Server time (UTC): 2019-11-17, 01:31
Sign in to follow this  
andysuter

When does a fun character become trolly?

Would a character that is a cheeky chap and always up for a joke, being sarcastic etc been seen as trolly?

Eg would being held up at gun point but makes a joke about the length of the gunmans barrel be seen as no fear of life etc and likely end up as a report?

I fancy having some fun with a character instead of a super serious person all the time but don’t want to be taken as a troll

Posted (edited)

In my opinion, it all depends on how well you can pull it off.

A character that tries to be deadpool is going to end up in reports for NVFL, because you can only joke so much at barrels end before getting your head (rightfully) blown off.

If you can temper the sarcasm and humor with actual gravity in an appropriate situation, I can't see you ending up in reports and being trolly. It all depends on how well you read the room and situation; this is something that is really too situational to give a good judgement on.

But if you are at barrels end and keep joking and making wisecracks after being told repeatedly to stop? That is a definition of a reason for your captors to kill you.

Edited by Rover

It’s just fun up until you find the person that takes RP in a video game too seriously.

Its trolly when an extremely depressing or seriours part of the Rp they are around is spoiled by them. So be fun when its appropriate but if ya mate just got told he has cancer then dont be fun. 

There's a fine line between comedy and stupidity. 

If you fail to convey the former, people will assume the latter, and that's where you get the NVFL reports in that context. Make sure you can pull off the funnyman well, and people won't mind too much as long as you don't detract value from their RP. Bare in mind it's one of the hardest forms of RP to be consistent with and be taken at all seriously when you actually want to be.

When I do it, I shit talk them/joke around to a certain point before I actually stop. It gets to a point when you need to actually value your characters life and think of the consequences IC and OOC.

A lot of players on this server take things way too serious.  When me and my buddies play here we always RP with a sense of dreaded sarcasm. Particularly when some douche just runs up to you and runs their mouth to be a big man. I am actually surprised no hostilities have not occurred yet with our encounters. Just have fun and let the dice roll as they may.

If someone tries to throw up a report do to humor stating , "This is a apocalypse man... No funny business here." To hell with them I say. I lose no sleep over it.

Match the tone of the RP is all I can say.

Sense someone is making the RP serious and whatnot? Try and match the tone. 

If the RP is light hearted and silly, match that tone as well. It's not hard to tell the tone of what is going on when something is happening. Say you rock up all jokes, and get treated bluntly and stoically then you know it's likely not the place for banter and joking around. But if they're more jovial then you know a cheeky joke here and there will be fine. 

Just got to find a balance. I'd say I can get pretty ridiculous but I can pull it off. Depends on the hostage takers and what they are after. If it's torture RP you can quip all you like because they don't want to kill you. If there robbing you saying a quip will likely get a gun put in your face. At least from my experience.

Do what you want when you wanna and this game will be much more enjoyable. Don’t worry about elitism rp

RP is trolly when you can tell the person is specifically attempting to satirize a serious situation without regard to others around him.

But the exception is if your group jokes about and pisses around on the daily, isn't doing any serious roleplay and wants it to be that way, I wouldn't consider this trolly.

However, if an individual or a group attempts to fuck around and meme in a serious scenario, this would not only be trolly, but downright disrespectful.

Calling @Jackfish for his POV 😉

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Brayces said:

Match the tone of the RP is all I can say.

Can't stretch how important this is.

While playing on the server you will find different sorts of people that present different sorts of playstyles. Some will enjoy a more relaxed, laid back RP, some will push for more serious, character-driven RP, some will go for a combination of the 2 and so on. The list is long as is the variety of people playing on the server. Understanding that people have these different playstyles and adapting yours a bit to theirs in order to create a more engaging scenario is the way to go.

I played comedic characters before with the main goal of adding that bit of entertainment and amusement to the situation. It's not too hard to realise whether or not people enjoy your presence. If people engage in conversation with you and react to your jokes or whatever then it means that they must enjoy it. If they seem a bit confused or hesitant of what is presented to them then maybe tone it down a bit or try and go on the serious route. Even though you play a comedic character it doesn't mean you can't have some serious character development from time to time.

Idk why I got so serious all of a sudden.

Edited by AndreyQ

It becomes trolly when you begin treating this server like CSGO VOIP. Have fun getting clapped if you run around being sarcastic to every person you see.

As others have said, gauge the seriousness of the situation. I know certain people will disagree, but other people's RP is just as important as your own.

Rule #1: Know your audience.

Tailor your performance to the viewer. You can be a funny man without being a fool.

Posted (edited)

Since Admin @Osku called me in for my POV I will post it here.

I think RP becomes trolly when you get the feeling you are in a random csgo surf server and not in Chernarus. Something that happened in that barn @Osku.

Do whatever you want but I strongly suggest you dont follow @Diamond's advice. If everyone did what they wanted this server would turn into a PvP troll server + there is a high chance you will get reported. 

+ I rather have a server full of elite RPers then a server full of people who dont take RP serious. There are public servers for that.

But to answer your question @andysuter, would your character make a joke about someones barrel when they point a firearm at you? A firearm that could kill David Abrahams?

Ofcours guns are pretty common in Chernarus so some people would not think much of the situation if it happened 100 times to them already. Just make sure that you don't continue to make jokes if you notice the other party is trying to have a serious RP session with you. And if you continue then accept the permakill 😉 

- Jack 

Edited by Jackfish

30 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

Since Admin @Osku called me in for my POV I will post it here.

I think RP becomes trolly when you get the feeling you are in a random csgo surf server and not in Chernarus. Something that happened in that barn @Osku.

Do whatever you want but I strongly suggest you dont follow @Diamond's advice. If everyone did what they wanted this server would turn into a PvP troll server + there is a high chance you will get reported. 

+ I rather have a server full of elite RPers then a server full of people who dont take RP serious. There are public servers for that.

But to answer your question @andysuter, would your character make a joke about someones barrel when they point a firearm at you? A firearm that could kill David Abrahams?

Ofcours guns are pretty common in Chernarus so some people would not think much of the situation if it happened 100 times to them already. Just make sure that you don't continue to make jokes if you notice the other party is trying to have a serious RP session with you. And if you continue then accept the permakill 😉 

- Jack 

You can roleplay how you like that’s why it’s called a roleplay server. Your roleplay shouldn’t be dictated by people who report everyone for everything on the server 

Having the correct tone in my opinion. Ultimately, we are in the apocalypse, the funniest of people will have downtime and have some own grievances. My fine line is whether someone is trying to make a character laugh or the player laugh. If you are trying to make the player laugh, I notice there's a lot of over-the-top comedy and very in-your-face style of playing. Sometimes people might allude to OOC things or bugs in the game to make a player laugh. That's what I would personally say what becomes trolly. 

On the other hand, a funny character is one who understands the gravity of the situation they are in. They understand they can die, the world they are in, and their audience. I think the audience is the most important thing, if no one is laughing, don't keep pushing it. Typical rule of comedy is just to know your audience. If your character is with a bunch of your friends, have a laugh, go crazy. But if that same person comes across some people crying, don't be an absolute dick the entire time. It can come off, especially in your delivery, as in really poor taste (OOC and IC)

However, the most important thing is to know your audience. If no one IC is laughing to your characters, tone it down a bit. Everyone (meaning the majority) is here for a fun and interesting story, make sure you are fulfilling that at the end of the day.

To reply to some people

3 hours ago, Squillium said:

It’s just fun up until you find the person that takes RP in a video game too seriously.

I personally don't agree with this statement. This server is meant to be built on serious RP, if we didn't want that, there are many places that offer a very lax standard of RP. I think the majority of us came here for seriousness in game. I wouldn't just blame the other side, both sides can have their issues. Some people do take it far too seriously, but some people push it way too harshly.

3 hours ago, Diamond said:

Do what you want when you wanna and this game will be much more enjoyable. Don’t worry about elitism rp

I wouldn't agree. There should always be a standard of RP to follow and then to better that. There was someone who wanted to RP as an android, that definitely wasn't allowed. We have rules and standards (albeit lax) of RP for a reason. Not everyone should just do what you want if it breaks the lore, ruins the environment or situation of RP for not story-building sake, if the characters have no purpose or reason to be doing anything, there's a lot of things you shouldn't really do. Comedy is subjective. But to chalk it up to elitism RP, that sounds more like just blame the other side, we're doing it right. 

Either side of RP have the pros and cons, blame is to be shared onto both sides. Don't think in extrospection for why something might be wrong. Rarely is introspection done to better the RP on the server. 

Posted (edited)

You can be "trolly" while still taking the RP seriously. A lot of people are just stuck up on their high horse thinking that their own roleplay is the gold standard.

This is a videogame, a shitty videogame at that, so I think a lot of people need to relax a bit about rules and reports and getting people banned, and focus more on having fun and doing cool shit in game. I'm not calling for the absolute lax when it comes to allowing humorous or silly roleplay, but there's a very clear and obvious line when the RP goes too far (ie the RP turns sexual or focuses on bodily functions).

I'm also not calling for everyone to start being silly and dumb, I just mean I wish people would lower their expectations a little bit and lower their strictness for what is or isn't "good RP". Also if the "trolling" stays completely in character and doesn't make mention to game mechanics or OOC things, I think it's mostly fine as long as it doesn't cross the lines I mentioned.

Edited by Dusty

I've been playing Clyde for about 2 years now, although Clyde isn't a very serious character I try to treat the character that way. For as long as I've played him I've always been studying how autism works and I've been told by many that I portray it very realistic as someone who isn't autistic. 

Some could say it's a troll character but at the same time I've never been reported for BadRP for roleplaying as him.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually had an ex player in mind who i personally think is a legend even though ive never met him. He actually got perma banned for some OOC stuff but im more interested in his character. I personally found this character to be a breath of fresh air in all the doom and gloom and found myself laughing so hard while watching the Rp. 

What are peoples thoughts. I had wanted to try and do a clone (as best i could) of the type of RP this guy did

This guy had amazing characters too, and they were very funny imo.

Just now, Jackfish said:

This guy had amazing characters too, and they were very funny imo.

exactly, but does the community consider them Trolly or just good fun

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, andysuter said:

What are peoples thoughts. I had wanted to try and do a clone (as best i could) of the type of RP this guy did

But that's not trolly at all? He is just great, he is funny! XD!

In my opinion, not everybody can say or do everything in RP. Same as in real life.

Some people can throw you an insult and they will sound funny! Others will sound hateful. You have to test... ask for feedback to make sure... but try it!

I am sure that I could never try! XD!

PS. I read that this guy got permabanned? That's such a loss for the community... I wish that this and many other permabanned people could come back... 😞

Edited by William89