Server time (UTC): 2019-07-21, 20:18
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

DayZRP 19.6.4

I'm cool with the changes, just bad timing as we've been working on finishing up some rp and the entire location it was centered around just up and vanished. Gonna be interesting to see how we work around the people we've been planning on attacking having their entire base vanish. 

2 hours ago, AndreyQ said:

Build anywhere was a good addition, kinda sad to see it go away.

Pros of removing it outweigh the cons sadly. Can’t trust people to not do dumb shit with it

Posted (edited)

Doubled the resources needed to build and removed crafted nails.  Nails are once again the currency of the realm.  That is, if people bother to build anymore.

Edited by MiaPVE

1 minute ago, Whitename said:

Pros of removing it outweigh the cons sadly. Can’t trust people to not do dumb shit with it

People do dumb shit with guns all the time, but we don't remove guns from the game.

1 minute ago, AndreyQ said:

People do dumb shit with guns all the time, but we don't remove guns from the game.

Does that dumb shit include AOGM? 

Just now, Whitename said:

Does that dumb shit include AOGM? 

No, but it does include most of the rule breaks on the server.

Point is if someone abuses the mod, report them, don't remove a much-needed feature.

Just now, AndreyQ said:

Point is if someone abuses the mod, report them, don't remove a much-needed feature.

I agree, you can just report them. But it still leads to a bunch of BS... can see either side

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Pretty much bases are worthless now and have no reason to be built unless you wanna waste your time and effort on a cardboard box.

Agreed

Will there be more of a notice in the future to users that this type of drastic wipe will come?

2 hours ago, Misho said:

What solution do you propese ?

Base maintenance script it in so those that build big bases need to pay a bigger maintenance fee like in RUST

1 minute ago, Leppy Brownstar said:

Base maintenance script it in so those that build big bases need to pay a bigger maintenance fee like in RUST

Pay to who and how ? :S You do know we are modding here, not changing the source code of the game, there are things limited by the very nature of modding.

1 hour ago, AndreyQ said:

This

4 minutes ago, Misho said:

Pay to who and how ? :S You do know we are modding here, not changing the source code of the game, there are things limited by the very nature of modding.

If scripting it in wasnt an option then I could be drafted into the rules building in high valued loot areas as well as building unrealistic bases that they would be removed with out warning in all honesty the mod was good it gave players a place to set up roots build trade areas and gave groups a place to defend which increased the rp on the server what you get now is nomadic groups roaming because the generic base building is absolutely broken. Im sorry but most of the changelog i agree with but for the build anywhere and increased building materials 

20 minutes ago, Leppy Brownstar said:

If scripting it in wasnt an option then I could be drafted into the rules building in high valued loot areas as well as building unrealistic bases that they would be removed with out warning in all honesty the mod was good it gave players a place to set up roots build trade areas and gave groups a place to defend which increased the rp on the server what you get now is nomadic groups roaming because the generic base building is absolutely broken. Im sorry but most of the changelog i agree with but for the build anywhere and increased building materials 

100% agree.  I've been saying the exact same thing

So what your telling us  @Roland is that you just removed one of the best additions to the server in forever that made the base game what it should have been.  Bases are the only end game in the entire game.  I can see making it hard to make them, I agree with that, but you're cutting out a huge chunk of the Dayz experience, the way it was supposed to be played.  The dayz building system was garbage due to the horrible placement mechanic.  I love this server, but you're cutting out huge RP opportunities with all but the removal of bases.  I didn't even have a base and I'm not happy about it.  That's one reason I left for so long, there was no end game to the server and trying to create a legit community with bases and base fights/politics was impossible due to the lack of options when building.  I agree that there should be a few limitations and rules to bases as much as the next guy, but the removal of it entirely I can't agree with.  There were awesome bases that added life to the server, a feeling of life and creativity.  It should be hard to build bases, but you need them.  Its a part of the game.  the new opportunities with bases are what brought me back to the game and the server.  I love this community but we need bases at least to some degree to make the game not so, well, boring, to some degree.  All I am asking for a harder base system, but still the Build anywhere mod.  Thank you for listening to my TedTalk.

We could've used a 1 month warning on the map wipe. I spent a lot of time building 10 fences to see everything gone without a warning. I don't know how to role-play now without an actual camp/base of my own.

5 hours ago, Rover said:

If there was a downvote option on this forum, I would downvote this post. I honestly can't tell if you are joking and ribbing on the meme of hating PVP'rs.

Bases are broken. Build anywhere being implemented at the same time code-locks happened to break was terrible timing. Its far too easy to abuse the mechanics of the mod, as was seen in an ABUNDANCE of reports. Frankly I think the 'PVP'rs you reference were only involved in a handful. In almost all the reports about issues involving bases it was people thinking they were ghosted/griefed because they couldn't understand how their glitchy/abusive base design could possibly be thwarted. 

I'm not a PVP'r, and I'm glad its gone. It caused far more issues then the benefits.

People are just salty that they cant get into bases while boosting. The easiest way into base is sending in an inside man. People are so gullible, they will believe anyting you say. You dont even need any resources for it.

To answer what you are asking, my post was serious.

Posted (edited)

Okay, first of all, I am fine with most of what was done in this update, except in regards to some of the base-building mechanics.

1. I don't support that the materials required now is twice of the default amount.
  2. I don't support that construction and deconstruction of each part of a base-object, requires 2 minutes. You're talking 8 minutes for a full fence.

On a side note, I find it irritating it takes two minutes to setup a tent now, and I hope to god this patch didn't make destroying base-objects' parts 2 minutes now too, because that isn't "balancing" shit, that would be infact the opposite.

It's already frustrating, there's a lack of settlement rules; and the fact we have had a loose whitelist system for the past year, since the release, opening the server to a lot of BadRP and other problems; along with players already have to deal with the usual crap such as Ghosting, Offline-Raiding, and Game Bugs.

Literally, with one single update; this patch defeats all logical reasoning for anyone to wish to create a settlement.

I just want to say, I apologize for the rant, but this is one of those updates that has really pissed me off, and it's been a while since I have had any serious disagreements with what is done.

Edited by CamoRP
Revised my post; It was too ranty- I made it less ranty.

Posted (edited)

Waiting for Roland to do a bethesda and add building materials to the shop now after intentionally doubling the grind to get materials :L 

But seriously, don't agree with the increase to building materials (Personally think it's gonna increase griefing as you get materials back from destroying walls) , but understand performance is suffering due to so many base buildings... 

Though to counter that understanding, I strongly disagree with you using mechanics of the game to stop as much building, rather than making settlement rules. 

Also honestly gotta say fuck the 2 minutes to break a wall IF we are sticking with base building to be endgame / 2x harder to make. 

Longer time to get to the end game? Sure i can buy that... but no amount of warning points / banning of a griefer would make up for the pure devastation of just one asshole destroying weeks of work by a group in  an hour or so of ripping down every wall of a settlement... 

Edited by The Traveler

I feel like the changes to base building were made too hastily. I 100% agree with doubling the materials needed to make objects but I don't agree with removing the build anywhere mod. That mod allowed players to create more unique camps by utilising the vanilla DayZ structures like houses and barns. There was a lot of abuse but abuse should be reported.

An alternative could have been three or four sentences written into the rules about the use of the build anywhere mod would have been more than suffice to stop the abuse of the mechanics. Allowing those who obeyed the rules to build their bases anywhere. 

Everything else looks sick though, @Ducky did a good job with texturing the new clothing items and I agree with the balancing @Roland.

An interesting update for sure, Build anywhere was a good mod, if it had to go then so be it, but I agree with the sentiment that maybe a few rules would have helped, maybe not fixed the problem but helped for sure. The new items look great, and its good to see that updates are being pushed quickly. Maybe something to think of is to increase the amount of materials by 1/4 or 1/2 what they are now and adding back build anywhere ? My line of thought is that there would be less items in the world with it as you can fortify good spots rather than make your own from the ground up, combined with it costing more might work. I'm sure its been thought of but maybe it hasn't. I guess we'll have to see with the next patch

I'm not really understanding the requirement for the changes from an RP standpoint.
As strictly an RPer with little interest in PvP, the people I play with have spent the last 2 weeks building a realistic compound in Novo and trying to build a settlement.  In that time we've taken in about 100 refugees, got standing power to most of the courtyard and settlement, been attacked 6 times, fully raided 3x, held up twice during construction, made friends with mercenary groups, moved 2 other major groups into town, increased the town's population, stood up a proper police force... all through RP. 

Is it run and gun in the field? No, but it's society building.. which honestly is exactly what humanity would be doing in this kind of setting. Removing that capability from an RP standpoint seems to be extremely detrimental to the quality and quantity of RP on the server.

As for technical aspects.... yeah, I'm dumb and blind to that.

terrible update

While I'll agree that the build anywhere mod has been abused by some, this new update is a massive blow to all the roleplayers that spent a considerable amount of time and resources into trying to build a possible RP hub or just a home to live in. And the new additions tweaks to the ways things are built discourage doing it again, which means that this update will have its intended effect of less bases, but at the cost of the motivation of what I feel might be a sizable chunk of non-hostile roleplayers. At least this will combat the people that want nothing more but to have AOGM levels of fortresses where they can hide all their RolePlay and give the people trying to rob them of that RolePlay a more fair chance, I suppose, but this new update seems to favor offense over defense. 

I wish the Build Anywhere mod hadn't just been removed because some abused it. It makes making suitable homes (especially in towns or cities) very hard and finicky and in the end, not worth the trouble. I do agree with the removal of the items listed (aside from the sleeping bag, which I felt was just fine) until they're fixed properly. The items/textured being added is fine, more content is always nice to have.

This update is a bit of a mixed bag that might end up doing more harm than good. Maybe it should've been more up for discussion before it was implemented (as I do recall that people were in favor of the increase in resources required to build bases, I find that part of this update to be favorable at least). But we'll see how it changes things, only time can tell.