Server time (UTC): 2021-02-27, 21:50
Sign in to follow this  
NotSoGr8Britton

The Memoirs of R.J. Kapelos

Entry #1

It’s been far too long since I’ve felt the sweet release that comes with putting pen to paper. Writing used to give me such peace. Nothing mattered except one man, a pen, a piece of paper and possibilities that only ended as far as one’s imagination stretched.

But alas, there is almost no time for such pleasantries anymore.

My mind continues to race, with my only thoughts about finding Ava and bringing her back into my arms. My poor, sweet daughter. So full of life and innocence before this cursed outbreak. I only hope I can one day see her face and smile again to once again bring warmth to my ever freezing heart.

I can only hope that I find her safely and extract my revenge on the man who took her.

But these thoughts and actions only remain in my head for now.

My journey to find her continues.

Things have taken quite a turn recently, hopefully for the better. It feels like an eternity since I last joined up with any group for a significant amount of time. Unfortunately, as with the rest of the people I seem to meet, they met their untimely end as I was out gathering food and water.

But I did come across a friendly soul once again. 

Near Berezino I ran into a woman named Phoenix (she never did tell me how to spell her name). She helped me find a water pump to help quench my thirst.

As we exchanged pleasantries, a voice carried across the wind. 

“I am watching you.”

Chills ran down my spine.

We both ran, deciding it would be best to not stick around to find out if it was just our imagination or not. Can never be too careful these days.

But she allowed me to tag along and it was nice to have a conversation with someone other than the walls and chickens I pass on my journeys.

It wasn’t until her allies were nearly there that she revealed herself as the leader of the group known as the Wolf Pack.

To say I was caught off-guard would be an understatement.

But in the end, their kindness proved to know no bounds. They fed me, watered me and allowed myself, a scraggly looking drifter, to tag along as they headed back to base.

We travelled to castles and the forest and as their group grew and the joked started flowing it made me realize something.

I miss people.

While they allowed me to latch on until their base, they wouldn’t let me in. But one cannot blame them, we had just met and trust seems to be the rarest form of currency in this new world.

I travelled north as far as I felt comfortable going, but would once again find no one, leaving me victim to my thoughts once again.

As I write this, gunfire rings out but I cannot waver in my journey.

I will continue to search for you my sweet daughter.

Because if a father cannot keep his child safe, what point is there to continue living?

”So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby)

Edited by NotSoGr8Britton

Sign in to follow this