Server time (UTC): 2019-10-20, 15:20
Sign in to follow this  
Z13

Permanent player run towns

Greetings,

I would like to share my suggestion fo DayzRP server. This is a common practice for server devs to establish a base or town for active groups. Meaning a whole town that is wholy run by players and overseen by game masters. This way people can have shops, bars car repair shops etc and places that are fun to interact i n. The town is non distructable unless it is done in event run by Staff. 

This would boost rp levels on servers. 

Regards,

Z

Posted (edited)

People already sorta do/did this. 
We've had multiple player-run settlements, but most of them were eventually met with violence and aggression which let them to disband.

The idea of having a settlement that cannot be destroyed or robbed sounds fun in theory, but in practice would only lead to people using it to big-dick without the consequences of being robbed. I personally think it is best to keep everything organic and the way they are.

Edited by Banshee

Hi Z13,

Too much work for Gamemasters to try and police it all day, plus it goes against the generally organic nature of roleplay on the server.

Player run places have popped up and invariably fall apart because the players running it can't be active 24/7, aggressors get bored and constantly beat on it til it falls apart. As things are.

My one experience trying to be a part of a 'peaceful settlement' led to various hostile groups quite literally faking and inventing reasons to go to war with them, then harassing constantly to the point it was impossible to progress any personal story lines because of the constant nannying that needed to be done. 

While there are rules to 'protect' people from this (I'm looking at you 2.3) it doesn't protect against numerous hostile groups, only if one group is harassing you.

4 hours ago, Banshee said:

People already sorta do/did this. 
We've had multiple player-run settlements, but most of them were eventually met with violence and aggression which let them to disband.

The idea of having a settlement that cannot be destroyed or robbed sounds fun in theory, but in practice would only lead to people using it to big-dick without the consequences of being robbed. I personally think it is best to keep everything organic and the way they are.

Just make a prison and police that would suspend players that promote agression.

And yes dayz is a military survival game, but who said that dayzrp shouldnt be different by having semi civil town that promotes quality rp.

4 hours ago, Rover said:

Hi Z13,

Too much work for Gamemasters to try and police it all day, plus it goes against the generally organic nature of roleplay on the server.

Player run places have popped up and invariably fall apart because the players running it can't be active 24/7, aggressors get bored and constantly beat on it til it falls apart. As things are.

My one experience trying to be a part of a 'peaceful settlement' led to various hostile groups quite literally faking and inventing reasons to go to war with them, then harassing constantly to the point it was impossible to progress any personal story lines because of the constant nannying that needed to be done. 

While there are rules to 'protect' people from this (I'm looking at you 2.3) it doesn't protect against numerous hostile groups, only if one group is harassing you.

GM shouldnt do all that, with 80 players online constantly I am sure there can be one or two enforcere + npc guards(i am not sure if there is working mod for that). 

From my expierience in other rp games, players that want to take active engagement in social affairs and jobs will provide good portion of rp fun. It all comes down to safe space, guards and a functional tank or two. Anyway it is a big difference if town is player built and maintained vs permament secure settlement that is overwatched by gm time after time.

People are always gonna find a reason to knock over someone's sandcastle. If you take that ability away though, its gonna take away the ability to have natural RP.

It's a nice idea but the current system of settlements that last 3-7 days is working well enough.

Posted (edited)

As people have said before me, the idea of something kinda forced and not organic makes me want to avoid the place overall. I think we’ve had a discussion about this before somewhere.

Edited by groovy nate

-User has been warned for this post-

Yeah, Just do it yourself. Don't need to be handheld to run a town. Establish a government, set up the town, get medical personnel, form a militia to stop threats, ect ect ect. Don't need god to hold your hand. It's the apocalypse not candy land

No

its better if its just run by players without staff 

Its not hard to run a town just gotta work ic with other peps

Nope. No thanks.

People don't need to have their hands held by staff to do this. Anybody can do this in game, it's not hard to start, it's just maintaining them is incredibly difficult, and they usually don't last long, but it still drives stories and such. A settlement overseen by staff (Which would never happen, none of us have that kind of time) and shielded by rule armour would just bring more drama than the settlement is worth.

No, Please don't do this 

Could lead to people being forced to avoid an area because the area is owned by a hostile group

Nah, if you really want to run a town just get a good group of people that can defend themselves. We have done it before plenty of times without any issues.