Server time (UTC): 2019-07-20, 08:38
Sign in to follow this  
S.Bradley

Bring Back Pre Built bases for Factions

Pre Built bases?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

In light of recent news with how many objects were being made for bases on S1 and the lag and issue it was creating, As we had a discussion on Discord about it. Many of us would like to see the old Mod days of bases where Major faction/ Approved groups could apply to have a Map edited base ( Made into the map ). 

Now some of the issues that were brought up were the Staff workload that would occur from the changes, I have a few points on this. 1. More staff work, 2. Amount of Map objects, 3. Pre-built being abandoned or group disbanding.

• 1.  Add a new staff rank that has no power All they do is be Build slaves for GMs and Admins. ( this is mainly for staff )
  • 2.  Many of the Major factions build Large community like bases, with Factions getting Pre-Built bases this would lower the number of Objects on the map from large bases.
  • 3.  If a Pre-Built Base is Abandoned by the group or the group disbanded, Staff could leave the base as it is since other groups could come to take over.

For @Mexi watch this video as well, It was posted on another thread. Just for people who don't want to read the above

@DERK owns the video sorry for the confusion, 

If You feel something should be added just PM and I'll add it to the thread with a date

Edited by S.Bradley
fixing vid

8 minutes ago, S.Bradley said:

1.  Add a new staff rank that has no power All they do is be Build slaves for GMs and Admins. ( this is mainly for staff )

Clyde Matthews: *Heavy breathing*

+1,

With the new patch, it will take 78 minutes to create ONE watchtower, originally this was 117 minutes, but it has been reduced.

If this is what the server feels will help reduce the amount of player-placed objects on the map to reduce lag, at least allow for approved groups of decent standing to have bases created through some sort of editor using in-game assets.

Of course, the bases should be applied for and reviewed, to prevent PvP/rust/death-corridor bases, and if accepted actually added to the game.

2 minutes ago, groovy stannis said:

With the new patch, it will take 78 minutes to create ONE watchtower, originally this was 117 minutes, but it has been reduced.

Do keep in mind, this total is calculated by taking the time it takes for 1 build action (Such as placing a watchtower kit) and timing that with the total amount of build actions.

A watch tower has 39 build actions if you do not count barbed wire, and with each build action taking 2 minutes each, it will take 78 minutes to complete the entire watch tower, assuming you have all the materials ready.

I like the idea. Plus 1

If you voted no plz give a reason why, would help with insight.

I like this idea, I also sort of had the same mind about it when bases were first starting to become a issue.

But there are questions and issues I have if you could answer! (Can't watch the video at work sorry); 

- Approving a base layout and during this time the group is archived/goes inactive...?
- The limits of how large/small it can be and what all in included
- The process of actually making it? We're not about to give away a free base to people just because they're in a group, right? How are they going to "pay" for it? Gather mats and drop them off in front of a GM?
- Does this mean base building is NOT possible for solo/dynamics? 
- How to clear the bases? Is this a map load? Are these placeables? What if they get broken into, does the map need to be reloaded? That requires server downtime ... Does the whole base replaced a second time or is the group responsible for maintenance and upkeep if a wall or fence is broken?
- How long does a group need to be online each week/day/month before they base is considered useless? IE; people logging on just to tap the refresh timer to keep their base then logging off without RP'ing, etc?

You forgot to credit me. Lol.

1 hour ago, S.Bradley said:

If you voted no plz give a reason why, would help with insight.

I must say, the concept looks cool and I almost voted yes.

But to me, everything that is added by gamemasters "ooc'ly" kinda breaks the very core of what rp is to me. I want groups to form and disband naturally, I want big bases to be hard to build, I want that bases can be destroyed in an ic war between fractions, I want to see the development of settlements, the struggle of survivors with ambition who try to obtain their homes, the success and failure that comes with base building.

If bases just pop up and vanish in the blink of a server restard, it would feel forced to me.
Also, I don't like the fact that an approved faction with a certain member limit would be the requirement for this type of base, because it would again strenghten the importance of ooc'ly defined factions, rather than support dynamic ic development.

I do acknowledge the problems with current basebuilding (too much raiding and server instability), and if those problems can't get resolved, I get how this idea of bases integrated in the map itself could be a solution; but I see this idea as a compromise at best, rather than an desirable solution.

Isn't this just a repost?

56 minutes ago, Brayces said:

- Approving a base layout and during this time the group is archived/goes inactive...?
- The process of actually making it? We're not about to give away a free base to people just because they're in a group, right? How are they going to "pay" for it? Gather mats and drop them off in front of a GM?
- How to clear the bases? Is this a map load? Are these placeables? What if they get broken into, does the map need to be reloaded? That requires server downtime ... Does the whole base replaced a second time or is the group responsible for maintenance and upkeep if a wall or fence is broken?
- How long does a group need to be online each week/day/month before they base is considered useless? IE; people logging on just to tap the refresh timer to keep their base then logging off without RP'ing, etc?

These answers are all based on what I think would be a good solution but it might answer some of your questions. 

- In order for the base layout to be approved. The group must show significant activity. Meaning, if half of the group is inactive and the other barely plays, it will not be approved.
- Medium sized and based around the lore of the group. Nothing overwhelming but still something to remember.
- Good question. The group could, as you said, gather enough materials and then drop it in front of a GM as a "payment".
- It would be possible. But, not in a huge scale as it was before the wipe. Meaning no 2 story castles with 4 story watchtowers. 
- This base would function purely as RP hub. It could have it's own section, where the players actually build with IG mechanics, meaning they can be broken into. Other than that, the base itself would not be destructable. 

That of course means, that the base must be constructed in a way, where it does not give the owners a significant advantage when defending. Therefore, the base must be checked if it's not too overpowerd. 
- Enough for people to visit it on daily bases and find RP. If the base will be deserted for longer period of time, just remove it.

1 hour ago, DERK said:

You forgot to credit me. Lol.

I’m sorry my love I shall fixit in a bit XD

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

-snip-

This wouldn’t stop u from building bases with if mechanics the bases would be major faction type group bases, their purpose is not for the group to have a safe only spot to hide loot it’s main purpose is to further the story of the group and server , just like haven IN The past they can very well be destroyed through Ic action 

Posted (edited)

Thank you for bringing this up Bradley.

proud emma stone GIF

I also subbed for the feels.

Edited by Luke

We remember Desal

Posted (edited)

I meant to vote yes, and I would say it should be at least be 15 active players in a group.

Edited by CamoRP

12 hours ago, Brayces said:

I like this idea, I also sort of had the same mind about it when bases were first starting to become a issue.

But there are questions and issues I have if you could answer! (Can't watch the video at work sorry); 

My personal take:

1. Approving a base layout and during this time the group is archived/goes inactive ...?

Why would this be? Obviously when a group's base layout is being approved, they continue like normal and play the game. Their patience will be rewarded with a better version of their ideal base.

2. The limits of how large/small it can be and what all in included

Should be determined by the staff team after research on how it would affect the server's performance and how much the server can take.

3. The process of actually making it? We're not about to give away a free base to people just because they're in a group, right? How are they going to "pay" for it? Gather mats and drop them off in front of a GM?

This process could work, or you could just assume based off the groups perceived political clout and manpower. Favourably the prior, of course 

4. Does this mean base building is NOT possible for solo/dynamics?

Preferably - yes. I don't mean "let's ban solos and dynamics from making their small camps in the forest", but I don't think a solo should be making a group sized base and it's probably why we're having a problem with it now. 

5. How to clear the bases? Is this a map load? Are these placeables? What if they get broken into, does the map need to be reloaded? That requires server downtime ... Does the whole base replaced a second time or is the group responsible for maintenance and upkeep if a wall or fence is broken?

Ideally, bases would be created with placeables and thus be destructible - but for the sake of roleplay and uniqueness, it may be better to use the modding tools to create bases using in-game props (like barbed wire fences, military tents, concrete walls...). In this case, it would just require good design on the part of the designer where there are multiple routes and weak-spots to attack from such as multiple entrances, an overlooking hill or open windows. I didn't play at the Haven on the Mod, but from what I can tell from PsiSyndicate's attack video on it, it seemed to suffer being too defendable. 

Destruction in this sense would be an event or an attack coordinated with game-masters. Server downtime seems frequent enough at this point, too. It would refresh at every restart as far as I know.

6. How long does a group need to be online each week/day/month before they base is considered useless? IE; people logging on just to tap the refresh timer to keep their base then logging off without RP'ing, etc?

This is painfully cynical. Base-timers and the like realistically wouldn't be handled by how often the group is on the server, since it isn't an accurate representation of how much roleplay actually occurs in the base. Upper-staff has the ability to spectate if I recall correctly, so they can check in regularly and otherwise activity can actually be gauged by player reception and remarks from staff who have roleplayed there. 

More on topic, I think this is a great idea, rewarding active play and making DayZRP more unique. Less of the same. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Brayces said:

-snipe-

1. The layout would be decided by staff, I’m sure they will ask the group leaders a general idea of the base then hey will go do what they need to do. If the group disbands while it being made staff could trash the build or they could still place it in the map for others to take over. 

2. That’s upto the staff team on how big they wish to allow their staff to make them. 

3. Bases would be made with the builder mod/map edit to reduce the lag on the server, bases would take time to make by staff so it won’t just be a 2-3 day deal of making only certain groups with the manpower to handle such things would have the chance.  I mean we could also do like a $10 fee but that for rolle to decided 

4. small groups can and will still make their small huts and such but, this is for major bases/very large bass 

5. To clear a base would be like in the past destroy the group that owns it, or simply take it over and out man power them/ the bases would be map loads, like prisons bridge 

6. Even if the group who would own the base disbands the base would still be there unless through ic like a event or such it was destroyed, so the group it self would need to be active group to even have a chance of having one, but the less they play the more a bigger and stronger group could come and take over, just like how u could with settlements just no one does lol

My main point for this theatre was so we could have unique bases and area on the map that could serve to further the lore in large directions, also to help the server since most of the large bases made by big groups have 100 objects In walls alone not including  the rest  of the bad which hurts the server.

Edited by S.Bradley

11 minutes ago, S.Bradley said:

1. The layout would be decided by staff, I’m sure they will ask the group leaders a general idea of the base then hey will go do what they need to do. If the group disbands while it being made staff could trash the build or they could still place it in the map for others to take over. 

2. That’s upto the staff team on how big they wish to allow their staff to make them. 

3. Bases would be made with the builder mod/map edit to reduce the lag on the server, bases would take time to make by staff so it won’t just be a 2-3 day deal of making only certain groups with the manpower to handle such things would have the chance.  I mean we could also do like a $10 fee but that for rolle to decided 

4.No small groups can and will still make their small huts and such but, this is for major bases/very large bass 

5. To clear a base would be like in the past destroy the group that owns it, or simply take it over and out man power them/ the bases would be map loads, like prisons bridge 

6. Even if the group who would own the base disbands the base would still be there unless through ic like a event or such it was destroyed, so the group it self would need to be active group to even have a chance of having one, but the less they play the more a bigger and stronger group could come and take over, just like how u could with settlements just no one does lol

My main point for this theatre was so we could have unique bases and area on the map that could serve to further the lore in large directions, also to help the server since most of the large bases made by big groups have 100 objects In walls alone not including  the rest  of the bad which hurts the server.

well put @S.Bradley 

Should have just bumped the other thread imo, but like I said over there. "Settlements" should be added to the map, period, not for any specific group. Add a survivor camp to the quarry. Add a survivor camp somewhere up north, and another in the West. Make them big. If a large powerful group decides it wants to take control of said settlement and nobody can stop them? It's theirs until they disband or someone takes it from them. If nobody decides to take ownership? It's still a roleplay hub where people will surely congregate.

Was going to bump it but when we were talking I. Discord people said to make a new one so the poll would rep the thoughts now

14 minutes ago, Castiel said:

I would love to see this be implemented. Miss the old days, none of the places need a safe zone and just have them group controlled.

I'll Close the Poll Now Since Rolle has made this thread now.