that includes brand, and products FULL name for all of these: RAM, CPU, MOTHERBOARD, PSU, GPU, HDD, SSD, CASE, CPU COOLER,  ADDITIONAL FANS, LED LIGHTS.

https://download.cnet.com/Belarc-Advisor/3000-2094_4-10007277.html < ----- Use this for the above, it will get a good amount of them.

Download Belarc Advisor and run that, then post your system specs in here. It will give a lot of the troubleshooters, like @RedSky, the data they need about your system.

14 hours ago, Mak said:

My computer has recently started freezing and/or crashing whenever I start a game (either right away or after a couple of minutes). I've updated my Driver, cleaned the inside of my computer, ran my antivirus, deleted all the unnecessary files, tried most of the shit on the internet yet it still happens.

Symbolic reward of 10€ to whoever helps me fix this.

seriously though just wash it out with some tap water and dry it in the microwave. Quick 10 min job if that should set it right as rain.

Posted (edited)

A'ight thanks to all of you giving me the suggestions but I won't be able to try them for a while 'cause I'm away. As soon as I'm back and attempt the things suggested I'll give an update on what has/hasn't worked.

Edit: I might be able to get a hold of my specs tomorrow, will post them if I can. Ty in the meanwhile @RedSky

Edited by Mak

I know people have given some suggestions below, and as simple as mine may be they might be somewhat helpful. 

First, how much storage is there left on your main drive or any of your drives? Mainly looking to see if you're closing in on the maximum on the drive that your OS is operating on.

Second, have you tried CCleaner? or any Memory Cleaner? Can be useful for some people who have lower specs and need things cleared to keep performance at highest possible.

Third, have you recently installed anything sketchy prior to when this started happening? Try checking your task manager for any suspicious processes running that might be taking of a large percentage of your memory or processor. 

Hope this was helpful.

Hmmm could be an overheat issue or a failing PSU (Power Supply Unit)? I'd immediately go with RedSky and get those HWMonitor and the CPUZ programs for sure and monitor your temps when you start a game.

Not so sure a stress test/benchmark software would be such a good idea personally. If it is an overheat issue, and you stress test, you could do some permanent damage to your hardware which would require you to purchase new parts to replace and fix them, on top of the already possibly existing one.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hunter said:

Hmmm could be an overheat issue or a failing PSU (Power Supply Unit)? I'd immediately go with RedSky and get those HWMonitor and the CPUZ programs for sure and monitor your temps when you start a game.

Not so sure a stress test/benchmark software would be such a good idea personally. If it is an overheat issue, and you stress test, you could do some permanent damage to your hardware which would require you to purchase new parts to replace and fix them, on top of the already possibly existing one.

Hi, Hunter, stress tests help gather data, you can't necessarily harm your PC more then it already is if its a hardware issue.

If it's a failing PSU I suggest replacing it anyway. We need to check off the list of problems and causes, and stress tests are just a really good way of doing it.

The only PC that has ever exploded on me was my own a few weeks back, and that was after 6.5 years of continious running, when the temperatures outside hit 37 degrees celsius one day it just gave out. (The PSU shorted the ATX pin on the motherboard, after it literally melted 😅)

Edited by RedSky

Posted (edited)

So, I'm a bit confused.

Got back home a few hours ago after having been away for more than a week, turned on my PC and have been playing Mordhau for more than an hour without any problems.

Really unsure as to what even happened, before leaving as soon as I turned a game on it'd make the PC crash

Edited by Mak

Update: yesterday it was fine, today it crashes just like a week ago, might just throw it out the window.