Server time (UTC): 2019-10-22, 12:40
Sign in to follow this  
andysuter

Best guns/ best equipment..... why?

I have a question for the community which has an impact on the ‘bigger picture’ of base building etc.

We are all here, or supposed to be, for RP purposes. We came here as we are either roleplayers at heart or wanted a fuller experience away from the KOS of public and other servers. I think we can all agree on that?

My question is this……

With RP being the centre of why we are all here, why is a large proportion of the in game population obsessed with getting the best gun, best equipment and running around looking like a special forces expert?

I did a poll recently re whether people play military or civilian and very few said they play military. This was great to hear but then you look in game and its nothing like that at all. Outside of the strong RP groups dotted around, the majority are in military gear and sporting SCAR rifles or get wet underwear if they find an M14. I then looked on typically random days at the ‘new survivors’ page on here. Over 50% are ex military which goes away from the results of the quick poll I did. In game people are always talking about doing trips to military camps etc or go on helicopter spawn runs.

I just don’t get why, on an RP server, having the best gun/ammo/NVG etc is seen as must haves to a portion of the community. Now the servers have been wiped, there will be a big influx in numbers on both servers as people start panicking and need to go find the best guns again.

The bigger picture I mentioned, is that all this collecting the best loot means you sweat over someone stealing it, so the bases get bigger, more secure, AOGM creeps in and you end up never leaving the base unless its to collect more building supplies or to go on a gun/ammo run.

You then end up with the only RP some groups doing is PVP as X group had raided Y groups stash of guns and it becomes an organised PVP server.

There are groups out there that hide away from others as they would rather RP than PVP but finding them and breaking into their ranks is quite tough as they are naturally suspicious. I did find  a couple of such groups recently and it was so refreshing, which ironically Is such a shame on what is essentially an RP server

I don’t know what the answer is really other than just stop and think why you are on an RP server in the first place……

We are all here for roleplay, but at the end of the day there's no greater feeling quite like dunking on some kids

So it usually depends on what sort of character I’m playing for my loadout and clothing options.

if I’m playing a military or paramilitary sort of character, I will almost 100% use a sort of military load out with any appropriate gear for protection, optics and weapons. 

If my character knows how to use it ( and honestly it’s simple to figure out even if not military trained ) then I will seek out and use such items if they make life easy and Increase my chances of survival. I dislike the pure military look of combat helmets, full camo and stuff, to me it’s unrealistic for lone survivors to wear all that shit everyday. It’s heavy, not comfortable and makes you a target. I prefer rocking the maximum protection but In the lowest profile possible. No obvious camo, jeans and black button up or perhaps camo pants and cargo pants. A vest, usually a plate carrier on western characters and the new 6b5 on eastern and chuck it in a backpack when not In use ( because that shit is heavy and makes you sweat and chafe when worn for extended periods ). If I have a helmet/NVGs I keep that in my bag when not in use because wearing a helmet all day hurts.

weapon wise I’ll use what works and when that has passed I use preference. AKs are solid and preform well at any range, sights kinda suck but that’s whatever. 

Ultimately i really hate when people talk about gear and others yell and scream “It’s an RP server you don’t need gear” but gear makes the character experience better and overall adds to it. Also Dayz as a whole is a looter shooter survival. You spend normally 60% of your time looking even if you don’t notice it. 

37 minutes ago, andysuter said:

we are either roleplayers at heart or wanted a fuller experience away from the KOS of public and other servers.

You said it yourself. One bunch of people are roleplayers at heart, probably much like yourself. Another bunch are players who just want to avoid KOS, and now they can finally loot whatever they want whenever they want with little to no consequences. But ofc there are also people who just want to stay safe, I'd personally much rather have the upper hand in any hostile situation 🤷‍♂️

There's a  portion of the community that feels that they won't be able to perform as well in situations unless they have the best possible advantages within the confines of the game. Not to mention that it's almost natural to want the best possible gear (in any game) to feel like you've achieved something or have something 'rare'.

The hostile roleplayers want the best guns and equipment to be able to do their job, the non-hostile roleplayers want the very same to give them the best shot at defending themselves. It doesn't help that what is considered good military gear is far too easily attained, which makes it hard for anyone to resist picking it up (I'm guilty as charged, wearing a brown retextured press vest which has some pretty good ballistic protection).

But that's just a part of the community. There's plenty of people still out there that stick to the more civilian side of things. Most of the times it just feels like there's too much focus on the high grade gear because the most prominent groups an individuals tend to favor that kind of gear and therefor that's far more often spotted or encountered than the civilian variants. Not to mention that some roleplayers tailor their characters very well to the military style and roleplay that out with equal skill.

best gun: Sawed off Mosin of course

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

So it usually depends on what sort of character I’m playing for my loadout and clothing options.

if I’m playing a military or paramilitary sort of character, I will almost 100% use a sort of military load out with any appropriate gear for protection, optics and weapons. 

If my character knows how to use it ( and honestly it’s simple to figure out even if not military trained ) then I will seek out and use such items if they make life easy and Increase my chances of survival. I dislike the pure military look of combat helmets, full camo and stuff, to me it’s unrealistic for lone survivors to wear all that shit everyday. It’s heavy, not comfortable and makes you a target. I prefer rocking the maximum protection but In the lowest profile possible. No obvious camo, jeans and black button up or perhaps camo pants and cargo pants. A vest, usually a plate carrier on western characters and the new 6b5 on eastern and chuck it in a backpack when not In use ( because that shit is heavy and makes you sweat and chafe when worn for extended periods ). If I have a helmet/NVGs I keep that in my bag when not in use because wearing a helmet all day hurts.

weapon wise I’ll use what works and when that has passed I use preference. AKs are solid and preform well at any range, sights kinda suck but that’s whatever. 

Ultimately i really hate when people talk about gear and others yell and scream “It’s an RP server you don’t need gear” but gear makes the character experience better and overall adds to it. Also Dayz as a whole is a looter shooter survival. You spend normally 60% of your time looking even if you don’t notice it. 

Yeah I get all that, if you are playing a military character you want to look like a military character, but if you are playing a civilian (over 2/3rd of the poll I did claimed this) then you don’t need a high end gun, helmet with NVG etc unless its not RP you are here for at all.

Its probably the wrong place to ask as I find most forum users are strong RP’rs, its just the vibe I get on here  compared to actual ingame is totally different and most are just wanting to play in there own bubble (hence a number of people asking for RP groups as they are bored of the hi/bye types which fits with the bubble players)

1 minute ago, andysuter said:

Yeah I get all that, if you are playing a military character you want to look like a military character, but if you are playing a civilian (over 2/3rd of the poll I did claimed this) then you don’t need a high end gun, helmet with NVG etc unless its not RP you are here for at all.

Its probably the wrong place to ask as I find most forum users are strong RP’rs, its just the vibe I get on here  compared to actual ingame is totally different and most are just wanting to play in there own bubble (hence a number of people asking for RP groups as they are bored of the hi/bye types which fits with the bubble players)

No no and no.

just because you are a ‘civilian’ doesn’t mean you don’t want or need to use a higher end rifle. Ultimately you want the best protection. So just because I play a civilian in the apocalypse mean I have to kill zombies and maybe people with two rocks I found because ‘I am dumb civie and don’t know how to pull trigger gud.’

you don’t NEED them, but you can aim to have them for sure. NVGs at night are the best option to have all around. I’m really getting tired as well of people dancing around the whole “your not here for RP” phrase. It’s frankly insulting to assume people are not here for RP just because their goals are different then your own or they enjoy a different style of RP. That way of thinking only further separates the player community and builds a whole ‘it’s us versus those dirty PVPers’ mentality that nearly killed the community a number of times.

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

No no and no.

just because you are a ‘civilian’ doesn’t mean you don’t want or need to use a higher end rifle. Ultimately you want the best protection. So just because I play a civilian in the apocalypse mean I have to kill zombies and maybe people with two rocks I found because ‘I am dumb civie and don’t know how to pull trigger gud.’

you don’t NEED them, but you can aim to have them for sure. NVGs at night are the best option to have all around. I’m really getting tired as well of people dancing around the whole “your not here for RP” phrase. It’s frankly insulting to assume people are not here for RP just because their goals are different then your own or they enjoy a different style of RP. That way of thinking only further separates the player community and builds a whole ‘it’s us versus those dirty PVPers’ mentality that nearly killed the community a number of times.

Ok chill your beans, I was just asking the question, no need to get all hyped over it.

However, im a civilian in real life. If there were a zombie apocalypse I sure as hell wouldn’t be thinking “oh I need to go raid the nearest military base to go get me a high end automatic rifle and some night vision goggles that I have zero idea how to use”. Id be thinking I may know how to fire a shotgun and maybe even load it. I wouldn’t have a clue about NVG or even what a ballistic vest even looks like or how to wear it.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, andysuter said:

if you are playing a civilian (over 2/3rd of the poll I did claimed this) then you don’t need a high end gun, helmet with NVG etc unless its not RP you are here for at all.

Pretty much what @Hex said. If you (assuming you are a civillian with no military training) are living in a very violent post-apocalyptic world where people get shot everyday and you would come across a pair of NVGs, an M4 and a helmet that can save your life, are you saying would not take them and stick with your flashlight, beanie and your fathers hunting rifle?

Edited by Osku

1 minute ago, andysuter said:

Ok chill your beans, I was just asking the question, no need to get all hyped over it.

However, im a civilian in real life. If there were a zombie apocalypse I sure as hell wouldn’t be thinking “oh I need to go raid the nearest military base to go get me a high end automatic rifle and some night vision goggles that I have zero idea how to use”. Id be thinking I may know how to fire a shotgun and maybe even load it. I wouldn’t have a clue about NVG or even what a ballistic vest even looks like or how to wear it.

It’s two years after the apocalypse in current lore, people have had plenty of time to learn.

Posted (edited)

What I use to limit myself from being too much of anything is to just pick an outfit.

I want all my characters to be memorable for the people I meet. I want others that i've already met to recognize me as soon as they see me. That's why I ALWAYS have an outfit for my character. Especially when I played as one of my Sombrero wearing Mexicans.
Having a certain look stops you from searching for camo clothing and it also makes me adjust the weapons I have to look good and fit with the type of clothing I have.

My fat mexican Janitor never wore any military clothing and only had a simple civilian rifle with him because it would look stupid having him walking around with the clothing he had and a big AK on his back.

37 minutes ago, Hex said:

It’s two years after the apocalypse in current lore, people have had plenty of time to learn.

But not everyone wants to play a character that is already a veteran survivor. Some people like to have their characters learn stuff as they play.

Edited by barto300

1 minute ago, barto300 said:

What I use to limit myself from being too much of anything is to just pick an outfit.

I want all my characters to be memorable for the people I meet. I want others that i've already met to recognize me as soon as they see me. That's why I ALWAYS have an outfit for my character. Especially when I played as one of my Sombrero wearing Mexicans.
Having a certain look stops you from searching for camo clothing and it also makes me adjust the weapons I have to look cool with the type of clothing I had.

My fat mexican Janitor never wore any military clothing and only had a simple civilian rifle with him because it would look stupid having him walking around with the clothing he had and a big AK on his back.

That’s exactly the sort of approach I try to take and what I though dayzrp would be about. I have met others like that too (mostly on S2 where they go to get away from the pvp war groups).

Im just surprised at all the fascination with getting the best guns and equipment. I can understand it on other servers where its kill or be killed but not an RP server.

You are two years into a zombie apocalypse. 

Military gear is military gear for a reason; its useful in the field in adverse conditions. My character wears mostly all red because he likes the color, but he does wear a full assault kit vest and utility backpack and carries a military rifle with all the bells and whistles. Because we don't own houses anymore, or cars (most of us) and we have to carry our entire life on our body at any time, as well as have things quick and easy to access. Military vest/gear/kit allows that, and a 'top tier' military gun ensures you can shoot infected enough to stay alive.

It is incredibly easy to roleplay justify a situation, yet a lot of people like to take their OOC peeve of people gearing up into IC and look down on people that are kitted out.

Posted (edited)

That's probably one of my largest pet peeves on this server.

People who dress in full military, and those that dress in all black. 

I have probably one of the most random outfits you can get, which makes sense in a zombie apocalypse because you use what you can find. 

What doesn't make sense is civilians deciding to wear full military uniforms or ghillie suits just for the hell of it. It doesnt even make sense for military members either, because honestly I'm in the military and the uniform is uncomfortable as fuck.... I would easily mix and match civilian and military clothes just to be comfortable but for some reason people still follow dress regulations in a zombie apocalypse.

When I see someone dressed up in full military and donning a field pack, all I see is a quick source of gear for bandits. Then they have the nerve to complain that hostileRP is ruining the server because they couldn't run around looking like soldier with a hoarding problem.

Sorry but I'm not going to lie, if you wear full military gear, full black clothing or have a giant backpack for hoarding I already dislike you.

If you look at a zombie movie do you see everyone running to a military airfield to find equipment and weapons to look like a target?

Edited by Finn
Hate is too harsh of a word

35 minutes ago, Finn said:

Sorry but I'm not going to lie, if you wear full military gear, full black clothing or have a giant backpack for hoarding I already hate you.

What if I just like black? My feelies are hurt 😞

Honestly, I like dressing like a civilian, with a big gun, or several big guns. We're two years into this now, I aint running around with a bolt action when I know I can get my hands on an automatic. But I also dont really need to camo up at all. Only military thing my char wears is boots, because military boots be comfy as hell (at least the ones ive had in the past) and are more protective of the feet.

What I wear and what I use doesn't matter, no one remembers me as the woman wearing all black (Not anymore at least) they remember my character and her annoyingly lovable personality 🙂

14 minutes ago, Fae said:

Snip

Unless you're a goth you shouldn't be wearing all black 😂 that's just my opinions tho 

1 minute ago, Finn said:

Unless you're a goth you shouldn't be wearing all black 😂 that's just my opinions tho 

Why? 
I wear all black IRL cause im not a huge fan of colour, it doesnt suit me, why does the colour of someones clothes matter so much? 

5 minutes ago, Finn said:

3 minutes ago, Fae said:

Why? 
I wear all black IRL cause im not a huge fan of colour, it doesnt suit me, why does the colour of someones clothes matter so much? 

+1 goth lives matter stop judging Finn

My character wears all black as hes a priest but I think Finn means when people wear all back so they look like someone from  mission impossible

6 minutes ago, Fae said:

why does the colour of someones clothes matter so much? 

Because I find unrealistic that there are tons of people I meet that wear just black.

If you find it realistic, go for it.. it's just my opinion.

large-crowd-of-people-at-a-sporting-event-ANE5F0.jpg

1 minute ago, Finn said:

- ✂️ -

yeah I find it pretty realistic tbh.
Id wear what I want, and what Id wanna wear was black.
If theres a bunch of other people who like wearing black too then thats fine?

Idk why it matters.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, barto300 said:

Having a certain look stops you from searching for camo clothing and it also makes me adjust the weapons I have to look good and fit with the type of clothing I have.

This and very much this.

My character currently has a VSD, M16 suppressed and a SCAR-L suppressed. He's military trained, but looks like an average person. Wears a backward hat, bomber jacket and black cargo pants, surgical mask and bone gloves/sneakers. It's a very memorable look and I've had people call out to me from 100 ft away simply from recognizing the look. 

That being said, it's definitely very human to want to be able to protect yourselves and seek out the best equipment possible in this type of situation. You say that people wouldn't be raiding a military base, but take a look at shows like TWD - while fiction in their own right, they absolutely did just that to acquire military grade hardware and then learned how to use it appropriately. In a survival situation it's all about protetection, homesteading and building up until a government can establish order and you don't have to worry about people storming your castle.

Personally, I think it's all about how you present yourself both aesthetically as well as how you present your personality in RP. A desire to get better gear to make your life safer/easier is just human nature.

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by HazardTV

So my char is kinda one of the ones taking fire here so I guess ill explain, sort of. So Fred is technically SF, very low in the SF community that doesn't even really exist anymore (the Pathfinder Co. from the 82nd ARB) but whatever, so I kinda do my own thing, but I do go around wearing the uniform because that's what makes me different, is that I do still wear the uniform and look the part, whereas most people who were/are military have gone to civilians, although I am gonna change it up a bit here soon, I just use it because I do, and if we get OCPs or MTPs im gonna go to those, Its just what I like. Also @Finn what branch and what uniform ? I personally find the OCP ACUs comfortable enough, especially compared to Nomex coveralls or things like that

Yeah there seems to be so many "civilians" who are running around fully kitted up in military gear and the argument of people would want the best gear this far into the outbreak I just don't think that's a thing. If they're travelling all the time why would they want to be super uncomfortable in all that when they can wear nice comfy civi clothes? It's a shame so many people just want to go for the most space etc. 

Now, when it comes to having an AR I have no issues with it. If you could get your hands on one in this situation, let's face it you're going to use it. My character wears a full tracksuit, no backpack and whatever gun he can get his hands on for protection.