Server time (UTC): 2019-07-19, 04:43
Sign in to follow this  
andysuter

Playing as the opposite sex

How many RP’ers play as G.I.R.L (guy in real life) or vice versa.

On the public servers I used to play as a woman as I figured if I was going to look at a toon all day it would one I thought was attractive haha (speaking from a Hetro viewpoint obviously!)

But on the RP forums ive picked up a vibe that this is frowned upon and I can kind of see why as it could break the immersion if an old woman walks up to your camp then starts talking like a WWE Wrestler.

Do people do it, do they avoid it, do you use voice changers etc?

Posted (edited)

The reason people don't like it is that it can be seen as trolly.

Especially when Barry with the Baritone Voice comes up going 'Hey there' with a voice that would work best in backwoods Deliverance, but is walking around as a female character model in a pink dress saying he is a girl.

Other people don't like it because RP'rs that play characters not their gender (And there are more then a few RL ladies playing guys, too) will occasionally use type-RP instead of voice-RP and some people just frown on type-RP in general. 

I've never heard someone use a voice changer. Or to be more accurate, I don't know if I have ever heard someone use a voice changer except for that dude that sounded like Darth Vader.

Edited by Rover

Just now, Rover said:

-snip-

I think as stated here you best bet is to text rp or find voice changer, though im pretty sure most voice changers sound horrible. Im sure ive come across people who are playing girls and used type instead its a pretty common thing. 

Posted (edited)

I would never RP as a girl. Think its a bit cringe to RP as a girl if you are a guy but thats my opinion.

But if people use a good voice changer or type then I do not see the problem.

Just before people start to hate on my ass: I dont have anything against people who RP as a different sex.

Edited by Jackfish

@Ron  @Conor

I have huge respect for players who play as the opposite sex properly. I dont find it cringy at all.

From my experience, more players do it properly than poorly.

3 minutes ago, Terra said:

@Ron  @Conor

I have huge respect for players who play as the opposite sex properly. I dont find it cringy at all.

From my experience, more players do it properly than poorly.

that ^^

Hopefully i wasn't cringe when I played my chars 😄 

For the longest time I would only play male characters, as I am male IRL.

One day I was making a new character and decided to make the character a woman and since then, I think most if not all of my characters since then have been female. I have really enjoyed it and at the time it was one of the few changes I could make to the character that was really different and took me out of my comfort zone, forcing me to try new things.

I use text RP and do not use a voice changer. I used to text RP a lot even when I played male characters for many reasons, mostly because I enjoy text RP. When I played male characters I would usually only use voice for situations that really required it (initiations, yelling at hostages or passing information that is required faster than I can type).  I can type rather fast which alleviates the usual problem people find with text RPers of them taking too slow to communicate.

I have thought about using a voice changer but have never tried it out. There is only one person in the community who I have witnessed using a voice changer effectively and in a non-trolly way and that is @SatansNightOut back in the days of the ArmA 2 mod for DayZRP. He's a fantastic roleplayer who played a character called Amy Strange but the voice changer was used very sparingly which I think is the reason it worked. It would only be used for a short sentence or word every now and then, a whistle or other sound one might make with their mouth. If I were to try out using a voice changer that is the path I would go down however at the present time, I am quite content with 100% text RP.

I know several people who RP as females whilst being male IRL. They almost always textRP and it's done pretty expertly. The only time it's not done well is when someone tries to VoIP and they know the don't sound the part and proceed to ham it up being trolly and cringe. IE; lots of sexual talk, stating they're trans(and using it in a derogatory way), stating they're a hooker or similar, etc. Usually those are newer players who accidentally spawn in as the wrong model and cannot for the life of them RP out of a situation like that. But people who actively try to RP as women, who make a well thought out character and put effort into it do it well and the immersion isn't broken. 

Posted (edited)

I play the opposite sex, a male. Some of the best rp I've been involved in. But I don't use a voice changer, I text rp. When I first started it was hard but get use to it very quick. I most of the times, create a file on characteristics of the people I role play as. It helps me to remain in character and keep an eye on how someone would react in my opinion.

I've played quite a few male characters and most of them lasted in long & detailed story lines.   

Ngl, some voice changers I've heard ig were cringe af. If you use something like that make sure you have some ppl around you to get feedback from, before you traumatize community members in the servers, being a female robot looking for love.

Edited by Ron

TextRP. 

If you wanna go the extra mile use a voice changer but please, please, please for the love of god get some opinions on your voice changer setup BEFORE you take it ingame.

The last thing I want is chipmunks

I played as a mute female, quite difficult and honestly not recommended for everyone because it was total pain.

It honestly hurt my soul, but after a while I found it fun, especially shooting a doctor in the foot and then brandishing a knife after it.

Here's my thing with it, your friends will roast you. A lot.

IF you're thinking of doing it, do the voice changer or learn how to textRP effectively

Most people (me included) see it as "cringey" because people often don't use voice changers when they play a female character. Making the whole thing badRP. 

But if you don't use voice then you're TextRP'ig which is a whole new issue entirely.  

If the voice changer is good enough i don't see a problem, from an RP perspective anyway. 

1 minute ago, NozzyRP said:

Most people (me included) see it as "cringey" because people often don't use voice changers when they play a female character. Making the whole thing badRP. 

But if you don't use voice then you're TextRP'ig which is a whole new issue entirely.  

If the voice changer is good enough i don't see a problem, from an RP perspective anyway. 

Did i understand correct that textrp is badrp in your opinion? Or did i read it wrong?

Do what you want, of course, but it's difficult to portray properly. 

Voice changers, and I've met plenty of those, feel really cringy and fake if I'm being honest, they sound mechanical, and are super obvious from the get-go.

Text-rp is probably the better alternative, but then you're sort of stuck, everything starts moving unbearably slow, can't speak while walking or fighting etc, not dynamic.

6 minutes ago, Terra said:

Did i understand correct that textrp is badrp in your opinion? Or did i read it wrong?

I think Nozzy was referring to another thread that was discussing Textrp and its benefits/issues and wasn't stating it was bad rp.

Just to clarify, im not thinking of rping a female. I was just curious as all the guys I meet in game sound like guys and all the girls sound like female.

9 minutes ago, Terra said:

I did not go into that issue since it was a whole different one. But yes textRP is immersion breaking when you're talking to someone, then there is a 10 second pause for them to type out the answer. So for me the best option I see (if you want to play the opposite sex) is to use a voice changer

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NozzyRP said:

I did not go into that issue since it was a whole different one. But yes textRP is immersion breaking when you're talking to someone, then there is a 10 second pause for them to type out the answer. So for me the best option I see (if you want to play the opposite sex) is to use a voice changer

Thanks. I disagree & I define BadRP very differently, but we dont need to have the same opinion. TextRP is not "issue".

For over 2 years I play with two TextRP'ers. The best RP I had so far. The most people who use TextRP, or text for emotes, are very quick when typing. For me, TextRP and using emotes in Text, is actually more immersive then using only voice. It adds more in depth emotions and can show a situation in a different light and can set the mood for the situation.

Edited by Terra

My stance is it shouldn't make a difference.

I know Ron text RPs, and the only reason I knew that the character gender didn't match the player gender was from people on the forum outright saying that was the case. Otherwise I would have never known, which is how it should be. 

The only problem I ever have with it is when its obvious... And the only time that comes up is when you are roleplaying with someone that is probably not well suited to the task. Bad voice-actor, overly sexual conversation because the only thing they know about playing a woman is flirting, and other such issues. Memey stuff. 

I like text-RP, but on this game a lot of the time it can be difficult. Especially if you are trying to move from A to B or during hostilities.

3 minutes ago, NozzyRP said:

That completely depends on the person who is RPing and how fast they can type. As I said in my earlier post, I have used textRP on nearly all of my characters both male and female so I have become quite adept at typing fast.

For me the most immersion breaking thing about text RP is when I type something to someone and then the person reads my line of text out loud before responding... or when someone tells me that my mic is broken and I am passing them notes 😄

Text rp it so it’s not cringe and aids 

I've played as a girl. Let me be the first to say it seems like a good idea, but TextRP is the fucking worst. Honestly I fucking regret TextRPING. It's dead. It got to the point where I used my blatantly male voice but tried turning it into a female voice. It just isn't fun. 

Posted (edited)

I played a male character (actually my very first character here) since I joined and only recently I created a female character. Yes, I was aware of community's stance on it but I decided to try it anyway. I admit, I was scared at first. I was trying a character I've never played before, both a woman and with a complete hearing loss. I was dependent on a feedback from friends and people I've encountered. I'm not going to say for myself cause obviously I'm always terrified that I'm doing something wrong but so far reception from the people I've RPed with in the past month was mostly positive. Some people here don't like TextRP cause "it takes 10 seconds or more to receive response" and it does but with characters like mine it feels natural. She mostly communicates by writing in her notebook. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was hesitant at first but people I've met and interacted with encourage me to push this character forward and actually try to better myself at TextRP. 

So to answer OP question - people do it a lot sometimes. I even encountered weird opinions that its okay for a woman to RP as a man but vice versa is seen as something weird. No, I'm not going to use a voice changer because 1)they are hard to set up 2)they dont sound natural and 3)my voice is really deep so it would sound weird as hell.

Edited by Tewudin
Grammar fixes

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Terra said:

Thanks. I disagree & I define BadRP very differently, but we dont need to have the same opinion. TextRP is not "issue".

For over 2 years I play with two TextRP'ers. The best RP I had so far. The most people who use TextRP, or text for emotes, are very quick when typing. For me, TextRP and using emotes in Text, is actually more immersive then using only voice. It adds more in depth emotions and can show a situation in a different light and can set the mood for the situation.

Id agree with this also (although this is drifting from the original question). ive seen some great text RP and a lot of the experienced rp'ers ive met that have blown me away with their RP skills use both text and voice. (text to supplement their actions). 

Im voice only, im pretty terrible at it and I feel im not a patch on some of the better texters ive met although I agree it can slow down some interactions if its just text only

Edited by andysuter

Text RP used to be a great way of roleplaying back when there literally was no way of roleplaying with voice. Today however with the tools we have available to us I believe the best way of roleplaying is by using voice for talking, making noises and screams when appropriate, while still maintaining text RP for emoting stuff, or describing what your character is doing if this action is not already present as an emote in the game.

Now to not derail the thread too much I believe playing as the opposite sex is fine, however it does require the RP'er doing it to do some extensive research, both in the oppsite sex way of reacting and acting to several situations. If one wants to roleplay the opposite sex I believe it is essential (today) to invest in a good voice changer. There are voice changers out there that cost money that will make you legit sound like a person of the oppsite sex.

I am not saying text RP is bad. I have met some brilliant text RP'ers over the years. I am just saying that strictly and exclusively text RP in 2019 restricts gameplay severely, both in waiting for dialouge, talking while on the move (it's kinda immersion breaking if the guy talking has to stop to talk for example). But a combination of both has been and will be the best solution.

Not too many people do this but I've seen the people that do it both play the opposite sex and use text rp and let's just say they do it extremely well. Unless you can find a really good voice changer or you're going to do text rp I'd stay away from it as it could be considered troll RP if not done to a acceptable level. On top of that text RP can get really tedious and annoying to do all the time so that's something to really think about before going ahead and playing a character of the opposite sex. That being said I personally believe that using a voice changer rather than text rp is the best way to go but if the voice changer is awful and makes it obvious that's it's a voice changer I'd personally say to not go there.