Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2019-11-12, 12:15
Sign in to follow this  
Bishop

Microphone Suggestions for a Dummy

Recommended Posts

I have very minimal knowledge of microphones so an explanation for suggestions made would help.

I currently use the integrated microphone on my HyperX Cloud II headset but I'd like something with a little more clarity, particularly in-game. The headset itself is perfect and I'm sticking with it -  so a desk-microphone / studio microphone is what I'm looking for.

Price cap ~£100 give or take £50.

Share this post


Link to post

Blue yeti. 

And don't waste your time with any other crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Monday said:

Blue yeti. 

And don't waste your time with any other crap. 

I've heard blue yetis aren't all they're cut out to be in terms of noise etc..

6 minutes ago, RavenousRP said:

Have either of you guys had personal experience with these mics?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, abyss said:

I've heard blue yetis aren't all they're cut out to be in terms of noise etc..

Have either of you guys had personal experience with these mics?

i have one right now and im in love with it honestly i've had yeti's snowballs and other mics and this is the best for me

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, RavenousRP said:

i have one right now and im in love with it honestly i've had yeti's snowballs and other mics and this is the best for me

Is the boom arm worth getting or will it work fine off to the side a little on my desk?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

You could waste your money with a rode, but honestly at DayZ/discord quality, there is literally no point in getting something so expensive unless you need something super clear for music.

You can get a blue yeti for literally 50 quid and the popper for like 5

I can guarantee they are all they are cut out to be with sound etc

Had mine for nearly 4 years non-stop and people have told me they could hear exactly what my brother was saying from the floor above. 

Edited by Monday

Share this post


Link to post

If you'd like I could get in a call with you to show you the quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I'm not at home at the minute but I'll probably have a look at some videos online.

If you've got a recording on someone else's perspective from in-game that might be a huge help though?

Edited by abyss

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=blue+snowball&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

 

I personally use a Snowball, the Yeti is vastly superior but the Snowball does a good job too.

 

Dont forget a Pop filter.

Share this post


Link to post

Mate, you really don't need to shell out 100 quid on a microphone. 

Save it for a rainy day.

My advice is purchase something between 40-70 pounds, nothing more

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Monday said:

Mate, you really don't need to shell out 100 quid on a microphone. 

Save it for a rainy day.

Don't want this to come across as a 'weird flex' moment but I don't mind spending the money on a decent mic around my price point.

13 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I personally use a Snowball, the Yeti is vastly superior but the Snowball does a good job too.

 

Dont forget a Pop filter.

I think I'll go for the yeti - and won't forget the pop filter either!  I've watched some videos testing quality etc and I'm ready to make the decision.

Also going to look into getting some O-rings for my keyboard.

Cheers fellas.

Edited by abyss

Share this post


Link to post

I'd say blue yeti above everything else mate. I also have the hyper X cloud 2's, do people seem to say you're quiet for them by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Saunders said:

I'd say blue yeti above everything else mate. I also have the hyper X cloud 2's, do people seem to say you're quiet for them by any chance?

I've never been told I'm quiet but that could be down to sound card / gfx card differences potentially?

Do you max out the volume on it?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, abyss said:

I've never been told I'm quiet but that could be down to sound card / gfx card differences potentially?

Do you max out the volume on it?

I download old firmware for the headset so that I could max the volume, yes. However, not sure it's a gfx card thing as I had a 1080Ti. Not too sure on the sound card though, used this mic on my old and new PC and still had the same issue.

Share this post


Link to post

I use a Blue Snowball. It's a decent mic, with an affordable price range.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I download old firmware for the headset so that I could max the volume, yes. However, not sure it's a gfx card thing as I had a 1080Ti. Not too sure on the sound card though, used this mic on my old and new PC and still had the same issue.

That's weird then, I'm assuming you're using the little jack adaptor thing with the volume control at max too? 
Pretty sure that just hooks into the system volume anyway 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Onyx said:

I use a Blue Snowball. It's a decent mic, with an affordable price range.

Do you find it picks up your keyboard?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, abyss said:

That's weird then, I'm assuming you're using the little jack adaptor thing with the volume control at max too? 
Pretty sure that just hooks into the system volume anyway 🤷‍♂️

Do you find it picks up your keyboard?

It can pick up conversations from people who are on the other side of the house from me, so yeah. Just use PTT if you have a mechanical keyboard.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, abyss said:
5 minutes ago, Onyx said:

I use a Blue Snowball. It's a decent mic, with an affordable price range.

Do you find it picks up your keyboard?

I have the same mic, it's very good for the price. But yeah as Onyx said, use push-to-talk.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, abyss said:

That's weird then, I'm assuming you're using the little jack adaptor thing with the volume control at max too? 
Pretty sure that just hooks into the system volume anyway 🤷‍♂️

Yes sir, it's on full volume. It seems to have been better since I made changes to the firmware. Going back to previous firmware allowed me to change my volume on mic from 44% too 100%. Before changing firmware it was stuck on 44% and wouldn't let me change it for some odd reason 🤔

Share this post


Link to post

The Snowball was my got-to after my headset mic broke, and it was really good quality. I'd recommend that one, though if you're willing to throw out a little more cash you should go for the Yeti. That's the one I'm using right now and it works for every situation. Streaming, roleplay, chatting with friends, it does them all.

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Onyx said:

It can pick up conversations from people who are on the other side of the house from me, so yeah. Just use PTT if you have a mechanical keyboard.

 

55 minutes ago, Castiel said:

I have the same mic, it's very good for the price. But yeah as Onyx said, use push-to-talk.

 

21 minutes ago, Jman14102 said:

The Snowball was my got-to after my headset mic broke, and it was really good quality. I'd recommend that one, though if you're willing to throw out a little more cash you should go for the Yeti. That's the one I'm using right now and it works for every situation. Streaming, roleplay, chatting with friends, it does them all.

Yeti with PTT, Orings and a pop filter it is then.

Not enough beanz in the world to go round here, cheers guys. 😊

55 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Yes sir, it's on full volume. It seems to have been better since I made changes to the firmware. Going back to previous firmware allowed me to change my volume on mic from 44% too 100%. Before changing firmware it was stuck on 44% and wouldn't let me change it for some odd reason 🤔

I used to have an issue where as I'd speak my microphone volume would automatically begin adjusting down to 0% over time. It was horrendous.

Maybe this topic is the excuse you needed to also ditch that hyperX mic in favour of a yeti? 😏

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, abyss said:

 

 

Yeti with PTT, Orings and a pop filter it is then.

Not enough beanz in the world to go round here, cheers guys. 😊

I used to have an issue where as I'd speak my microphone volume would automatically begin adjusting down to 0% over time. It was horrendous.

Maybe this topic is the excuse you needed to also ditch that hyperX mic in favour of a yeti? 😏

Hey man, just happy to help! 😄😁🙂

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...