Server time (UTC): 2019-11-14, 02:32
Sign in to follow this  
GalloWB

An Issue Of Ghosting and World Breaking

So, base building has been here for awhile now, as has the existance of both a server one and two. This however brings up a, to me atleast, world breaking issue and possible ghosting of people having bases in the same place but on different servers. We are currently facing the dilema of having a base somewhere, and someone building a base in the same spot of S2 (they started after us.) So I ask the simple question of should this be alloud on the server? Sorry this was short and sweet I am very busy but this had to be brought up asap. Let me know what you think.

Did on my phone btw all you grammar bois

Happened to us actually. We have a base on S1, then random people build in the same place on S2 after. It should be a good practice to check the other server when building so that we avoid the weird scenario of 2 people building a base in the same spot. However, nothing stops them from building on a different server so not much we can do.

2 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

Happened to us actually. We have a base on S1, then random people build in the same place on S2 after. It should be a good practice to check the other server when building so that we avoid the weird scenario of 2 people building a base in the same spot. However, nothing stops them from building on a different server so not much we can do.

Yeah, I feel. I don't necessarily blame whoevers doing it to us as it isn't against the rules, even if I think it's world breaking. 

Im obviously biased because I live in the same camp, but I think if this situation were to happen in the future, the action should be 'who was there first?' and then "evicting" the people who got there later without it being any sort of rule break since it will almost guaranteed be an accident.

The only question in my head would be what defines 'first there'. is it a campfire, a tent, or actual walls/towers? and do the walls need to be completed or can they be simply a fence kit or two laid out.

Like Daniels, my view may be biased but I think this brings up a very large issue of guaranteed ghosting. When two bases are built in the same place, on different servers, it will lead to ghosting, whether it's accidental or intentional. This is something that we should try to limit but having a "Who was here first" rule, but like Daniels said it may be hard to determine who was "more there" "first" if that makes any sense.

The better option IMO would obviously be an "honor system" but well, that's not always honored so it really is difficult to conclude this issue.

Easiest solution if people can’t be trusted separate the hives no ghosting/ base mistakes or have one server with base building only.

Perhaps something akin to the Mod era where settlements had to be applied for? I'm reaching a couple of years back but if I recall correctly it was something that was done. Essentially "reserving" the area for their settlement. 

Naturally this does not fix the ghosting issue, as long as S1 and S2 exist on the same hive that will persist in some form. 

I have a few things to say on the matter,

In terms of being a good sport amongst the community, I do believe all players should check the alternate server before building, and believe those who do it are either completely ignorant of the other server, or being bad-sports.

I do feel a rule should be added in regards to camps, and logs of construction (whilst possibly tedious) could make a rule like this enforcable. " x.y When physically constructing a camp, the position must be clear of any other camps on both servers. Building a camp in Pos 1 when there is already one there on S2 is a breach of fair building." at least something along those lines...

In the long run, I'd prefer if proper camps for official groups were made in collaboration with the developers in DayZEditor, and require certain conditions (a thread has been made about this).

There's my 2c, sorry if I droned on. 

Posted (edited)

@OP

When I talk ICly about where a settlement is located, don't matter what server I am on, I roleplay them as one world, so if two different groups build on the same spot on different servers, I would see it as immersion breaking, and will lead to OOC issues as well.

It's not technically against the rules, but I would say it's common-courtesy to not build in the same spot another person or group has built in, on the other server.

This... Let's do this! (below)

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I have a few things to say on the matter,

In terms of being a good sport amongst the community, I do believe all players should check the alternate server before building, and believe those who do it are either completely ignorant of the other server, or being bad-sports.

I do feel a rule should be added in regards to camps, and logs of construction (whilst possibly tedious) could make a rule like this enforcable. " x.y When physically constructing a camp, the position must be clear of any other camps on both servers. Building a camp in Pos 1 when there is already one there on S2 is a breach of fair building." at least something along those lines...

In the long run, I'd prefer if proper camps for official groups were made in collaboration with the developers in DayZEditor, and require certain conditions (a thread has been made about this).

There's my 2c, sorry if I droned on. 

Edited by CamoRP

The last time I blocked off a house, I blocked it off on the other server as well. It doesn't take much effort to do unless you've got some massive base or something. 

1 hour ago, CamoRP said:

I roleplay them as one world

That's how I do it too. It's unfortunate that only like half the server seems to do this, with the other half sticking to one server and treating the other one as some other alternate universe. 

Two simple fixes I see:

1) Block off the other area on the other server if it can be assumed one could decide to build there, e. g. using an existing location to reinforce it and not just build in a random open field where the abstract chance of a mirrored base is lower. If it's resource intensive just focus on a rudimentary block to indicate the place is locked. 

(And or, if that fails) 

2) Mutual respect, possibly refraining from building in the same place, giving "dibs", whatever, if possible. 

15 hours ago, Baron said:

Perhaps something akin to the Mod era where settlements had to be applied for? I'm reaching a couple of years back but if I recall correctly it was something that was done. Essentially "reserving" the area for their settlement. 

Naturally this does not fix the ghosting issue, as long as S1 and S2 exist on the same hive that will persist in some form. 

Im not fond of the idea of applying, I'm not even a big fan of group pages in that regard, but, it would definetly help I cant lie. As for ghosting, my main concern when i say ghosting in this matter is considering they also have a base there, what happenz when they log into the other server? Is it still ghosting? Even if accidental? Of course it is, but, would people see it as such?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GalloWB said:

Im not fond of the idea of applying, I'm not even a big fan of group pages in that regard, but, it would definetly help I cant lie. As for ghosting, my main concern when i say ghosting in this matter is considering they also have a base there, what happenz when they log into the other server? Is it still ghosting? Even if accidental? Of course it is, but, would people see it as such?

Well by definition of the below: 

image.png.c51ec9f9aa5f77431dcf2de6c8564970.png

Absolutely. Generally speaking there has to be a pretty good reason to server hop, and if it falls into any definition of the above it's certainly report worthy. I'm sure some folks will be more understanding than others on the matter, but my only advice would be to avoid logging off in high population areas. The lack of more defined "base building" rules creates a rather sizeable grey area to who's at fault for logging in to an impenetrable base, on one hand the intruding party may have had no way of knowing, but this isn't entirely provable and on the other the defending party hasn't declared their territory, but should they have to? 

Without a staff definition on the subject, one that's incredibly hard to moderate by the way, it's going to be an issue as long as it is left the way it is now. I'm all for the shared hives of S1 and S2 despite the Ghosting issue, it makes things a lot more fluid and fun if you want to RP with certain groups and prevent people from becoming over invested on one server. Despite that there needs to be some more clarity declared regarding this, for sure. Applications while admittedly another OOC roadblock you'd have to jump just to RP, would allow claiming of large settlement areas by groups and these locations to be specifically moderated on both servers within reason. Single player safe houses or small groups might have to be contained to crafting something a little more within their means.

Currently, I've ran across a relatively small group who have crafted a massive fortress. Their example is completely fine as they're not occupying territory with any loot within it but I do think there should be some guidelines on who can build what and where, or perhaps a decay period placed on defences if at all possible? Therefore ensuring people can't overbuild. That or we all simply accept that these mistake or "mistakes" will continue to happen on occasion which we need to decide if we're okay with. 

Edited by Baron

i say just have one server build only 

2 hours ago, aJoogie said:

But then other server would turn into a "Log into, loot and go back to your server"

3 minutes ago, Uranium said:

But then other server would turn into a "Log into, loot and go back to your server"

only if we could have one huge server 

1 hour ago, aJoogie said:

And make the other server loot grind only? Not really. 

My POV is that only solution is having one server only or separate hive yet i dont see that it is necessary.  

If You see your stuff missing....make report  (if ghosting is really only poss. how your stuff could be taken).

Ghosting and checking will be there base bulding on oposite server or not. 

Immersion with playing on both servers is different story. 

4 minutes ago, aJoogie said:

only if we could have one huge server 

We have a dream, one big dream!

1 minute ago, Uranium said:

We have a dream, one big dream!

one big dream of a server that can hold 200+ people

Yes that would do it. Unfortunately DayZ is not even near to 100.

6 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Yes that would do it. Unfortunately DayZ is not even near to 100.

only if, only if

Opinion of a newcomer, so, take it as you wish 😛

My group and another one, started the base building process at the same time. Different servers.

We connected and we will hopefully keep it with good terms. 

If that is the case, we have the benefit of reducing the chances of ghost invasion to the members of each group. 

I do wonder how many people build an unraidable, inaccessible base, where they enter by ghosting from the other server into their own base. There is no rule against it,is it?

While I love the enforcing of the rules in this community, besides 3pp, softcore-settings, catering to big groups and the ooc toxicity, the single hive keeps me away from gathering more hours

8 minutes ago, Achim Birnbaum said:

I do wonder how many people build an unraidable, inaccessible base, where they enter by ghosting from the other server into their own base. There is no rule against it,is it?

While I love the enforcing of the rules in this community, besides 3pp, softcore-settings, catering to big groups and the ooc toxicity, the single hive keeps me away from gathering more hours

Its agaisnt the rules to make an innaccessable base. And its against the rules to even ghost into your own base. The issue I'm stateing is well, I can say I live in place A, but so can the other group that I don't know. So its world breaking when people say "oh so you live with group b?" And im like "what?" Also, some people log in their base but log onto a different server the next they get on and unintentionally ghost into another base.

31 minutes ago, Goa said:

Opinion of a newcomer, so, take it as you wish 😛

My group and another one, started the base building process at the same time. Different servers.

We connected and we will hopefully keep it with good terms. 

If that is the case, we have the benefit of reducing the chances of ghost invasion to the members of each group. 

That may be us actually ima PM you fast.

You have a point but at the same time it is a game that has its limitations. 

Me personally id rather just scrap base building all together and go back to approved bases being built by request to the staff team from approved groups. That would then stop the possibility of bases being built in the same place on 2 different servers.