Server time (UTC): 2019-11-12, 12:15
Sign in to follow this  
Bishop

Microphone Suggestions for a Dummy

I have very minimal knowledge of microphones so an explanation for suggestions made would help.

I currently use the integrated microphone on my HyperX Cloud II headset but I'd like something with a little more clarity, particularly in-game. The headset itself is perfect and I'm sticking with it -  so a desk-microphone / studio microphone is what I'm looking for.

Price cap ~£100 give or take £50.

Blue yeti. 

And don't waste your time with any other crap. 

12 minutes ago, Monday said:

Blue yeti. 

And don't waste your time with any other crap. 

I've heard blue yetis aren't all they're cut out to be in terms of noise etc..

6 minutes ago, RavenousRP said:

Have either of you guys had personal experience with these mics?

1 minute ago, abyss said:

I've heard blue yetis aren't all they're cut out to be in terms of noise etc..

Have either of you guys had personal experience with these mics?

i have one right now and im in love with it honestly i've had yeti's snowballs and other mics and this is the best for me

Just now, RavenousRP said:

i have one right now and im in love with it honestly i've had yeti's snowballs and other mics and this is the best for me

Is the boom arm worth getting or will it work fine off to the side a little on my desk?

Posted (edited)

You could waste your money with a rode, but honestly at DayZ/discord quality, there is literally no point in getting something so expensive unless you need something super clear for music.

You can get a blue yeti for literally 50 quid and the popper for like 5

I can guarantee they are all they are cut out to be with sound etc

Had mine for nearly 4 years non-stop and people have told me they could hear exactly what my brother was saying from the floor above. 

Edited by Monday

If you'd like I could get in a call with you to show you the quality. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not at home at the minute but I'll probably have a look at some videos online.

If you've got a recording on someone else's perspective from in-game that might be a huge help though?

Edited by abyss

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=blue+snowball&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I personally use a Snowball, the Yeti is vastly superior but the Snowball does a good job too.

Dont forget a Pop filter.

Mate, you really don't need to shell out 100 quid on a microphone. 

Save it for a rainy day.

My advice is purchase something between 40-70 pounds, nothing more

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Monday said:

Mate, you really don't need to shell out 100 quid on a microphone. 

Save it for a rainy day.

Don't want this to come across as a 'weird flex' moment but I don't mind spending the money on a decent mic around my price point.

13 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I personally use a Snowball, the Yeti is vastly superior but the Snowball does a good job too.

Dont forget a Pop filter.

I think I'll go for the yeti - and won't forget the pop filter either!  I've watched some videos testing quality etc and I'm ready to make the decision.

Also going to look into getting some O-rings for my keyboard.

Cheers fellas.

Edited by abyss

I'd say blue yeti above everything else mate. I also have the hyper X cloud 2's, do people seem to say you're quiet for them by any chance?

4 hours ago, Saunders said:

I'd say blue yeti above everything else mate. I also have the hyper X cloud 2's, do people seem to say you're quiet for them by any chance?

I've never been told I'm quiet but that could be down to sound card / gfx card differences potentially?

Do you max out the volume on it?

2 minutes ago, abyss said:

I've never been told I'm quiet but that could be down to sound card / gfx card differences potentially?

Do you max out the volume on it?

I download old firmware for the headset so that I could max the volume, yes. However, not sure it's a gfx card thing as I had a 1080Ti. Not too sure on the sound card though, used this mic on my old and new PC and still had the same issue.

I use a Blue Snowball. It's a decent mic, with an affordable price range.

2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I download old firmware for the headset so that I could max the volume, yes. However, not sure it's a gfx card thing as I had a 1080Ti. Not too sure on the sound card though, used this mic on my old and new PC and still had the same issue.

That's weird then, I'm assuming you're using the little jack adaptor thing with the volume control at max too? 
Pretty sure that just hooks into the system volume anyway 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Onyx said:

Do you find it picks up your keyboard?

Just now, abyss said:

That's weird then, I'm assuming you're using the little jack adaptor thing with the volume control at max too? 

It can pick up conversations from people who are on the other side of the house from me, so yeah. Just use PTT if you have a mechanical keyboard.

2 minutes ago, abyss said:
5 minutes ago, Onyx said:

I have the same mic, it's very good for the price. But yeah as Onyx said, use push-to-talk.

1 minute ago, abyss said:

Yes sir, it's on full volume. It seems to have been better since I made changes to the firmware. Going back to previous firmware allowed me to change my volume on mic from 44% too 100%. Before changing firmware it was stuck on 44% and wouldn't let me change it for some odd reason 🤔

The Snowball was my got-to after my headset mic broke, and it was really good quality. I'd recommend that one, though if you're willing to throw out a little more cash you should go for the Yeti. That's the one I'm using right now and it works for every situation. Streaming, roleplay, chatting with friends, it does them all.

57 minutes ago, Onyx said:

It can pick up conversations from people who are on the other side of the house from me, so yeah. Just use PTT if you have a mechanical keyboard.

55 minutes ago, Castiel said:

I have the same mic, it's very good for the price. But yeah as Onyx said, use push-to-talk.

21 minutes ago, Jman14102 said:

The Snowball was my got-to after my headset mic broke, and it was really good quality. I'd recommend that one, though if you're willing to throw out a little more cash you should go for the Yeti. That's the one I'm using right now and it works for every situation. Streaming, roleplay, chatting with friends, it does them all.

Yeti with PTT, Orings and a pop filter it is then.

Not enough beanz in the world to go round here, cheers guys. 😊

55 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Yes sir, it's on full volume. It seems to have been better since I made changes to the firmware. Going back to previous firmware allowed me to change my volume on mic from 44% too 100%. Before changing firmware it was stuck on 44% and wouldn't let me change it for some odd reason 🤔

I used to have an issue where as I'd speak my microphone volume would automatically begin adjusting down to 0% over time. It was horrendous.

Maybe this topic is the excuse you needed to also ditch that hyperX mic in favour of a yeti? 😏

23 minutes ago, abyss said:

Yeti with PTT, Orings and a pop filter it is then.

Not enough beanz in the world to go round here, cheers guys. 😊

I used to have an issue where as I'd speak my microphone volume would automatically begin adjusting down to 0% over time. It was horrendous.

Maybe this topic is the excuse you needed to also ditch that hyperX mic in favour of a yeti? 😏

Hey man, just happy to help! 😄😁🙂